The Militia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Desert_Shyde

Re: The Militia

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Thanks for the compliments. Peasants are male; to get a peasant wife one must level up a female child. I like recruiting a peasant and three kids and giving them all the same last name. Lazarus's last name is Grant, Nester's last name is Rodriguez, and Pieter's last name is Masters.

Kanapka, I thought an 80% carryover made sense because time passed while they were in the village; they may have spent some of it on fixing up their farms. As to the fourth scenario, Bianca and Nolu go with you, along with some elves for recruiting. The recallable elves stay with Yaeven. I plan to have them back for the second-to-last scenario.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Journey to the North Pole
humanressource

Post by humanressource »

Heheh, had that family thingie in mind too. But quickly burried it after feeding a bunch of kids to the hostiles :roll:

'Defense' was tough. Killing the Chiefs quickly one at a time, while REALLY keeping the gobbos away from getting too many villages AND focussing on some units to level up is the key, i'd say. :hmm:
Lost that Daniel guy while assassinating the eastern leader, which had to leave the keep for finishing off the fencer. Heroic stuff. Nice messed up battle.

Maybe cascading the villages near the enemy keeps in a way, that they can only reach a very few in the first, say 5 turns, could put a little more structure in the course of action.

cheers
HR
For we are many!
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

I don't know what you mean by "cascading." I changed it so that goblins only get one gold per village.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
humanressource

Post by humanressource »

I meant keeping the goblin from taking more than 1 vilalge at a turn, then later two and so on. How do you call that in english? But nevermind.

It's a nice little campaign so far. I'll go try the other branch and meanwhile you do something about that writers block, ok? ;)
Spoiler:
For we are many!
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Giving him less starting money or changing the map to have fewer villages?

Rumors might work...the villagers hear of a threat and decideto go make sure Elton isn't in danger, then end up fighting a group of orcs while the king takes out the main group? Maybe I could change the time period so that it's during a time of orcish hostilities.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Tet

Post by Tet »

Good work and idea.

I missed the walking bones. I made some myself.

I was unhappy with the female elf citizen, because I did not recognize them in-game. I replaced the base frame and added team color.
Attachments
Bones.cfg
(4.35 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
bones-defend-2.png
bones-defend-2.png (1.72 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
bones-defend-1.png
bones-defend-1.png (1.78 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
bones.png
bones.png (1.95 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
elf+female.png
elf+female.png (20.48 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Thanks for the pictures, but I don't know whether I'll use them. Did the walking bones pictures from Wesband not work for you? I like the headband for the female elf, but her neckline looks slutty.

I got past the writer's block. I'll be finishing up the campaign now. Surprise - you didn't really kill Mathias. He played dead and is coming back.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Tet

Post by Tet »

Desert_Shyde wrote:Thanks for the pictures, but I don't know whether I'll use them. Did the walking bones pictures from Wesband not work for you? I like the headband for the female elf, but her neckline looks slutty.
Wesband did not work at all. Why don`t you copy them into your files? The Cfg was not found either, that is why I made my own walking bones. You are welcome to use the head without the neckline there are some more hair pixels and some pixels at the ears too. I did shift the thing between the legs to team colour. So each thing would make it distinct: Head , neck or belt.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Wesband didn't work at all? That's bad; walking bones weren't the only thing I used from it. I'll alert my programming consultant (older brother) and see what needs to be done about it.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

I fixed the walking bones. My younger brothers like moving campaign stuff into the core. Assuming walking bones were part of the core, I didn't move them to The Militia. As to the female elf pictures, we added a magenta headband to them but would like to know how to get it to switch to team color.

Here's the new & improved version. Besides the headband color, all I have left to make is the three end scenario and one of the maps. My older brother did some complex programming for the 14th scenario; hope you enjoy it.
Attachments
The_Militia.zip
(382.45 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

Your map data is

Code: Select all

map_data="{~campaigns/The_Militia/maps/map_name.map}"
That means the zip file needs to be unpacked into wesnoth/data/campaigns folder, instead of add-on folder. Replacing the line with:

Code: Select all

map_data="{~add-ons/The_Militia/maps/map_name.map}"
will solve the problem.

I checked that, and if i unpack the zip into campaign folder, it doesn't show on the campaign list in menu.
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Apparently it's a difference between the old and new Wesnoth versions. I have 1.6.4. Is there a way that will work for both?
The Militia
Merry Christmas
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

No. Get 1.8.3, that's what everyone is using now.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

I fixed the map path bug, and started playing The Milita. There's something wrong whith the custom sprites - neither Peasant Child nor Elvish Civilan have any sprite, they apperar as an empty hex with the team ball. I don't know the unit WML, so I can't fix it.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Desert_Shyde wrote:I have 1.6.4. Is there a way that will work for both?
You could create separate versions for 1.6 and 1.8, but it would be rather pointless considering 1.8 is the new stable release, and the majority of users have switched from 1.6 to 1.8. More people will play your campaign if you code it using the latest syntax, than if you code it for a version that is rapidly becoming obsolete.
Kanapka wrote:I fixed the map path bug, and started playing The Milita. There's something wrong whith the custom sprites - neither Peasant Child nor Elvish Civilan have any sprite, they apperar as an empty hex with the team ball. I don't know the unit WML, so I can't fix it.
It's almost certainly due to the image path. Which, in turn, is probably malfunctioning due to the difference in versions (although I can't recall if there was a syntax change in image paths between 1.6 and 1.8 ).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."