The Sojournings of Grog (3.6.1 is out)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Daravel

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.3.0 is out)

Post by Daravel »

I'm going to do something I promised to do, oh so long ago, play through on hard and see what I think. No doubt I'll find some dialogue that I messed up along the way also.
Don't hold your breath though!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Daravel wrote:I'm going to do something I promised to do, oh so long ago, play through on hard and see what I think. No doubt I'll find some dialogue that I messed up along the way also.
Don't hold your breath though!
What a curious coincidence! Recently, I had an idea about the White Mage that you rescue in Nemesis: I was thinking of turning him into a Blue Mage with a cold attack (this will explain why he was captured so easily by the Undead, and why the town needs him: because his magic was terribly useful to keep in check the Drakes)...
Let's see if I can recolor a sprite for him, and how much time I'll need to implement this. :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
marat

Post by marat »

I wish you a good time.

Russian translation of campaign is ready. (100%)

+translation corrected and and amended for 3.3.1
Attachments
wesnoth-The_Sojournings_of_Grog.7z
.MO+.PO corrected and and amended (30.07.2015) new version
(108.16 KiB) Downloaded 773 times
MO_wesnoth-The_Sojournings_of_Grog.7z
old version
(92.65 KiB) Downloaded 653 times
PO_wesnoth-The_Sojournings_of_Grog.7z
old version
(96.9 KiB) Downloaded 632 times
Last edited by marat on July 30th, 2015, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.3.1 is out)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

marat wrote:I wish you a good time.
Thank you, and have a nice day :)
I just uploaded version 3.3.1 of the campaign to the 1.12 add-ons server. This release includes marat's Russian translation, a small update to the QR code that links to this topic, and a WML trick that I originally designed for the Wesnoth Italian Forum.
In the Homecoming scenario, Elyssa can blast some parts of the map using some lightning bolts. Until now, since I needed to center the point of the bolt on the tile to be destroyed, these were produced by using an enlarged version of the core lighting images. Instead, now I'm using an empty 1x1 PNG image, which is stretched using the ImagePath functions, and then I blit the mainline lightning bolt images on it. Long short story: about 500kB saved. 8)
For everyone interested, here there is one of the blocks of code that make this possible:

Code: Select all

[item]
                halo=clear.png~SCALE(200,720)~BLIT(halo/lightning-bolt-1-1.png,0,0)
                x,y={X},{Y}
            [/item]
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.4.0 is out)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

forumnecromancer.png
forumnecromancer.png (47.36 KiB) Viewed 8911 times
So, uhm, hello. Long time no see. I'm suspecting that some of you might have been wondered about my disappearance; the truth is that, after January, I became so overworked that I was unable to even look at a forum post (much less IRC or Discord) or a single line of code. Now I'm back for the summer, but starting from November I'll have to go on a Wesbreak again. I'll try to not disappear again like I had to, but unfortunately I cannot make any promises. That's life, I guess... :augh:
With that said, I can finally announce that the 3.4.0 version of The Sojournings of Grog has been uploaded to the 1.14 add-ons server. Many changes were made in order to port the campaign to the new stable series, but there are a few that affect gameplay. First of all, I imported the new Quenoth Elves from UtBS, and then I made Ormron a Blue Mage; this last change explains why he was captured by the Undead so easily, as well as explaining how the Humans were able to keep themselves safe from the Drakes. For now, the Blue Mage has the same stats of the Red Mage line (plus a Freezing ability), but this might be fixed if it proves too powerful against the Drakes.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Oh, that's it. I'll finally have to compile the wesnoth-1.14.3.tar.bz2 file.
francescocarniani

Post by francescocarniani »

very wonderful campaign!!! i like it!
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: July 1st, 2018, 9:11 am
forumnecromancer.png
So, uhm, hello. Long time no see. I'm suspecting that some of you might have been wondered about my disappearance; the truth is that, after January, I became so overworked that I was unable to even look at a forum post (much less IRC or Discord) or a single line of code. Now I'm back for the summer, but starting from November I'll have to go on a Wesbreak again. I'll try to not disappear again like I had to, but unfortunately I cannot make any promises. That's life, I guess... :augh:
With that said, I can finally announce that the 3.4.0 version of The Sojournings of Grog has been uploaded to the 1.14 add-ons server. Many changes were made in order to port the campaign to the new stable series, but there are a few that affect gameplay. First of all, I imported the new Quenoth Elves from UtBS, and then I made Ormron a Blue Mage; this last change explains why he was captured by the Undead so easily, as well as explaining how the Humans were able to keep themselves safe from the Drakes. For now, the Blue Mage has the same stats of the Red Mage line (plus a Freezing ability), but this might be fixed if it proves too powerful against the Drakes.
Sometimes my motivation to stick with Wesnoth runs out so quickly! But I noticed this post and looked back at this thread a bit last night - I can not believe we were working on this 8 and a half years ago! I know you messaged me back in July (it feels like only a couple of months ago I sent the PM to you...) and I rudely ignored it! I fear I have missed your period of Wesnoth activity as it is now well after November, however...

I'm downloading the latest Wesnoth right now and will download the latest version of TSoG. I'm going to play it on normal as I don't think there's been much definitive feedback on that level of difficulty. Would you (even at some point in the future) be up for some feedback on the general campaign, the normal difficulty and possibly some changes to dialogue? I'm sure that 9 years later I will hate everything I wrote the first time round.

I think we're also missing descriptions for some units also.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1st scenario
the entire region feel into anarchy -> fell
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Just to say, I have played most of the campaign and have a list of corrections and general thoughts. I'm not likely to go back to it any time soon so I'll leave this here for when you come back!
Attachments
2019 dialogue.odt
(31.44 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
notes.odt
(25.9 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

To be honest, I don't quite understand why the first scenario is a scenario where I can move around. There seem to be no special interactions I can trigger nor can I collect gold for the next scenario.

Those Sand Strewn Beaches
The scenario objectives are not updated once you complete the bonus objective.
Or when you land Grog.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Konrad2 wrote: April 20th, 2019, 4:38 pm the entire region feel into anarchy -> fell
Noted ;)
Daravel wrote: April 26th, 2019, 10:07 pm Just to say, I have played most of the campaign and have a list of corrections and general thoughts. I'm not likely to go back to it any time soon so I'll leave this here for when you come back!
I downloaded your files a while ago. Sooner or later I'll work on them, but I'm still undecided whether I should add your updates on the 1.14 series or work directly on the 1.15 series. :)
Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2019, 11:48 am To be honest, I don't quite understand why the first scenario is a scenario where I can move around. There seem to be no special interactions I can trigger nor can I collect gold for the next scenario.
Were you playing on Hard? If yes, that's why: on Easy and Normal difficulties, you can
Spoiler:
Do you want me to enable the same feature on Hard?
Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2019, 11:48 am The scenario objectives are not updated once you complete the bonus objective.
Or when you land Grog.
The objective is "Grog must reach the signpost", so there's no need to update it when our units land.
However, I can certainly make the bonus objective disappear once it's completed.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: December 28th, 2019, 3:03 pm Were you playing on Hard? If yes, that's why: on Easy and Normal difficulties, you can
Spoiler:
Do you want me to enable the same feature on Hard?
Yes, I'm playing on hard.
I don't want you to enable said feature on hard, but how about shifting the distribution of the holy water to the next scenario? Give it to Grog in flask form in the Prologue and decide which unit gets to use it after landing in 'Those Sand Strewn Beaches'.
Elvish_Hunter wrote: December 28th, 2019, 3:03 pm The objective is "Grog must reach the signpost", so there's no need to update it when our units land.
However, I can certainly make the bonus objective disappear once it's completed.
There is a lose condition about losing the ship before the units land, which could be removed when our units land.
That would be neat.

EDIT:
The Homecoming
What tree do the dwarves refer to at the beginning? I remember that this part of the map looked different before, so maybe there was tree back then, but there is none now.

Find Grog's home. -> home (That's just a style thing.)

EDIT 2:
The cage where you find the white troll in, shows the sprite of a white troll whelp, but you actually free a white troll shaman sprite.

all the Dwarves and Bats. -> Bats (Again, style thing.)

EDIT 3:
A Doubtful Alliance
to defend against counter attack -> a counter attack/counter attacks

First Contact
I actually don't like the design of Elyssas attack. A fire based attack that deals damage as a percentage of maxhitpoints while ignoring resistances and hitting everyone at once except my units? It feels weird. How about a fire based attack that takes resistances into account, centered around the Ancient Lich, dealing a fixed amount of damage, instead of a percentage?

It would be good if there was some note about units getting captured instead of dying. And if freed units appeared where the captor died.

EDIT 4:
Siege Perilous
To be honest, I really don't like that this map isn't consistent with the map for 'The Homecoming'. I can't help but dislike it and I feel that it breaks immersion and continuity.
It would be cool if the scenario objectives either named a specific turn or a countdown for the opening of the tunnel.

EDIT 5:
The Deep Levels
Even though I can't see them (at all) my units talk about spotting bats. The map even scrolled to a part of the map that's shrouded.

EDIT 6:
For some reason only the Fire Guardian is elemental. All the other Elemental looking monsters lack this trait and are poisonable.

EDIT 7:
So, the Blue Mage with neutral alignment has the trait 'fearless'. Is that a practical joke?

EDIT 8:
Nemesis
Eye of Krawg (the amulet in 'Nemesis')
fro poison -> from

For the prison cell, since the prison gates are only placed if there are prisoners, it looks like there are random unpassable hexes if there are no prisoners (28,13 and 29,14). How about placing the gates anyway and adding some explanation/guess from Elyssa about the prison if it is empty?

Mal-Apophis is helpless beyond his first wave of recruits, since all those guards put his income into the negative. Is that intended?

The above still holds true except that Mal-Apophis never recruits. Actually, the sides 6, 7, 8, 9 don't recruit before I get close to Mal-Apophis.

EDIT 9:
Blue Mage
When a Blue Mage attacks from the northern hex, his spell hits the enemy from the southwest hex. Is that intended?

EDIT 10:
End of a Chapter
Out efforts -> Our

EDIT 11:
The North Gate
The scenario objectives claim an 'early finish bonus' even though there is no turn limit.

Waves and Waves
Stay off our land -> land.

EDIT 12:
The Back Door
My allies automatically 'spot' me when they recruit a unit.
The 'move x here' labels are in my teamcolor.
Attachments
TSoG-Nemesis-Auto-Save19.gz
(154.25 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Just to make sure that you take a look at the EDITs above. :D

The Back Door
The scenario objectives do not update when you fulfill one of the win conditions (like moving Grog or Jaash to their respective sign post).
And the label for the sign post does not disappear even if the necessary unit already went there (and left the scenario).
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Konrad2 wrote: August 12th, 2020, 11:36 am Just to make sure that you take a look at the EDITs above. :D
Yes, I've noticed all your reports (thanks for them, by the way) ;) The real problem here is that, with the issues you found, some other issues I found and testing every modification, this is taking longer than I expected...