Humor Campaign: Talentless Mage (1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: Humor Campaign: Talentless Mage (1.7/1.8)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

bayesian wrote:This CAN work in game, with a simple one line addition.
There is also a similar ability in Era of Magic, here there is the code:
Spoiler:
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Wonderboy

Re: Humor Campaign: Talentless Mage (1.7/1.8)

Post by Wonderboy »

Major update 1.1.0

The new version has updated dialogue thanks to hermes23. I have uploaded it to the 1.8 server. I hope you enjoy it.
Campaigns that I have created (now updated to 1.14):
Bitter Revenge, The Dark Alliance, Battle Against Time, Talentless Mage
maclag

Re: Humor Campaign: Talentless Mage (1.8)

Post by maclag »

Hi all,

Great campaign, but incredibly tough IMHO!!
I'm on easy and already use load/reload tricks to make it! (Most of time I play on normal).
And now I'm stuck in the faerie scenario.
I just recruit during turn1 and then start to flee with the main characters and some vets (2 lvl3 + 1lvl2). The rest of it are noobs made to slow down the fairies (I'm not even sure they slow down anything considering the swarm of lvl3 units with magic attacks behind...).
Record so far: survive 'till turn 6. I turn 5 my small army get in fight with the faerie in the north, and start to be caught by the pursuers.
Turn6 is a massacre.

Anyone has a tip for this one??
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

Unfortunately, I don't have replay. The strategy is to lure the faeries in north out of the forest and then kill them. You should win by turn 6. If you post your savefile, I can try to beat the scenario.
JedStream

Post by JedStream »

Thanks for a great campaign. Loved the humor - would be nice to see more of it in Wesnoth. Cheers
lynx

Post by lynx »

Yes, some very nice text is in there.
Spoiler:
Sophisani

Post by Sophisani »

Playing through. so far so fun. I dealt with keeping track of noob progression by appending " Lv#" to the end of their names and incrementing the number as they advanced, starting with 2 for their first advancement. Made it easy to keep track of them on the recall list, though I did find myself sometimes wishing for a way to separate the first level noobs from the ones I was actually training.

I started this post to report a bug, but thought I would weigh in on other elements. In Waves of Orcs, I happened to have Nart standing on the western mountain peak when I used another unit to finish off the last enemy. The scenario ended and the Orc leader appeared atop the mountain to make his "speech," and Nart disappeared like a fat lady's chihuahua. More problematic, he did not reappear at the start of the next scenario. I've since replayed that turn so Nart does not end the scenario underneath an armorer orc, so alas I will not be finding out the long-term consequences of a plot character's untimely removal.
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

I appreciate you reported the bug. I fixed it and uploaded new version (1.1.1) to the add-on server.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I played through Talentless Mage.

I stuck around in the rescue the prisoners scenario until I had killed all the enemy leaders, gathering experience. Two royal guards and two mater bowmen were sure nice to have on the map the rest of the campaign.

Gave berserk to one of the royal guards. A berserking royal guard is moderately overpowered.

When the ancient lich came, I was indeed equipped to fight him without the aide units, but not that massive army he recruits. Slow + Illuminates + Berserk is not to be underestimated.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

Heh. I gave berserk to Nart. By the end of the game he was dealing out 7-7, backstab, skirmish, berserk. It really became a two-man operation, with everyone else providing cover for Nart. The second man in that two man operation was a swiftly rising sword noob. I put all my points into crossbow damage (just over 100 when the game ended) and as a result, he got wheeled out to fight all the scary monsters. Giving him the bow of marksmanship may have helped.

Summary: certain builds are crazy overpowered.
slyeyes

Post by slyeyes »

I was quite annoyed when in the mission where you have to defend for 10 turns i killed an enemy leader AND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENED! You really could have thought of that.
chrbun

Post by chrbun »

Hi,

I just wanted to say THANKS for this great campaign. On some jokes I really laughed tears :lol2:
In my opinion this campaign really should be in normal campaign list.

Greetings

Christian
rmj

Post by rmj »

The campaign would not load. It was missing a bunch of macros, including {DELAY} and several special
animations (missiles for dryad and fire), and perhaps more.

I am using 1.10.
rmj
akh9010

Re: Humor Campaign: Talentless Mage (1.12)

Post by akh9010 »

Loved the humour! Especially the references to Wesnoth cliches - eg: 'Balin the Found' - LOL.
Kente

Re: Humor Campaign: Talentless Mage (1.12)

Post by Kente »

it was a funny and quick campaign, loved the humor. I think it would be nice put a scenario with an intentionally confused objective (like some UMC campaign)