The Sojournings of Grog (3.6.1 is out)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.1.1 is out)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Wesbreak over, yay! :D
bigkahuna wrote:it says that there are "23 scenarios, 19 of which are playable." Does that mean that 4 are dialogue only, or that the campaign is as of yet incomplete? It made me question the 3.x.x version. Maybe this could be clarified better?
Yes, the campaign is complete: the four scenarios are dialogue only. Perhaps I'll should change the phrase as "23 scenarios, 19 playable and 4 dialogue only".
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.2.0 is out)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

After a long time, a new version of TSoG is released on the 1.11 server. Due to the several compatibility-breaking changes that I implemented, I decided to mark this release as 3.2.0. If you're already playing an older version of the campaign please do not update unless you're comfortable with either restarting from scratch or directly into the second part.
That said, this release includes 48 between updates, bugfixes and new features: for example, now we have an Italian translation courtesy of bzame of the WIF, Elyssa's terrain change code is now converted to Lua for performance reasons, there is a Whimsical Amulet that you can find (directly inspired by the Whimsical Star in Cave Story), the prisoner code in A3 and A7 is now completely reworked, you can control allied sides with a right-click menu... and I also found a bug involving wmllint and [clear_menu_item], for which I'll commit a fix in mainline ASAP.
So, have fun and please report any bug or issue that you may find. 8)
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Nobody? Nothing at all? I'm disappointed.

Woodruff wrote:Ok, I've gotten all the way to the final battle, against the dragon. I've got a large number of level 3 trolls and a good number of level 2's.

But I'm getting squashed repeatedly, not even a contest.

The mermen seem to do VERY well against the nagas but then have nothing to do because they're basically only sea-useful, the elves are almost useless other than their ability to use "slow" and the humans are basically just a distraction to pull away drakes toward them.

Any strategy hints?
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

hey, first of all, great campaign. Playing trolls underground rocks.
1. In general i'm find it a bit too easy on easy. I think even easy should be a bit challenging from time to time.
2. I'm currently at the scenario "every troll do his duty" and the ring who is dropped by the first orcish leader is a bit problematic. If i move a unit on it and decline the ring, after every move by any of your units the menu pops up again, even if the unit does not stand on the hex. Also, I can accept it from every field. I did this, and the image of the ring didn't disappeared. Also i think giving 2 moves with the ring is a bit op. I'd give 1 move.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Woodruff wrote:Ok, I've gotten all the way to the final battle, against the dragon. I've got a large number of level 3 trolls and a good number of level 2's.

The mermen seem to do VERY well against the nagas but then have nothing to do because they're basically only sea-useful, the elves are almost useless other than their ability to use "slow" and the humans are basically just a distraction to pull away drakes toward them.

Any strategy hints?
Well, it's never easy to rebalance a scenario with so many sides. However, I can suggest you to try setting the Humans to play defensively (now you can with the right-click menu), or even try taking control of them at the start. In case that it's still impossible, I can raise their gold.
Paulomat4 wrote:1. In general i'm find it a bit too easy on easy. I think even easy should be a bit challenging from time to time.
Well, on easy it's supposed to be easy. Try playing on Normal or Hard and let me know your opinion. :wink:
Paulomat4 wrote:2. I'm currently at the scenario "every troll do his duty" and the ring who is dropped by the first orcish leader is a bit problematic. If i move a unit on it and decline the ring, after every move by any of your units the menu pops up again, even if the unit does not stand on the hex. Also, I can accept it from every field. I did this, and the image of the ring didn't disappeared. Also i think giving 2 moves with the ring is a bit op. I'd give 1 move.
That's not supposed to happen. Thank you for the bug report, I'll look at it - altough I think that it's an issue with delayed_variable_substitution. Please attach a savegame of that turn, if possible, to make my work quicker. :)
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

That's not supposed to happen. Thank you for the bug report, I'll look at it - altough I think that it's an issue with delayed_variable_substitution. Please attach a savegame of that turn, if possible, to make my work quicker. :)
Ok, here you go. (I recreated the situation using debug mode, as i only had the scenario savefile)
I did just kill the orc, i did not stepped on the ring. Everytime i move anywhere with any unit the menu pops up.
TSoG-Every_Troll_do_his_Duty_Runde_1.gz
(60.06 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
The southguard is a pretty good scenario. I almost only used trolls, and always swapped them after one turn. Add this to good defensive places, and you can hold out for very long. The thing which bugs a bit is, that in the end by turn 45 or so, every enemy had like 50 units. It took forever for the ai to play.

In the northgate, i didn't even see the dwarves, as i killed all enemy leaders before, and moved elyssa and grog to the signpost before. At which turn were they supposed to arrive?

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.2.1 is out)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Thanks for the savegame. I just uploaded a new version, 3.2.1, that fixes this bug. It was caused by two missing delayed_variable_substitution=no. Simple as that. :)
Paulomat4 wrote:In the northgate, i didn't even see the dwarves, as i killed all enemy leaders before, and moved elyssa and grog to the signpost before. At which turn were they supposed to arrive?
This is caused by the fact that you held them for so many turns - compliments for that. This is the exact formula:

Code: Select all

#calculate the changes in arrival turns
        [set_variable]
            name=turns_survived
            sub=6
        [/set_variable]

[if]
            [variable]
                name=turns_survived
                greater_than=3
            [/variable]
            [then]
                [set_variable]
                    name=turns_survived
                    divide=2
                [/set_variable]
                [set_variable]
                    name=turns_survived
                    round=ceil
                [/set_variable]
            [/then]
            [else]
                [set_variable]
                    name=turns_survived
                    value=3
                [/set_variable]
            [/else]
        [/if]
So, for 45 turns: ceil((45-6)/2)=20. Sum this to the 16 turns passed when Zurg arrives: it makes 36. So, in that case Dwarves arrive on turn 36.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

This is caused by the fact that you held them for so many turns - compliments for that.
Yeah, as I already mentioned, I'm playing on easy. I always thought of myself as bad player, but who knows I might have improved :hmm:
The southgate is really easy if you have the right tactic. Recruiting as many trolls as you can, and nothing but trolls. the western tunnel can be hold off, by 4 exactly 4 trolls, as no dwarf is able to do more than 32 damage in a turn. (except ulf- and berserkers who cause you to lose at the end but only after many many turns). The southern entrance is the most difficult to defend but it's okay too. If you take the castle, then every troll can only be attacked by 2 dwarves at once and has good (for trolls) defenses. The only hex, where you can be attacked by 3 dwarves is harder to hold, but i always place the leader behind. At lvl. 3 he has protection, and is also good, for killing the occasional dwarf who might break through. east has only two places, where the enemy can get through and only one at once, so no problem.

Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Woodruff wrote:Nobody? Nothing at all? I'm disappointed.

Any strategy hints?
It's been a very long time since I played the last scenario. Definitely take control of all the sides. If I remember correctly... As you say, the mermen can kill the Naga's. Use the Elvish side very defensively to hold off the initial attack, likewise, line the human units up along the river edge and ride out the initial attack. With the trolls you should have plenty of level 3's by now and just spend all your gold, make a solid line and slowly advance.

Essentially you're waiting for the Drakes to burn through their gold and rely on income.
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Homecoming: There is a bug on turn 6 or 7 in the attached replay. Intruder alarm event fires strangedly, then thunderer comes right next to Grog - going right over 2 of elves. Another detail can be seen at the end of the replay: I left my army on the northern side of the bridge, then sent 2 units to step on the runes. Elyssa blasted the bridges anyway.
Attachments
TSoG-The_Homecoming_replay.gz
(44.71 KiB) Downloaded 691 times
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.2.2 is out)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Neuromancer wrote:Homecoming: There is a bug on turn 6 or 7 in the attached replay. Intruder alarm event fires strangedly, then thunderer comes right next to Grog - going right over 2 of elves.
Excuse me for not having noticed this post for so much time. :oops: I'll check it.
Neuromancer wrote:Another detail can be seen at the end of the replay: I left my army on the northern side of the bridge, then sent 2 units to step on the runes. Elyssa blasted the bridges anyway.
That's intentional: if the situation is desperate, you may want to sacrifice one of your units by leaving it at north, and then activating the runes. However, I can modify it so the bridges won't be blasted if a unit is still on it.
Anyway, time for a new release! I uploaded version 3.2.2 to the 1.11 add-ons server.
This time, I had to remove both the Khalifate units and the two suns ToD, as they're both mainlined in the latest development version (this sets the minimum version requirement to 1.11.8 ). I also replaced the Cave Spider with the Lesser Giant Spider from IftU and Era of Two Suns, adding Eternal (the original sprite author) to the credits. I also added a Castle-Tirigaz-night story screen that I made (honestly, it was just a quick recoloring) using XnView MP.
[advertising]
XnView is a nice freeware image viewer that runs natively on Windows, Mac OS and Linux, and can open more than 500 file formats. If you want to give it a try, go here: http://www.xnview.com .
[/advertising]
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.3.0 is out)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Could this campaign be missing from the 1.12 server? Of course not! I uploaded a new version, labeled 3.3.0, to the aforementioned server.
This time, I finally updated all the scenarios' IDs and names to follow mainline conventions (and to avoid wmllint pestering me with warnings due to the # who directives :evil: . This breaks backwards compatibility, hence the update of the second digit in version number - but we're starting on a fresh server, so it doesn't really matter ;) ). Hack start does not exist anymore (it was a remnant of the development stage, after all), Council of War is now merged with Defense (it contained just some story screens), some code cleanup and simplifications, and before blasting the bridge into smithereens in Homecoming, Elyssa asks for a confirmation.
So, as usual, have fun and please report any bug that you may find, or post any suggestion that you have. :)
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I'm playing the latest 1.10 version (easy), and are now on "The South Gate".

On Turn 56, it doesn't look like I would have any problems holding the dwarves much longer.
Is there any point in doing so, as it gets a bit boring?
The South Gate turn 56
The South Gate turn 56
First I held at the outer walls (with occasionally some trolls venturing even outside), but when the berserkers arrived I fell back to an inner position where only 1 + 3 + 2 guys are holding the line. Note how the non-berserking dwarfes are blocking the way for the berserking ones.
Attachments
TSoG-The_South_Gate_turno_56-3.gz
(222.3 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

From what I remember:

The longer you hold out for, the longer it takes them to arrive in the next scenario, something is chirping in the back of my mind saying "40 turns" is the point at which the maximum delay is reached for the next scenario. But I wouldn't take that as definite.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I had approximately the same situation as you. In a few turns there should be no normal dwarf left, and the berserkers will cut through your ranks.