1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by Alarantalara »

As a quick guess, you're using an older version of Wesnoth. If you get version 1.9.5 or later your problem should go away.
(Edit: Since you added the version while I was writing, my guess is confirmed.)
Dracostar_A

Post by Dracostar_A »

I'm downloading 1.97 right now, so i will see what happens soon
Edit: Thanks for the advice, it seems to be working on 1.97
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.11 just went to the server. It has some small updates, addressing points on previous page and feedback thread. I didn't put it in the repository yet. EDIT: And now I did.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Dracostar_A

Post by Dracostar_A »

on 1.97, whenever Nemesis appears, this error message occurs and the game freezes
Image does not fit on canvas
Condition ‘static_cast<int>(y)>=0’failed at src\gui\auxiliary\canvas.cpp:1059 in function ‘draw’. Extra development information: Image ‘portraits/nemesis.png’. y=-49
can this be fixed?
Edit: Sorry, but, what do you mean by 'system'?
Last edited by Dracostar_A on July 4th, 2011, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I knew I was forgetting something... What system are you using that has that feature?

Just delete the image, and that should go away.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
macherb

Re: 1.9 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.3.11

Post by macherb »

Hi,

This campaign is, lets say, strange. Frustrating.
Without cheating I have no chance, even in easy mode. With units which just tickle the enemy, where the strike back hits with 10HP its impossible to win. I made it until scenario "Camp". starting gold 350.
There
1.) it is impossible to hinder outlaws to cross the river. runners are too slow, dogs too vulnerable.
2.) In turn 4 unconditionally side 2 gets 200 gold, At this point the number of units was about equal, Ukians being by far weaker than humans, because hit chances are low.
3) For each killed human Burton receives money to recruit at least one unit. So player's units are killed without replacement, enemy's units are replaced. This cannot work.
4) By turn 13: player units: 11, enemies: 37.
?????
I never could advance units because in previous scenarios I am "at the limit".

How is this scenario to beat?

regards
macherb
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.0.4

Post by doofus-01 »

macherb wrote:1.) it is impossible to hinder outlaws to cross the river. runners are too slow, dogs too vulnerable.
That's why it helps to use both. That, and the runner's leadership ability. Don't fight them in the forest.
macherb wrote:2.) In turn 4 unconditionally side 2 gets 200 gold, At this point the number of units was about equal, Ukians being by far weaker than humans, because hit chances are low.
Not sure what you mean by hit chances being low.
macherb wrote:3) For each killed human Burton receives money to recruit at least one unit. So player's units are killed without replacement, enemy's units are replaced. This cannot work.
It's just a way to give him more troops without slogging down the AI turn, it doesn't last forever. Not unless there is a bug which got in there since I last checked.
macherb wrote:4) By turn 13: player units: 11, enemies: 37.
Not necessarily lost, but maybe. Not enough info.
macherb wrote:?????
I never could advance units because in previous scenarios I am "at the limit"
I'm not sure what you mean.
macherb

Post by macherb »

Thanks for your reply
macherb wrote:2.) In turn 4 unconditionally side 2 gets 200 gold, At this point the number of units was about equal, Ukians being by far weaker than humans, because hit chances are low.

Not sure what you mean by hit chances being low.
I meant with hit chances the %-value given in the dialog when attacking.
macherb wrote:4) By turn 13: player units: 11, enemies: 37.

Not necessarily lost, but maybe. Not enough info.
I wanted to point out, that it might be at least very challenging in "easy". Is this scenario beatable in "hard"?
macherb wrote: I never could advance units because in previous scenarios I am "at the limit"

I'm not sure what you mean.
In the first scenario I never could level up a level 1 unit, once I succeeded with a level 0 unit. That\s probably because there are (fortunately) not enough enemies.
In the second scenario there are enough enemies. :-) In this case a human unit easily kills an Ukian unit with one attack, whereas several Ukians cannot kill a human unit (hit chances!), so that I had to replace them with inexperienced units.
After posting I tried another approach: Since carryover of gold is not a matter, I tried not to press for quick success but tried to level my units: I have 6 level 2 units now. I will start a new try with "camp" now.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

macherb wrote:I meant with hit chances the %-value given in the dialog when attacking.
macherb wrote:In this case a human unit easily kills an Ukian unit with one attack, whereas several Ukians cannot kill a human unit (hit chances!)
Is it possible you are not using terrain defenses correctly? There really shouldn't be any hit-percentage disadvantage to the player. If anything, the Ukians have the advantage, because of the snow.
macherb wrote:After posting I tried another approach: Since carryover of gold is not a matter, I tried not to press for quick success but tried to level my units: I have 6 level 2 units now. I will start a new try with "camp" now.
This is the 1.8 thread, but I saw you changed the title of your first post, so if you are playing the 1.9 version (EDIT: it was, but one of the moderators was kind enough to move it), the skirmishes on the worldmap should be working, you can get some experience with that as well.
macherb

Post by macherb »

macherb wrote:After posting I tried another approach: Since carryover of gold is not a matter, I tried not to press for quick success but tried to level my units: I have 6 level 2 units now. I will start a new try with "camp" now.
OK, I could go on an finished also part two.
In part three I got stuck in scenario "Salvation".
There appear to be some problems:
If I interpret the script correctly, (lines 894ff) with Belleros some units should be loaded. In my game nothing happened. BTW: From Scenario "Snowblind" on I only could recruit but had no units for recalling, is this correct?.

Bellero bypassed Athanta, moved to the cave and disappeared there. Fine.

Now I moved Raenna to the cave and entered it. I could proceed until Raenna reaches the "lava". And nothing happens. There is an event (line 735ff) when Raenna passes x,y=59-64,18-24, but this is in the black area.

Did I overlook something?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

macherb wrote: BTW: From Scenario "Snowblind" on I only could recruit but had no units for recalling, is this correct?.
That is certainly not correct. It didn't used to do that, but I have not tried it with the more recent 1.9.x releases. At this time, I cannot even guess what is wrong.
macherb wrote: Now I moved Raenna to the cave and entered it. I could proceed until Raenna reaches the "lava". And nothing happens. There is an event (line 735ff) when Raenna passes x,y=59-64,18-24, but this is in the black area.

Did I overlook something?
No, it seems that event trigger should be wider, I'll replace 59 with 55. Thanks. Just get her to walk in the box bound by that event and it should work, forget about the lava.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.12 just went to the server, I think. I can't connect to the server to check, hope I didn't break it. Now it's OK, maybe there was flood-control.

Assuming it did, there are a significant number of changes, biggest one is that scenario Royal Rumble was rewritten. This version also needs the latest Archaic_Era version to work (I just uploaded that too, hopefully).
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.13 just went to the server. Shops were broken, now they should be fixed. They weren't a big part of the campaign, but enough to require an update. I also lowered the gold involved in skirmishes and shops, I think there was a bit too much gold sloshing around for the real scenarios.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

Yeah, just thought I'd post this both for giggles and for the sake of bug reporting. I killed the last unit in a random encounter group towards the beginning of the game. The final blow was struck by my commander, and I was greeted by Irid the TALKING DOG.
Attachments
And there was much guffawing.
And there was much guffawing.
HaJo
Inactive Developer

Post by HaJo »

I'm running BfW 1.9.9, and after downloading your addon 1.3.13, I get several popups
with an errormessage every time the game starts.

From stderr.txt:
20110910 22:40:23 error config: Macro/file '~add-ons/Archaic_Era/installed.cfg' is missing at ~add-ons/Bad_Moon_Rising/_main.cfg:26
20110910 22:40:23 error config: error reading usermade add-on 'C:/Programme/Game/Battle-for-Wesnoth_199/userdata/data/add-ons/Bad_Moon_Rising/_main.cfg'

20110910 22:40:23 error general: The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
C:/Programme/Game/Battle-for-Wesnoth_199/userdata/data/add-ons/Bad_Moon_Rising/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
Macro/file '~add-ons/Archaic_Era/installed.cfg' is missing at ~add-ons/Bad_Moon_Rising/_main.cfg:26
If the "Archaic Era" is needed for BadMoonRising, it should automatically suggest to download it.
I have seen at least one other campain that does that.
-HaJo