The Sojournings of Grog (3.6.1 is out)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.4.0 is out)

Post by Konrad2 »

Fisherman (unit)
He has the special notes for poison, but he doesn't have any attack that can inflict poison.

Dragonbane
I believe that the enemy leaders (with the Dragonlord being an exception) are too easily baited. They usually die before the spend all their money. And they tend to prefer village taking over recruiting.

Please update the Quenoth recruits for the next release, they all cost less than 20 gold right now, even the lvl 3 units. (This was somewhat recently adressed in mainline.)

(FTR, I've finished the campaign now.)
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Hey, Elvish_Hunter. I think your maintained campaign is pretty cool and very ancient (over 10 years), because yesterday I already started to play your campaign. I thank you and Eros (who as Campaign Design/Original Developer) for your hard work so far. :D
Spoiler:
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Major_Swampy wrote: September 5th, 2020, 11:24 pm I thank you and Eros (who as Campaign Design/Original Developer) for your hard work so far. :D
Thank you (and your brother) for playing this campaign! I'm glad that you like it.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.5.0 is out)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

It's time.
Version 3.5.0 of The Sojournings of Grog has been released on the 1.14 add-ons server.
This release features a long series of bug fixes and changes, mainly thanks to Konrad2's playthrough (BTW, he also has a Twitch channel where he streams Wesnoth content. If you want to have a look, it's here: https://www.twitch.tv/ueberleben). I won't bother you with the details, because there's a changelog for this ;)
A fair bit of warning: except for bugfix/point releases, this will likely be the last version on the 1.14 series. Soon I'll start porting the campaign to the 1.15/1.16 series, so that's the reason for this choice.
As always, don't forget to report any issue you might find, or even propose new features if you wish to do so. It isn't easy keeping a campaign fresh for so much time, so your feedback is welcome.
The Sojournings of Grog: not the campaign you need, but the one you deserve :P

PS. Speaking of feedback... How do you think I can make Ogres more interesting for this campaign? I mean, they've got about the same HPs and attack power as Trolls, don't have regeneration, cannot gain ranged attacks, are really useful only against units weak to blade attacks but resistant to impact (like Woses) and cost more to recruit. Any ideas?
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Rendy55

Post by Rendy55 »

Great campaign i fnished on hard
But 35 turns for scenarios back to trolls home and with destroing lich seems little, i have both them finished around 30 turn.

Trollss boulderlobbers and warbaners are awesome
It is poty that they are not mainline troops becouse normal rocklobbers are useless for they lack 3rd level compare to troll warriors.

My suggestion is make possible evolve whelps to shamans and eneble blue mages for humans
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Rendy55 wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:11 pm Great campaign i fnished on hard
Thanks! :)
Rendy55 wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:11 pm But 35 turns for scenarios back to trolls home and with destroing lich seems little, i have both them finished around 30 turn.
That can be fixed. Leaving 45 turns for Easy, I can increase the limit to 42 for Normal and 40 for Hard. Sounds good?
Rendy55 wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:11 pm Trollss boulderlobbers and warbaners are awesome
It is poty that they are not mainline troops becouse normal rocklobbers are useless for they lack 3rd level compare to troll warriors.
We'll see. Perhaps it might be possible to mainline the Rocklobber -> Boulderlobber advancement... Who knows?
Rendy55

Post by Rendy55 »

But 35 turns for scenarios back to trolls home and with destroing lich seems little, i have both them finished around 30 turn.
[/quote]
That can be fixed. Leaving 45 turns for Easy, I can increase the limit to 42 for Normal and 40 for Hard. Sounds good?

Yes it will be enought
Rendy55 wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:11 pm Trollss boulderlobbers and warbaners are awesome
We'll see. Perhaps it might be possible to mainline the Rocklobber -> Boulderlobber advancement... Who knows?
[/quote]

It would be awesome have boulderlobber as mainline.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.6.0 is out)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Honestly, I thought it would've taken me less time than it actually did; however, hot weather, real life issues and a bug with the add-ons client kept getting in the way...
Anyway, here it is: The Sojournings of Grog 3.6.0 is now on the 1.16 add-ons server!
This release features a lot of compatibility changes, mainly to Lua and hero/loyalty overlays, as well as the usual bunch of bug fixes. As always, the changelog lists all the changes I made for this release.
Don't forget to report any bug you find, or to suggest anything you'd like me to implement in the campaign! ;)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Screenshot 2021-12-17 at 11.04.31 PM.png
Hello, your campaign is bugged in The North Gate
TSoG-The North Gate-Auto-Save15.gz
(107.08 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
TSoG-The North Gate.gz
(30.27 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Hmmm. I haven't played this campaign yet on BfW 1.16, but this bug certainly didn't happen in BfW 1.14.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Sadaharu wrote: December 18th, 2021, 12:23 am Hmmm. I haven't played this campaign yet on BfW 1.16, but this bug certainly didn't happen in BfW 1.14.
Probably caused i let the ogre boss die :v

He was a loyal, not hero.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 17th, 2021, 5:07 pm Hello, your campaign is bugged in The North Gate
Thank you for the report! Indeed, I kept I-gruk alive in my playtest, so I didn't get that error. And Sadaharu is right, this was never reported on the 1.14 series, so it must be Wesnoth that doesn't just silently ignore empty variables any more.
Of course, I'll check and fix it.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

And Sadaharu is right, this was never reported on the 1.14 series, so it must be Wesnoth that doesn't just silently ignore empty variables any more.
No, 1.14 did exhibit the same thing. I triggered this bug in TRoJ. In his case, I assume, he didn't carelessly let the Ogre boss die as I did. Since the code works fine if this unit is alive, the error should probably never be encountered. Maybe having an [if][have_unit][/if] check for the ogre and gryphon bosses should be a patch. (Note, I have lost both of them...lost the gryphon boss before even recruiting him as the orcs were too fast).
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

So my pathological tendency to avoid losing any characters just in case they come in handy later has resulted in untriggered bugs. Hmmmm. Food for thought.

I've checked my replays for BfW 1.12 and, a pang of nostalgia for the old-style desert elf units aside, I found nothing to report regarding I-gruk or the gryphons.

While I-gruk's ogre contingent is not of much use, the gryphons actually suddenly come in very handy in the finale, where you can get rid of one enemy boss by Turn 2 if you've kept enough gryphons alive.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

While I-gruk's ogre contingent is not of much use, the gryphons actually suddenly come in very handy in the finale, where you can get rid of one enemy boss by Turn 2 if you've kept enough gryphons alive.
Tell that to that Goblin Pillager who slowed the gryphon leader and the 2 orc warriors who finished him off. Couldn't have even rushed a rescue. :v