Campaign: Saving Elensefar

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

aelius wrote:Hey Turin,
I think when you changed the name of the folder to Saving Elensefar (nice name, btw) it broke most of the data paths in the campaign file and in the scenarios. I've fixed some of them and it plays fine.

Good campaign so far! I like the opening scenario - nice quick run...

- b.
Yeah, i noticed that. :(

Here is a fixed version for all those who don't know how to do it themselves/are too lazy.

Hehehe... i just now won Escaping the Orcs on hard, with getting an advanced archer and 4-5 nearly advanced units. So no one tell me its impossible.(of course, with the d*** recall bug i can't really continue... but oh well.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Mmmm strange i get in this update also the same f*****g message !!!

Error - Unknown scenario: 'sea_voyage_-1'

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
aelius

Post by aelius »

That's probably because you've installed the campaign into the game campaign directory instead of the user campaign directory. To fix this, add

Code: Select all

{campaigns/Saving_Elensefar/scenarios/}
after

Code: Select all

{~campaigns/Saving_Elensefar/scenarios/}
(I think I had to do this, but I can't remember)

Also, I really really like the idea of a semi-linear campaign like this. It's really really inventive! Nice work, turin.

- b.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

aelius wrote:Also, I really really like the idea of a semi-linear campaign like this. It's really really inventive! Nice work, turin.
actually, jzaun had the idea with Quest Gate, but when he left, the campaign died.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

MadMax wrote:
aelius wrote:Also, I really really like the idea of a semi-linear campaign like this. It's really really inventive! Nice work, turin.
actually, jzaun had the idea with Quest Gate, but when he left, the campaign died.
and, oddly enough... i had the idea for my campaign a couple weeks before him, didn't start developing in public for a while... then was really freaked out when i came on the forums and he had posted the Quest Gate thread. :shock:

:)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

turin wrote:
MadMax wrote:actually, jzaun had the idea with Quest Gate, but when he left, the campaign died.
and, oddly enough... i had the idea for my campaign a couple weeks before him, didn't start developing in public for a while... then was really freaked out when i came on the forums and he had posted the Quest Gate thread. :shock:

Quest Gate could have been a good campaign, if jzaun had stuck with it.

But, I am working on a short Wose campaign (SERIOUSLY!).

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

MadMax wrote:But, I am working on a short Wose campaign (SERIOUSLY!).
I believe you... i just think you're an idiot to do it. :)
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

turin wrote:
MadMax wrote:But, I am working on a short Wose campaign (SERIOUSLY!).
I believe you... i just think you're an idiot to do it. :)
It takes place during TROW, right after the Oldwood. More orcs come to attack the woses, and Elilmaldur-Rithrandil has to lead a counteroffensive.

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I really don't understand people's obsession with making campaigns based on 'pure' races. The fun comes imho when you can contain a variety of units.

I think that's what makes woses fun: they add variety. I think they'd be fun in a campaign, such as HttT, to add variety and different strategies.

Admittedly the gryphon campaign is nice fun... :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

MadMax wrote:
turin wrote: I believe you... i just think you're an idiot to do it. :)
It takes place during TROW, right after the Oldwood. More orcs come to attack the woses, and Elilmaldur-Rithrandil has to lead a counteroffensive.

IN any case... does anyone (who can get the campaign to work) have any balance suggestions, and does anyone who can't have a bug report? :)
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

oh, and just to prove the campaign is possible (preemptive balancing. :) ), here are replays of me playing in either medium or hard mode (i think hard). i have many advanced units.

although i must admit i saveloaded once or twice or thrice or 20 times... :) (but i could have gotten similar, though less impressive results without saveloading... i mostly saveload so i can not lose a unit that is about to level).

[edit]
attaching the files might be nice
[/edit]
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i hate triple posting. >(

but i kind of had to, since people probably would like to know that there is a new scenario, and the campaign can now be optained through the campaign server system. :)

here is the tar.gz for those without CVS installed / too lazy.
The World of Orbivm
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

1) You have triple posted ^^

2) How many scenarios will have the campaign ???

3) Do you need more feedback with maps ???

4) :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: EMOTICON FLOOD
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Dave wrote:I really don't understand people's obsession with making campaigns based on 'pure' races. The fun comes imho when you can contain a variety of units.

I think that's what makes woses fun: they add variety. I think they'd be fun in a campaign, such as HttT, to add variety and different strategies.

Admittedly the gryphon campaign is nice fun... :)
I think both kinds of campaign have their advantages. The nice thing about single-race campaigns or even those that only give you a handful of units is that you're forced to focus more on tactics besides unit selection.

In HttT, for example, you can usually match and defeat the enemy with appropriate unit selection. If you only had woses, you'd have to rely far more on terrain, formation and movement.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Mkgego wrote:1) You have triple posted ^^
quite true. :)

Mkgego wrote:2) How many scenarios will have the campaign ???
there are 5 now, i am less than halfway done... so probably 10-12.
Mkgego wrote:3) Do you need more feedback with maps ???
yes. So far I have maps for all current scenarios, plus two i'm not using. more would be nice.
Mkgego wrote:4) :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: EMOTICON FLOOD
You have a problem. :D
The World of Orbivm