[Archived] Scenario 5: Islands

Feedback for the mainline campaign Winds of Fate.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Archived] Scenario 5: Islands

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) What did you think about the dialog and story?
(4) What were the major challenges you faced?
(5) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(6) What suggestions do you have to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
StonemasonHans

Re: Scenario 5: Islands

Post by StonemasonHans »

(1) Aspirant (Challenging), Wesnoth 1.14.11.
(2) 7 - This is very bloody battle. You can't have too many units and are at terrain disadvantage. Even luring nagas onto the islands doesn't work too much, because 1)they are too small, 2) it disrupts your line and 3) nagas still have better defense than drakes there. You also have no healers and just one village for the main battle, and very little space to retreat wounded units there. One thing that helps is the summer time schedule. Basically you just need to be very aggressive and be prepared to sacrifice even leveled units. My strategy was to kill the SE leader first with all of my troops and then just defending on my starting island and slowly killing all enemies. I think trying to delay the northern enemies with a few spam units wouldn't work, because they would get slaughtered very fast.
(3) It was OK.
(4) The sea serpents. Just when I thought I was starting to overcome the nagas, serpents who deal massive damage and have large number of hitpoints came. I think their number could be decreased (maybe 1 for easy, 2 for medium and 3 for hard) or they could come a few turns later. Also, the turn limit was quite tight, but there's no way to get gold carryover there anyway.
(5) 6. It was not so fun losing valuable units, but lets you experience how aggressive drakes are. The summer time is nice.
(6) I know it's the map from TRoW, but maybe making the starting island a little bigger and adding one or two villages there could help. And maybe something about the serpents as mentioned above.
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

How come the Drakes seek to ally with the Nagas rather than the Merfolk, when the former are Neutral/Evil'ish, and the latter are Lawful?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

revolting_peasant wrote: May 13th, 2022, 2:33 pm How come the Drakes seek to ally with the Nagas rather than the Merfolk, when the former are Neutral/Evil'ish, and the latter are Lawful?
"Lizards/Reptiles"

Merfolk are more fish-oriented whereas Nagas are closer to reptilian like the drakes. At least, that's the reason I assumed while playing this scenario.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
revolting_peasant

The Contention scenario promised me that if I win, I will "forever have loyal intendants from the other castes".

So, where are those loyal intendants? Reshan is not loyal; no warrior is auto-recalled, and my L2 recalls are not loyals.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

revolting_peasant wrote: May 13th, 2022, 3:48 pm The Contention scenario promised me that if I win, I will "forever have loyal intendants from the other castes".

So, where are those loyal intendants? Reshan is not loyal; no warrior is auto-recalled, and my L2 recalls are not loyals.
One of each caste. So, there will be one loyal Arbiter/Thrasher and one loyal Warrior. Reshan is your Intendent of the Glider caste and he is a hero. The mighty Gorlack is of the Burner caste, and so no intendent for there as he already is one. Thus you're supposed to get 2. The Arbiter/Thrasher comes to you in S6, BTW.
revolting_peasant

Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 13th, 2022, 4:08 pm So, there will be one loyal Arbiter/Thrasher
The loyal Thrasher is missing.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 13th, 2022, 4:08 pm and one loyal Warrior.
The loyal warrior is missing.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 13th, 2022, 4:08 pm Reshan is your Intendent of the Glider caste and he is a hero.
Ah, ok, so no upkeep for him. But - why not also mark him as Loyal? It clarifies things, plus, he's literally loyal to Gorlack.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 13th, 2022, 4:08 pm The mighty Gorlack is of the Burner caste, and so no intendent for there as he already is one. Thus you're supposed to get 2.
The Arbiter/Thrasher comes to you in S6, BTW.

Nope, nobody came. Also, I should have been told I won't actually have it immediately.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

I think I should also mention that Intendants get picked from your existing recalls. Not as fresh units. Like if you have a Warrior or Blademaster in recall, they become your intendants.

Same for the other Intendant of the Clasher caste.
ut - why not also mark him as Loyal? It clarifies things, plus, he's literally loyal to Gorlack.
A hero unit counts as a loyal in every way and has more plot significance. So, one loyal icon over the hero icon seems unnecessary.

Additionally, WoF's next patch is supposed to give you a Thrasher and an Arbiter in time for S6. So, I guess that might improve things.
revolting_peasant

What about the missing Warrior intendant though?
Lord-Knightmare wrote:I think I should also mention that Intendants get picked from your existing recalls
I've realized this should be the case, but it's not 100% clear in the text the user gets, I feel.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

What about the missing Warrior intendant though?
If you have a Blademaster, then that unit is chosen as the Intendant of the fighter Caste. So no further drake warrior is chosen, AFAIK.
I've realized this should be the case, but it's not 100% clear in the text the user gets, I feel.
Hmm, i tried to make it clear in the walkthrough but seems I have to add more simplified english in there.
revolting_peasant

Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 13th, 2022, 7:20 pm If you have a Blademaster, then that unit is chosen as the Intendant of the fighter Caste. So no further drake warrior is chosen, AFAIK.
The campaign text said an L2 veteran is sufficient for Gorlack to have an intendant from a caste...
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 13th, 2022, 7:20 pm Hmm, i tried to make it clear in the walkthrough but seems I have to add more simplified english in there.
I didn't mean the walkthrough, I meant inside the game itself.
revolting_peasant

I couldn't find a forum thread for LandFall, so I'll mention my Intendants are unavailable there, either.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

revolting_peasant wrote: May 14th, 2022, 5:49 pm I couldn't find a forum thread for LandFall, so I'll mention my Intendants are unavailable there, either.
The forums are very outdated and no update had been done as usual.
Anyways, I think the story plot reasons for that is:

"Gorlack and Reshan and some fresh fighters and gliders had flow ahead of the main flight so your recalls are unavailable"
Also, maybe post feedback on the campaign's main dev thread? It is more recent and has the latest info viewtopic.php?t=49140