Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

arobinson

Re: Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Post by arobinson »

Due to my involvement in other projects (some open source), I have not had the desire to keep this add-on maintained for a long time. I don't have the desire to abandon it however. As a result, I have decided to move the source code to BitBucket so that others may contribute to the add-on and have it continue to be maintained.

This also will allow for issue tracking in a better format than using this forum.

The Mercurial repository has been uploaded and shared here:
https://bitbucket.org/arobi/wesnoth_rote

Although I don't plan on working on the code at the moment, I will look at pull requests and if things look good, will publish the new versions to the wesnoth server for this add-on/campaign.

Thanks all!
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

marat wrote:Russian translation:
Thank you marat, I uploaded your changes as part of 5.1.1
Campaigns:
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Cool campaign. Hopefully someone will port it to >= 1.14
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Darchaeopteryx

Post by Darchaeopteryx »

I had really enjoyed it, I hope someone can port it too ^
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Rise of the Elementalist campaign 1.14

Post by Konrad2 »

All Parts
Most scenario objectives use an old format for the early finish bonus.
Upon finishing the campaign you are only awarded a silver laurel. https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issu ... -473253384

Part 1 (Rise of the Elementalist)
Spoiler:
Part 2 (Source of the Elementals)
Spoiler:
Part 3 (War of the Elementals)
Spoiler:
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Thank you Konrad2.

I'm doing the update for 1.14.

I fixed all of them except for:
Spoiler:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

vghetto wrote: January 5th, 2021, 3:56 pm
Spoiler:
I found out about the messenger due to a screenshot on the 5th page of the thread, which led me to check the code. And the code for the messenger is still present, it just seems to not be doing anything. :(
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

In case you're interested, the link to arobinson's original repository (https://bitbucket.org/arobi/wesnoth_rote) doesn't work anymore. This happened because BitBucket decided to delete all Mercurial repositories on the 26th of August 2020.
However, I found a site that archived these repositories before their removal, which includes the RotE one. I didn't check the content of the archived tar files, but if you want to take a look (and see if there's something that isn't available in the version on the add-ons server) it's here: https://bitbucket-archive.softwareherit ... _rote.html.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Thank you, that was helpful.
The latest on 1.12 is identical to repo head.
Spoiler:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

I can move the code to GitHub if there are people willing to maintain it. I should still have the source code somewhere on my hard drive
Campaigns:
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

arobinson wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:59 am I can move the code to GitHub if there are people willing to maintain it. I should still have the source code somewhere on my hard drive
Hi,
I'm fairly new to the wesnoth forums and I'm the one that ported RotE from 1.12 over to 1.14.

Someone wanted to maintain it over in the abandoned thread, but didn't have a computer at the time. That is fine, but I soon found out that the 1.12 version had its problems. A couple of scenarios either started or ended with instant defeats. There were other less serious issues.
So, I fixed those and uploaded it to the 1.14 server ready for that person to take over once they got the computer.

Konrad2 was kind enough to do a test run on the updated version and posted the feedback above.
I did all of the required changes. I'm currently doing a cursory run over the entire 3 campaigns to make sure I didn't break anything or introduce new bugs.
I'll be uploading the updated 1.14 version soon. I'll also send you the password for _server.pbl.

What happens afterwards is up to you. The decision to accept or reject the new changes is also up to you.
I myself have no plans in maintaining it further or porting it to 1.15.
I think the latest 1.14 will work on 1.15 anyways, but might complain about FOREACH.

Thanks.
Konrad2 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 7:49 am
Spoiler:
This is turning out to be trickier than I thought. For now I gave them a protect_location goal in addition to their guardian status. (hint to new maintainer, a micro ai here might be a better solution)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

vghetto wrote: January 6th, 2021, 6:41 pm This is turning out to be trickier than I thought. For now I gave them a protect_location goal in addition to their guardian status.
The brute force approach would be to to set their MP to 0/0.

I've also recently played a new campaign called 'The Pool of Ek', where some units have the 'defender' trait. Said trait basically means that they won't leave their designated hex no matter what. I have no idea how it's implemented, but it sounds very much like a possible solution.
arobinson wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:59 am I can move the code to GitHub if there are people willing to maintain it. I should still have the source code somewhere on my hard drive
While I cannot tell if someone will actually take over maintenance of the campaign in the future, it would very likely help anyone who wants to do so.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Konrad2 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 6:55 pm The brute force approach would be to to set their MP to 0/0.
Sorry for the delay, I got distracted by the news.

I'm not sure if making them immobile would be the best solution.
I was thinking more in terms of zone_guardian or to a lesser extent return_guardian or stationed_guardian. Meaning they can move and attack near and around the guild, but don't let them stray away much towards the enemy keeps.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

vghetto wrote: January 7th, 2021, 8:03 pm Sorry for the delay, I got distracted by the news.

I'm not sure if making them immobile would be the best solution.
I was thinking more in terms of zone_guardian or to a lesser extent return_guardian or stationed_guardian. Meaning they can move and attack near and around the guild, but don't let them stray away much towards the enemy keeps.
Oh, they don't do that either way. They are slain down to the last mage within 3 turns right outside of the guild.
And the white mages value is mostly in healing my units, which they can't do while being outside. :(
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Ah, ok. I see what you mean.
I'll freeze the mages in place. (0 MP)

Edit:
Konrad2 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 7:49 am ...

RotE version 5.1.1-2 uploaded to wesnoth 1.14 add-ons server.

This includes the Konrad2 fixes.
server.pbl password was PM'd to original author.