Campaign: Saving Elensefar

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

try 'wesnoth --nocache'?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dacyn wrote:try 'wesnoth --nocache'?
or remove .wesnoth/cache/* for a permanent solution.

It will make the game run slower, though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

turin wrote:or remove .wesnoth/cache/* for a permanent solution.
yeah... if you want to start the campaign multiple times...
turin wrote:It will make the game run slower, though.
Not any slower than '--nocache'...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I download, install it, and load it fine without resorting to deleting any caches...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Dave wrote:I download, install it, and load it fine without resorting to deleting any caches...
if you use a move command to change the installation path, you will need to invalidate the path. You won't if you just install it.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Well the first scenario was fine for me (even if it was a little bit evil :)) but the second one (The High Seas) doesn't work. Whenever I land on a village, the next scenario begins to load and then Wesnoth segfaults with an error message about not finding a particular player, like so:

For the closest village:

Code: Select all

BEGIN: handle_event_command
handling command: 'recall'
WARNING: player Kalrar does not exist.
Segmentation fault
The the next village I found heading South West:

Code: Select all

BEGIN: handle_event_command
handling command: 'recall'
WARNING: player Dur-Kal does not exist.
Segmentation fault
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:(

i don't understand that bug. does anyone else?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
telex4

Post by telex4 »

After a CVS update it has gone, so it appears to simply be a fixed bug in the game code, not your campaign. The warning still appears, but it's harmless (so far ;)).
Integral

Post by Integral »

The "WARNING" should probably be removed from that message -- that's just debugging output from my recall patch. It means that the game tried to look up a player's recall list and couldn't find it. (usually either because it's the first scenario (so there isn't a recall list to look up) or because the player is a computer player and has no recall list) The output is there to help scenario designers in case they accidentally change the description or save_id of the human leader and then can't figure out why the player's recall list is empty.

Daniel
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Two things:

First, what does it mean when it says you can only recall "veteran units"? I haven't been able to recall any units, including those who I got to level up.

Second, how on earth do you win Theft? I am stuck trying to defeat orcs on land with Mermen!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

telex4 wrote:Two things:

First, what does it mean when it says you can only recall "veteran units"? I haven't been able to recall any units, including those who I got to level up.

Second, how on earth do you win Theft? I am stuck trying to defeat orcs on land with Mermen!
You defeat the nagas with orcs, and send rangers/soon to be rangers south to hold off the orcs. Then, you bring thugs/thieves/the free rogue you got south to defeat the enemy during night, with backup from the rangers.

I don't know why you can't recall, seems like a bug. (there was a bug report about this recently.)
The World of Orbivm
telex4

Post by telex4 »

turin wrote:You defeat the nagas with orcs, and send rangers/soon to be rangers south to hold off the orcs. Then, you bring thugs/thieves/the free rogue you got south to defeat the enemy during night, with backup from the rangers.
Are we talking about the same scenario? I can only recruit Mermen and received a free 2nd level Merman at the start :?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

telex4 wrote:
turin wrote:You defeat the nagas with orcs, and send rangers/soon to be rangers south to hold off the orcs. Then, you bring thugs/thieves/the free rogue you got south to defeat the enemy during night, with backup from the rangers.
Are we talking about the same scenario? I can only recruit Mermen and received a free 2nd level Merman at the start :?
Yes. Sorry, i realize i said defeat nagas with orcs, but i meant with mermen.
You can, indeed, recall on this scenario, as you can in ALL scenarios in this campaign. So i was assuming you would be able to recall at least one ranger, plus 2-3 nearly advanced bandits.

YOu... um... DID go to the island nearest to you first, right? You get a free rogue plus lots of XP if you do, and its not that hard a level.

[edit]
anyway, here is a new version, 0.1.2. (you can also download the campaign from the Campaign Server if you have CVS).
The World of Orbivm
telex4

Post by telex4 »

turin wrote: Yes. Sorry, i realize i said defeat nagas with orcs, but i meant with mermen.
You can, indeed, recall on this scenario, as you can in ALL scenarios in this campaign. So i was assuming you would be able to recall at least one ranger, plus 2-3 nearly advanced bandits.

YOu... um... DID go to the island nearest to you first, right? You get a free rogue plus lots of XP if you do, and its not that hard a level.
Aha, so I will have to wait for the recall bug to be fixed. I did go to the first island, and I took care on that one to get as much XP as possible :)
aelius

Post by aelius »

Hey Turin,
I think when you changed the name of the folder to Saving Elensefar (nice name, btw) it broke most of the data paths in the campaign file and in the scenarios. I've fixed some of them and it plays fine.

Good campaign so far! I like the opening scenario - nice quick run...

- b.