The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chep

Re: The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.10/1.11

Post by Chep »

@troll: thanks for the offer, but I already moved on in the campaign and no longer have any meaningful saves of that hellish level (you can start atat the beginning using the "Lost" save I uploaded earlier, Dulatus is Lvl3 and has the ring). But I went thorugh the whole level save/loading every single battle and recruited as many troll shamans as I could (with 2-3 few troll whelps)
Since you don't start with veterans or gold it's not like I made any meaningful errors in the scenarios before. I maintain my claim that the level is impossible.

I have made it to "Return", where I get the WML warning: "could not recall unit: id: Narcatsol" when opening the map.
On turn 6 on my elvish ally's turn I get "no suitable hex found in [nearest_hex] (I killed the ghost leader this turn, maybe this is important?)

I have to say, that the levels after "Lost" where again quite fun (thanks a lot for this great campaign)

You might want to increase the Orc's gold in the "Protecting Konrad"-Level, since they got overrun by the elves before my first unit could reach them (Elara came just in time to kill the orc leader).

The water-battle wasn't much fun for me, even though it's a great idea and something rather special. Still, having lots of insta-sinks on both sides makes this one really tough to predict.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Chep wrote:I have made it to "Return", where I get the WML warning: "could not recall unit: id: Narcatsol" when opening the map.
You are supposed to have a gryphon rider with that id/name who you should have gotten in scenario 4 and who is unstored from a variable at that point. Maybe he died at some spot ?
EDIT
Screw that, you don't get him on hard. I'll remove wrong references.
Chep wrote:On turn 6 on my elvish ally's turn I get "no suitable hex found in [nearest_hex]
It most likely was because the code which forces your allied elf to retreat and heal wounded units couldn't find a village to do so (2,14 or 9,17), presumably because both were already occupied by other wounded units or they were on the way to them.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Chep

Post by Chep »

Thank you for the info. Finished the campaign (Wesnoth soldiers). Have to say I really love it, except for the aforementioned nitpick and Lost which still kinda annoys me.

I like the option to end the scenario whenever I want, so as to still level a few units in the last two scenarios. Also the AMLAs are quite nice, though hardly important since I already had mages to level by the time I reached these XP-level (and I love these guys^^)

Can't wait for the next (final?) scenario
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Got to the level "Prison". Very good campaign so far, but on current level can't reach Dulatus in time to save him (in fact, I wasn't even close, at turn 54). Any advice?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Hm, play again with knowing how the scenario works and being faster ?

Other than that,

:debug
:turn <some number>
:nodebug

probably works. Can't do much atm as I'm recovering from hardware problems.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

I've enjoyed the campaign thus far. It's a true dwarf campaign that's for sure. Although, because i'm not that good of a player, I have to raise the time limit for me on one scenario..

P.S
Any tips for Scenario Prison?
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
rmj

Post by rmj »

Version 1.10.0 Normal difficulty

I have just finished sc. 8--Lost. So far every scenario has been enjoyable. This promises to be a great campaign.
Following are mostly suggested changes to the dialog, but some apparent inconsistencies are also indicated:

Scenario 1t--prologue
"While the dwarves were accustomed to life in mountains and caves, nearly all of the humans had been captured and enslaved."
change to "...had been killed or enslaved."

"They fought battle after bloody battle with the greedy orcs, and eventually escaped into the deeper caverns where few dared to follow."
change to "but eventually had to flee into the deepest caverns where few orcs dared to venture."

"Finally the orcs did come, in greater numbers than anyone expected."
change to "... in numbers greater than anyone had anticipated."

"It was during this time of conflict that Lord Relgorn of Knalga gathered a council of his most trusted warriors in the deepest caverns, and discussed the situation..."
change to simply "Lord Relgorn gathered a council to discuss the situation...."

Scenario 2--west gate

"Look! It seems that foul Boomtshak has only rather weak creatures among his companions.
How does Dulatus know Boomtshak's name?

"Do you think we can defeat him within one day?"
The scenario on normal is 24 turns; that is four days I believe."

"Now let us travel along the mountains towards the west."
In Northern Rebirth there are excellent mines a few miles from Knalga. You need some explanation why these aren't an option.

Scenario 3--breakout

"The small group hurried out of the caves, into blinding sunlight..."
change "...into the sunlight, which most of these dwarves had not experienced for decades."

"You foolsss! Don't you know this is a Wesssnoth campaign? What did you exsspect, a bunny?"
change to ""Foolsss! Didss yous exsspect a bunny?"
I dislike the reference to Wesnoth campaign; it destroys the "reality" of playing. I take it the bunny refers to MP.

"What the...? Since when do the monsters heal themselves...?"
change to "What the...? Since when do monsters heal themselves...?"

"It must have some kind of magical possession which heals it. We should try to take it."
change to "It must have some kind of magical object which heals it. Let's take it."

"Sss, how typical! Alwaysss using the ssslow attack! And they wonder why we monsters hate our jobsss..."
I don't like this; the humor is forced, and "jobs" is too inappropriate.

"What do you do here in the mountains, far north of the Wesnothian Kingdom?"
change to "Why are you here in the mountains, so far from Wesnoth?"

"A few months ago, I had graduated from the Academy of Alduin. I chose to journey to these mountains to study dwarven folk like you, and I was captured by those orcs...."
change to "A few months ago, I graduated from .... I chose to come here to study dwarven folk like you, but I was captured by thEse orcs. I see you have defeated them. (smiles)"
"I see you have defeated them. (smiles)"
When Clarissa appears there is still one orc chieftain; change to something like "I see you are beating them"

"Until recently, I would never have imagined I would travel so far from home as even this."
change to "I never imagined I would travel this far from home."
add? Hamel: And who knows how much farther we have to go.

Scenario 4--up the mountain

"There must be a cave ..." Aiglathing: "Yes, I've seen it."
This seems to somewhat contradict what Aiglathing said at the end of the previous scenario. Perhaps a role character should say it.

Scenario 5b--unknown tunnels

Scenario6--great gates

"Behind you all the way, Hamel!"
change to "We're wholly behind you, Hamel!"

"Elves or no elves, I wonder why we have heard nothing from the dwarves who had built those caves?"
change to "...who built thEse caves?

"...and I look forward to trading good with you in the future."
change good to goods

Scenario 7

Scenario 8--Lost

"By the way...I wonder where these undead have come from and why the trolls have been fighting against them."
remove "by the way" since Dulatus is talking to himself

"Now I'll explore where that cave tunnel is leading to."
change to "Now let's see where this tunnel goes."

"It is possible to survive. The fishes from that lake ..."
change fishes to fish

"Maybe the earthquake that has blocked it now also opened a way some time before."
change to "Maybe there's another way out"

"What is this ? You dwarves are never satisfied, aren't you!?
change to "What is this ? You dwarves are never satisfied, are you!?"

"This patrol searches for remaining undead now. Here you have some gold...."
change to "We will search now for other undead. Here is some gold for you. ..."

The message when first recruiting is too complex, and probably gives more information than is necessary.
rmj
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

rmj wrote: Scenario 2--west gate

"Do you think we can defeat him within one day?"
The scenario on normal is 24 turns; that is four days I believe."
Quite correct, in most scenarios. The day/night cycle is changed in this scenario though.
rmj

Post by rmj »

In scenario 16--Ferry Crossing, I can't get units on any ships. When I right click, there is no option to load a passenger.
rmj
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Works for me...
Right-click a (transport!) ship to select "accept passenger", then move a land unit next to it.
projects (BfW 1.12):
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I remember when I played this scenario first time, how much time I spend till I found out how to get a unit on a ship.
(Earth Gut was then called still Dwarven Kingdom)
Seems I'm not the only one who has trouble with it. :P
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I play your campaign one more time. :)
It is just a trifle, but in 'Forest Fire', Delfaldor is standing in the water at the start (hex 15,12).
I suggest to change the recall to:

Code: Select all

[recall]
			id=Kalenz
			x,y=15,11
		[/recall]
		[recall]
			id=Delfador
			x,y=16,10
		[/recall]
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
taptap

Post by taptap »

Scenario 7: If you have 3 mini-scenarios unified in one then getting increases in the turn limit would help. There is no way to estimate what has to be done in the 33 turns when you are still on the first minimap.

Scenario 8: Well, this is a hard one. (Fighting ghosts and bats with trolls.) Dulatos AMLA doesn't work as announced, the first options is no hp increase but heal etc. but in fact it is a +3HP AMLA without increasing XP requirements making the second option obsolete.

P.S. I didn't finish Lost in the turn limit. Even when it was going well I was about 2 turns short. I had to give me a little more time in the debug mode.
Last edited by taptap on August 19th, 2012, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Scenario 7 is bad design anyway. I guess I wanted to see whether 3 can be packed into 1 and it's been on the todo list to split it up since long...
Dulatos AMLA doesn't work as announced, the first options is no hp increase but heal etc. but in fact it is a +3HP AMLA without increasing XP requirements making the second option obsolete.
Can you describe this a bit more precisely and/or provide a savegame ?
projects (BfW 1.12):
taptap

Post by taptap »

The mechanics in Save the Heir are problematic. I overstretched a little towards the end, but the triggered event is well overkill... but if I then barely escape why can't I leave units behind (removing them from my recall list assuming them dead or captured). The forced unit sequence for the escape can make you lose the scenario because a unit of you is still alive, but will die next turn, but Hamel insists of watching it die.

Later: I arrived at the provisional end. Thank you for the campaign. Do you continue the development?

I recognized something strange in the final. The AI attacks my berserker with crossbowmen in melee. I guess that is due to the higher CTK (even 0.x% is higher than 0.0%) in melee.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.