The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: The Earth's Gut (BfW 1.9, formerly "Dwarven Kingdom")

Post by Anonymissimus »

Helaron wrote:There is a problem with the scenario "Lost". When i find Krolock i get the following message after the dialogue appeared:

<invalid WML found> [teg_modify_unit] not supported

When i've killed the Undead, Krolock is still shown in his cage, his Troll friends show up, i get the dialogue telling me they're my friends now and then they attack and kill Dulatus and Pelcatlus. Which makes it impossible to finish this scenario. I'm using BfW 1.9.9 (OS is Windows 7) and downloaded the campaign three days ago from the add-on server.
Yes, thanks.
I suppose the reason is a certain bug in wesnoth which will be fixed in 1.9.10. Options to try:
-Use 1.9.8 (unless it requires 1.9.9, yes, looks like it)
-Don't reload mid-scenario saves, that is, use only start-of-scenario saves to "pause" the campaign. At best restart BfW before loading a save.
-You could also try these command line commands after loading a mid-scenario save (untested):
:debug
:fire preload
:nodebug

There was a problem with the preload event not being executed when loading saves, so my definitions for custom lua tags aren't recognized.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Helaron

Post by Helaron »

Anonymissimus wrote:-Don't reload mid-scenario saves, that is, use only start-of-scenario saves to "pause" the campaign. At best restart BfW before loading a save.
Thanks for the quick help. Reloading from the start of the scenario after restarting BfW worked liked a charm and i was able to finish it.
Chep

Post by Chep »

I don't know if this campaign is still maintained (sure hope so, since it's one of my favourites), but I have encountered some kind of problem in "Lost".

When I rescue the troll, I am swarmed by lots of Lvl2 ghosts and bats before I can even reach the keep to recruit some trolls.
I play on hard but still, this seems impossible to survive (especially since the bats kill my ulfserker almost instantly).

I assume there's some bug that releases these opponents too early or something..?

Chep
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Thanks. Sure I maintain it. One can tell by the upload dates to the addon server for instance. Adding new scenarios is another matter however. But the campaign fulfills its purpose nowadays as a testcase for mainline development. ^_^
Chep wrote: When I rescue the troll, I am swarmed by lots of Lvl2 ghosts and bats before I can even reach the keep to recruit some trolls.
I play on hard but still, this seems impossible to survive (especially since the bats kill my ulfserker almost instantly).
Maybe. Can you attach saves from when this happens ? Ideally a start-of-scenario save, and the save from the turn before you kill the last enemy torturing the troll.
I probably ever play only on NORMAL since playtesting is by far the most time consuming part. And I prefer coding wesnoth over playing wesnoth. ^_^
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
Chep

Post by Chep »

I attached 3 savegames, the opening one and one just before releasing the troll and the final one, where I can't reach the keep. I already tried staying back and fighting them 1 at a time, but they just get more and more...

playing: Wesnoth 1.10.0

edit: Thanks a lot for the quick help :)

I just read here that there actually is one more unit type that I can't recruit on hard but can on normal/easy... I think it would be nice to be able to recruit 1 or 2 of them.

And is it a big problem if I level clarissa to be a great mage instead of a white one? (i have the elf and my 1 dwarvish healer, so far it hasn't been an issue...)
Attachments
TEG-Lost_19.gz
Turn 19, unable to reach the keep
(64.38 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
TE.gz
Turn 16, just before the troll is released
(54.91 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
TEG-Lost.gz
(17.02 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

That scenario has been shown to be difficult to balance. Depending on chance and the wesnoth version used, the enemies sometimes concentrate aggressively on the player, and sometimes rather attack your allied side since I coded it first in 1.5.x or so.
I gave your units their moves back after the talk with the trolls so you should have one more turn to reach the castle so you can recruit one castle before they swarm you. But it's intended to be tough to get outta there however. Please update.
projects (BfW 1.12):
Chep

Re: The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.10/1.11

Post by Chep »

thanks, my units get the move points.

however I get a wml error:
invalid wml found: [teg_modify_unit] not supported

and the green troll stays green and the blue trolls are actually enemies.

I imagine this could be fixed by some debugging on my side, however I have no knowledge of the wml and I think this problem will appear for other people as well ;)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Did you restart by loading the start-of-scenario save ? A turn save won't work. I imagine that's the cause of the unknown tag error whose definition I removed since the last update. You should also restart wesnoth before loading that save.
projects (BfW 1.12):
Chep

Post by Chep »

yeah, I reloaded the old turn 16-savegame.

I restarted now and free the troll again on turn 16 (is it possible to be faster? would this help with my undead problem?)

then his friends appear, we talk and turn 17 starts. I manage to reach the keep, but unfortunately a bat occupies it. in the 1 turn needed to kill it 4 more lvl 2 ghosts can reach me and once again block the recruiting field.

I think I just have to give up and restart the campaign on normal :(
however I just don't see anything I could have done any better.
Attachments
TEG-Lost-Autospeichern16.gz
autosave, turn 16 just before the troll is freed
(55.96 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Anonymissimus wrote:... Sure I maintain it. One can tell by the upload dates to the addon server for instance.
glad you do!

my question is more an aside: as a player i don't know anything about any add-on server. could the upload dates of add-ons be displayed in the add-ons dialogue? it would be nice to know which are new and which are stale, without having to manually keep track of the displayed version numbers. i will add to Gna as a feature request if you think its feasible
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

I set up the ai to avoid the castle so that case can no longer happen and made some further balancing adjustments.
The dates are visible in the addons web interface: http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/1.9/
projects (BfW 1.12):
Chep

Post by Chep »

thank you!
I was now able to recruit and fight my way towards the bridges in the north & south.
however by turn 30 the "uncle" died, since his trolls got swarmed by the lvl2 ghosts.
The level seems really annoying. There is some "insta-win" debug command, right? in that case I might cheat and load the final round before he dies and move on to the next scenario, since I really hate this one by now.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Yes, type
:debug
:n
:nodebug

Note that debug mode may do things harmful for a player (but useful for debugging).

I modified the scenario so that the troll leader is allowed to die. However, you loose the gold bonus in case this happens. The idea is to force the player to put enough pressure onto the enemies so that he survives.
projects (BfW 1.12):
Chep

Post by Chep »

Yeah, I get that I have to put presure on the enemy, but the combination of lvl 2 bats & ghosts means that I just can't see a way to win before he dies. My cool ulfserker has to stay behind, because a single lvl2 bat will kill him, but since I can't see them coming as bats&ghosts have more move, I have to use the trolls which suck against these 2 types of opponents. If only there were more skeletons^^
Anyway, I'll just skip this level now, since it's only frustrating. Thanks a lot for your help though.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

if you post the replay of your defeat and the savegame from beginning of scenario, someone may be able to point out speciific tips for you.