Campaign: Saving Elensefar

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Circon wrote:Testing 123 123 ???
Fixed by next version.
Circon wrote:Oh, and Meneldur loses his experience a few times, annoyingly enough...
Could you give examples of where, w/ savegames?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

New version! 0.5. It SHOULD be on the campaign server. (i'm getting that wierd timing out error again. 0_o )

Main new feature is portraits (thanks pickslide). The "testing testing 123" is removed.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

The portraits look great. Reminds me of the old animated Hobbit/Lord of the Rings art style.

You should see if Pickslide would draw what Black the Red would look like at level 3. I can finally get the Shadow Lord off the ground.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Uppi

Post by Uppi »

turin wrote:
Circon wrote:Oh, and Meneldur loses his experience a few times, annoyingly enough...
Could you give examples of where, w/ savegames?
Every time I had a sea battle Meneldur reverted back to a Mariner with no XP.

Another thing:
I got a lot of reprovision-messages in The High Seas, I sometimes got up to 3 in one turn, when I was in shallow water. And it makes the 6-week-condition rather pointless, when you cant avoid to reprovision your ship every second turn...
Circon

Post by Circon »

And the Elense ships never die. They create a wreck and still stand there. But since I've found a strategy allowing me to kill the enemy leader on turn 4 with no losses, this suits me just fine. So far I've racked up over 300 gold from the stupid infinite enemy ships. Might head back to Elensefar soon and walk all over it with 3 Avengers in the lead.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Circon wrote:And the Elense ships never die. They create a wreck and still stand there. But since I've found a strategy allowing me to kill the enemy leader on turn 4 with no losses, this suits me just fine. So far I've racked up over 300 gold from the stupid infinite enemy ships. Might head back to Elensefar soon and walk all over it with 3 Avengers in the lead.
Uhm... i must have forgotten to kill the unit... will look into that... :oops:
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Unfortunately have not found bug (though probably because i did not look hard). But 0.5.1 is "out"... some changes to how you win the campaign, basically.

[edit]
actually, bug is fixed, some changes to THe High Seas that will change gameplay (for worse or better I don't know). Have fun!
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, i have released 0.5.2. There are:
* plot developments
* new scenario that i don't think works yet :oops: (its there to give an idea of the plot, not to be playable yet)
* Story images created using Wercator (a very cool gimp plugin, BTW)

This should be considered very much an unstable release... i'll release a stable version soon, i hope...

Now, the real point of this post, and the release, is this. Can anyone look over the plot as described in the scenarios and tell me if its too overdone or nonsensical? Often when writing a campaign I tend to wax melodramatic. :roll:
"A Naval Engagement", "Blackmore the Black" and "Return to Elensefar" (the fake scenario right before Saving Elensefar) have the plot developments listed.
Also, it would be nice if you could point out plot incongruities... I tried to go through and fix as many as I could, but my guess is i did a bad job....

[edit]
for some reason it won't upload to the server (the error must actually mean something now). And wesnoth freezes up so that i have to use a "kill -9" to get rid of it. So here's a zip of the scenario files, which is the main change...
The World of Orbivm
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Great campaign so far! I've only played the first two scenarios, although I should probably replay them, because I didn't get any experienced units except Meneldur.

However on the High Seas, I go to the nearby village and it takes me to a huge battle. No problem with that (except I lose :P ). But, Meneldur is nowhere to be found and Madru can't recruit, despite his leader crown. Something seems wrong there... although the inability to recruit is more like a bug in Wesnoth, the only workaround being putting them on separate sides, which would be a complex thing to do properly.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Thanks! Bug reports always welcome... :P
Invisible Philosopher wrote:However on the High Seas, I go to the nearby village and it takes me to a huge battle. No problem with that (except I lose :P ).
I'm probably going to have it give a warning message when you go there, or not let you go there at all at first. (I might make you go all the way west, for reasons that will become clear if you read the scenario files i posted).

That will probably clear things up...
Invisible Philosopher wrote:But, Meneldur is nowhere to be found and Madru can't recruit, despite his leader crown. Something seems wrong there... although the inability to recruit is more like a bug in Wesnoth,
I'll look at what happens with Meneldur not appearing... it might have to do with Black the Red being first alphabetically, and so i would have to recall Meneldur manually...
Invisible Philosopher wrote:the only workaround being putting them on separate sides, which would be a complex thing to do properly.
Actually, due to plot reasons, I might have to do this anyway.
The World of Orbivm
silvermane

Post by silvermane »

I see that version 0.5.2 is on the campaign server. However, the file size is listed as 8 MB. I sincerely hope it's a software bug or something, because there's no way I'll be willing to download that.

silvermane
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

silvermane wrote:I see that version 0.5.2 is on the campaign server. However, the file size is listed as 8 MB. I sincerely hope it's a software bug or something, because there's no way I'll be willing to download that.

silvermane
Not an error... I accidentally left a HUGE .xcf file in there (3 MB. :shock: ), and forgot to compress some other ones. I'll fix that soon.

[edit]
actually it was TWO huge .xcfs. They're both removed, and now it should only be 1-2 MB.
The World of Orbivm
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

A_Naval_Engagement.cfg wrote:[scenario]
village_gold=0
[/scenario]
Assuming that was actually your intent, since you put it there... it doesn't work. 'village_gold' is only meaningful inside [side] tags; you need to put that inside each side tag instead.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
Piter

Post by Piter »

In scenario with elves allying orc orcs are not showing up. I think their side number should be changed to 3 instead of 2 which belong to elves.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hm.. all of these bug are fixed, and would be updated on server if it would just let me upload the changes! The error "connection timed out" is apparently real this time, since the campaign size is still listed at 8 MB when it should only be 1 MB.
The World of Orbivm