Campaign: Bitter Revenge (1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wonderboy

Re: Campaign: Bitter Revenge (1.7/1.8)

Post by Wonderboy »

macherb wrote:1.6.5
Apparently, I never uploaded the fixed version to 1.6 add-on server (only to 1.7). It's there now. Download the new version.

It seems that Mac OS doesn't care if the letters are capitalized or not. Linux seems to be strict about this. Dunno about Windows.
Campaigns that I have created (now updated to 1.14):
Bitter Revenge, The Dark Alliance, Battle Against Time, Talentless Mage
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

Quite necroposting, hope people won't mind. I just wanted to say I really liked this campaign, the quite numberous plot twists (when compared to most campaigns that have set "evil guys" from beginning to end), but... wtf with the last scenario? The loyalist army is made of a lot of mages that rip any unit apart, and you can't outrun dragoons. But worst part is that the 2 "lieutenants" of Vazerah keep recruiting so you can only advance by a few hexes each turn... then loyalists arrive and rape everything. Not to mention that I couldn't heal Enia, having lost my Nymph in scenario 9 I think. And my Spectre in the 10, which is a really useful unit to stop loyalists as long as there aren't mages.

But well, I like campaigns like that where Undead aren't only considered as walking exp and it's not all black and white. Particularly liked the character of Enia. You should also ask someone's help (not me :p ) for better portraits, imo. Currently it kinda looks like it has been made with MS Paint. :)
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

Wendek wrote:but... wtf with the last scenario? The loyalist army is made of a lot of mages that rip any unit apart, and you can't outrun dragoons. But worst part is that the 2 "lieutenants" of Vazerah keep recruiting so you can only advance by a few hexes each turn... then loyalists arrive and rape everything. Not to mention that I couldn't heal Enia, having lost my Nymph in scenario 9 I think. And my Spectre in the 10, which is a really useful unit to stop loyalists as long as there aren't mages.
I've never had problem with the last last scenario. Just recall veterans and rush to north. Ghouls might be useful to slow down the enemy. Maybe you don't have enough veterans? Could you post your savefile of the scenario?
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

I was missing veterans yes, since I didn't want to saveload as much as I usually do. (I'm not that good of a player and I'm also terribly unlucky, missing 3/3 magical attacks at the worst moment is common for me :) ) Oh, and I didn't have any ghoul at all, I usually don't get a lot of them in campaigns, might be a mistake especially since they're arcane resistant. I think my main problem here is that I lost my Spectre (how I love those units) in the previous scenario, used him to heavily slow down the loyalists. Worked wonderfully, but it couldn't survive until the end. And my Nymph against the Drakes at the scenario before.
Still even with those two I think I would have had a lot of trouble to reach the north because Vazerah's lieutenants have quite a lot of gold so you advance by one hex each turn while loyalist cavalry advances by 8-9...

I uploaded my automatic savefile in case you want to check, but really it's probably just me failin'. :p
Attachments
11_Showdown-Sauvegarde_automatique1.gz
(27.24 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

Ghouls are perfect fodder. They have poison and good resistances.

Honestly, I don't think that it's possible to defeat the last scenario with only three lvl3 units (I tried). I've usually had 8-10 lvl3 in that scenario. One of the most annoying aspects of wesnoth campaigns is that later scenarios become impossible if you don't have enough veterans.
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

Okay, well indeed that's a problem because I don't really feel like going back 2-3 scenarios just to beat the last one. I guess I was using Enia too much as well, which might have caused an experience loss. Thing is, while playing a campaign for the first time, you really can't know if you're having enough veterans or not... so sometimes you keep playing like I did there and you get pwnd for the last battle. :(

Well, I'll be more cautious when I play other campaigns. :D Thanks for your time.
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

Major update 1.1.0

The new version has updated story and dialogue thanks to hermes23. There is also new dialogue scenario between scenarios 3 and 4. The story is much better than before.

I have uploaded it to the 1.8 server. I hope you enjoy it.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Campaign: Bitter Revenge (1.8)

Post by artisticdude »

:D Yay! Love this campaign. I might even manage to find time to do some sprites for it, if any are needed/wanted.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

Hi,

I'm glad you liked it. It would be great if the robed figure of Vazerah (4th scenario) had custom sprite.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

I started playing this campaign earlier today.

Prologue:
Thoughts:
Nice start of the story. Not much else to say.

Scenario 1 (Rescue):
Spoiler:
Scenario 2 (Elvish Prince):
Spoiler:
Attachments
02_Elvish_Prince_повторение.gz
(30.53 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
knight1707

Post by knight1707 »

Hi...its a great story you have made.
I do agree tho, senario 9 is impossible, I had about 5 level 3 units left and only way to beat it is to lose them all
the dwarf one before took about 4 of my best troops to beat.
Unless you save load a lot this is pretty hard to beat so I had to give up on level 9
nice work tho....
just a bit too hard

David
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

I disagree that scenario 9 is impossible. I have played it several times. Granted, it really sucks if you get unlucky. Fortunately, the scenario is short and it can be restarted.

Does anyone think scenario 9 is fine?
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Back when I played this campaign none of the scenarios seemed impossible, though a few took some luck and good planning.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
knight1707

Post by knight1707 »

I still say its very hard a bd needs a lot of save reloading, but thats usual, I played again on easy and did it :)

great storyline, its not often I really want to get to the end to see what happens, I though the lady necro would turn on him...I was wrong....one idea...after you beat the bad guy you could have them try and fight off the loyist army...of course they would lose....then go the end bit :)

thank you, good senario
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

knight1707 wrote:I still say its very hard a bd needs a lot of save reloading, but thats usual, I played again on easy and did it :)
I'm glad you managed to play it.
one idea...after you beat the bad guy you could have them try and fight off the loyist army...of course they would lose....then go the end bit :)
I have considered that. I think the last scenario is more enjoyable if you don't have to fight the loyalists.