Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Akkarin345

Re: Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Post by Akkarin345 »

I have a problem with the last scenario on the second campaign, *spoilers* i defeated the lady who told me where the stone was, but when i went into the room on the right where i assumed it was, nothing happened. I guessed i needed to be on a certain hex but i tried every hex i think and couldn't find it... Anyone can help? XD

On the third campaign, first scenario, i like the idea of this as the opening but i felt that the rock golems were a bit too powerful and lead to a lot of loading and saving. I didn't go in every house because of the rock element behind me from the house, and as a result missed the steelclad. Maybe have some trigger when you walk past the house?
DarkenedDay

Post by DarkenedDay »

The scenarios I have played on the three Elementalist campaigns have been fun, though iI think u should be able to play with them on the third part. :mrgreen:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Akkarin345 wrote:I have a problem with the last scenario on the second campaign, *spoilers* i defeated the lady who told me where the stone was, but when i went into the room on the right where i assumed it was, nothing happened. I guessed i needed to be on a certain hex but i tried every hex i think and couldn't find it... Anyone can help? XD

On the third campaign, first scenario, i like the idea of this as the opening but i felt that the rock golems were a bit too powerful and lead to a lot of loading and saving. I didn't go in every house because of the rock element behind me from the house, and as a result missed the steelclad. Maybe have some trigger when you walk past the house?
Spoiler:
Were you able to eventually find it? If so, what do you think would have made it more clear without making it blatantly obvious?
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

I have found it now. xD
I might have read it wrong, but i assumed it meant the north eastern path which i hadn't gone down because of all the troops in the room below.
Maybe put an item or something there, like a chair with a hidden switch or something? It may just be me reading things quickly and walking around the wrong room though. xD
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi-- I'm playing part 1 of Rise of the Elementalist (using win2k, BfW 1.8.5, RotE 4.0.0), and have found something unexpected. In the scenario "Dwarven Diplomacy," Elania is a hero (has a silver crown), but she doesn't have a "loyal" indicator.

In the next scenario, "Damage Control," she does not show up in the camp at turn 1. Yrudoc is there, but Elania isn't. Elania is in the recall list (intelligent & quick, but not loyal). The objectives say that you lose if Elania dies, so I suspect she's supposed to be loyal, and probably is intended to come in via the { RECALL_LOYALS } macro.

Can you tell me if she's supposed to be loyal?
If yes, I'll fiddle with the file, force her to be loyal, and keep playing.

Looking at the WML, the ELANIA_MACRO calls { NO_UPKEEP }.
That doesn't seem to be having the desired effect.

So far, the story is good, and I'm enjoying the game play.
--sneezy
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Yes, Elania should be a hero and loyal. I'll have to try to fix this. What is odd is that I never had a problem with it.
Campaigns:
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi-- after looking at http://www.wesnoth.org/macro-reference.html
I went to Rise_of_the_Elementalist/macros1/units.cfg and made a change to the ELANIA_MACRO. I deleted the line that said {NO_UPKEEP} and put in a call to {TRAIT_LOYAL}. The result looks like this:

Code: Select all

{NAMED_UNIT 1 "White Mage" 0 0 Elania (_ "Elania") (
        [modifications]
            {TRAIT_LOYAL}
            {TRAIT_INTELLIGENT}
            {TRAIT_QUICK}
        [/modifications]
        profile=portraits/Elania.png
        gender=female
        unrenamable=yes
        {IS_HERO}
    )}

I then started up BfW 1.8.5, and loaded the file that kicks off "Dwarven Diplomacy." When I float the cursor over Elania, she is now said to be loyal. So it seems to correct the problem that I saw.

As to why it doesn't seem to be a bug for you... I've found that BfW pulls in **all** the .cfg files in the directories that you give it, and if you have some old, "unused" .cfg files laying around (maybe from an experiment way back when), they will be read and processed and can cause misbehavior. That's happened to me more than once. You might have something that defines {NO_UPKEEP}, and I apparently do not.

Before hearing back from you, I fiddled the file and proceeded. I very much wanted to get back to "The Village," which was hugely challenging to me a year ago, and caused me so much frustration that I stopped playing RotE. This time, it was a tense melee, but I made it through, and didn't spend wildly on a big bunch of units. Vallin had some powerful friends with him this time, though, which helped tip the scales toward victory. I hated "The Village" last year, but this time through it was a much better experience. It took a good bit of thought, and it was very tense for a quite a few turns until we really got the upper hand. I've played a couple of more scenarios and like them, too. I'll write more once I've finished part 1.
--sneezy
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

{NO_UPKEEP}
Euh. It certainly is a core macro.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Sneezy wrote:Hi-- after looking at http://www.wesnoth.org/macro-reference.html
I went to Rise_of_the_Elementalist/macros1/units.cfg and made a change to the ELANIA_MACRO. I deleted the line that said {NO_UPKEEP} and put in a call to {TRAIT_LOYAL}. The result looks like this:

Code: Select all

{NAMED_UNIT 1 "White Mage" 0 0 Elania (_ "Elania") (
        [modifications]
            {TRAIT_LOYAL}
            {TRAIT_INTELLIGENT}
            {TRAIT_QUICK}
        [/modifications]
        profile=portraits/Elania.png
        gender=female
        unrenamable=yes
        {IS_HERO}
    )}

I then started up BfW 1.8.5, and loaded the file that kicks off "Dwarven Diplomacy." When I float the cursor over Elania, she is now said to be loyal. So it seems to correct the problem that I saw.

As to why it doesn't seem to be a bug for you... I've found that BfW pulls in **all** the .cfg files in the directories that you give it, and if you have some old, "unused" .cfg files laying around (maybe from an experiment way back when), they will be read and processed and can cause misbehavior. That's happened to me more than once. You might have something that defines {NO_UPKEEP}, and I apparently do not.

Before hearing back from you, I fiddled the file and proceeded. I very much wanted to get back to "The Village," which was hugely challenging to me a year ago, and caused me so much frustration that I stopped playing RotE. This time, it was a tense melee, but I made it through, and didn't spend wildly on a big bunch of units. Vallin had some powerful friends with him this time, though, which helped tip the scales toward victory. I hated "The Village" last year, but this time through it was a much better experience. It took a good bit of thought, and it was very tense for a quite a few turns until we really got the upper hand. I've played a couple of more scenarios and like them, too. I'll write more once I've finished part 1.
--sneezy

Actually the loyal trait does nothing, all it does is use up a trait slot on the character. It is the upkeep=loyal that actually makes the game skip the upkeep cost, and that is what I am filtering on (at least I mean to) in my {RECALL_LOYALS} macro. So, somehow, the upkeep=loyal is being lost for people, I am not sure why. What I may do, if I cannot figure it out, is simply put code to always explicitly recall Elania where necessary and force her upkeep to loyal every campaign, but I should not have to.

Sorry you had so much problem with the village. The thing is about the elementals, is that their amla (non-unit type changing advancements), are really important, so losing any veteran elementals is a death blow to your mission. I am pretty stingy with my units, sacrificing level 1's to save my advanced units, so when I test, I usually use that paradigm.
Campaigns:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Akkarin345 wrote:
arobinson wrote:*Spoiler* When Elania also appears at the bottom, it is a nice story idea, but it felt odd that she appeared without any help, when she was supposed to be poisoned before. Could you also explain about where the poison dart came from?
Actually, if I remember right, she appears with all of your mages. So if you had no mages alive in your recall list, she would only then be alone.

I'll probably change the "poison dart", maybe just make it an undead bone arrow or something if that seems to fit the story better.
Campaigns:
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

arobinson wrote: Actually, if I remember right, she appears with all of your mages. So if you had no mages alive in your recall list, she would only then be alone.

I'll probably change the "poison dart", maybe just make it an undead bone arrow or something if that seems to fit the story better.
The undead arrow sounds better, could you have it occur in a scenario though so you actually see it rather than read about it?

Ah, i'm guessing i had no mages then. xD
Valvinar

Post by Valvinar »

Hey first off I want to say i really like this campaign. I'm on Consequences. I'm having Elania problem also, I just checked and she doesn't have the loyal trait. I would go fix it myself but I'm not sure how to get to wml code yet ><. otherwise this is great fun
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Valvinar wrote:Hey first off I want to say i really like this campaign. I'm on Consequences. I'm having Elania problem also, I just checked and she doesn't have the loyal trait. I would go fix it myself but I'm not sure how to get to wml code yet ><. otherwise this is great fun
For anyone having the "Elania problem," is it occurring on a level following a level where Elania advanced? I am wondering if the upkeep=loyal is lost when she advances since I do not use the loyal trait. I may just give her a loyal trait.

Sorry for the long time for an update, I haven't had the time or energy to fix all the issues yet.
Campaigns:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

New version (4.0.1) uploaded, see change log on first post for details. Elania bug is now fixed. I own a MacBook Pro now and could finally reproduce the issue. Not sure if that is the cause, but I never could reproduce the issue on a Ubuntu version. Still need to go through all the dialog and look for grammar mistakes, but wanted to release this fix.
Campaigns:
Valvinar

Post by Valvinar »

Do you know if we have to restart the campaign or level? I started up a save and she still didnt have the trait. Havent had time to test it out a lot yet.