1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

stt

Re: 1.14 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by stt »

Hello doofus-01,

with a "little help" from Konrad2 i was able to win the scenario Mirror Pond and i finished now the campaign over all. Thanks a lot for this great job. At the end i have some questions and observations: in the last scenario with belleros (death and dignity?) one task is to move your units across the black river to be safe. The veterans units ("loyal") have a special dialogue, because they are from beginning by the side of belleros. Why is carghanna (on the recall list green highlighted) not such an veteran? The peasant from the first map too? There is no difference beetween saving all units or only Belleros.
You can kill the big lion ("immortal") in the last scenario with ares' help. Why leave the units of the order no good items like silver swords behind, but only crap items?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

How do I pick up a piece of armor dropped by the enemy leader, if the scenario ends with killing them? Is it automatically moved to my inventory? Or...?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sorry for the slow response, but I'm here now.
Konrad2 wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 9:39 pm
ThinkSome wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 8:27 pm Can someone please explain why, when an item is picked up by a unit that cannot use it, the only recourse given is to DELETE it from the game altogether?! There is no option to drop it.
I'm not quite sure if I understand you correctly. You are aware that the inventory is shared across all units, right? So there is no need to drop items. If a unit picks up an item it is unable to use, the item is automatically added to said inventory.
Yeah. For all its faults, some things about the inventory UI were deliberate. I had to balance two concepts:
  • "realistic" but annoying things like having the player's units carry everything individually and need to move units around the map to grab items dropped by other units of the same side.
  • The ability to pass the big guns around between all units in a single turn, so everybody gets to use them.
I think it strikes the right balance, but I'm open to other thoughts.
stt wrote: July 24th, 2019, 8:55 am Hello doofus-01,

with a "little help" from Konrad2 i was able to win the scenario Mirror Pond and i finished now the campaign over all. Thanks a lot for this great job. At the end i have some questions and observations: in the last scenario with belleros (death and dignity?) one task is to move your units across the black river to be safe. The veterans units ("loyal") have a special dialogue, because they are from beginning by the side of belleros. Why is carghanna (on the recall list green highlighted) not such an veteran? The peasant from the first map too? There is no difference beetween saving all units or only Belleros.
You can kill the big lion ("immortal") in the last scenario with ares' help. Why leave the units of the order no good items like silver swords behind, but only crap items?
Hello stt,
You bring up some points that could be bugs, let's see.
  • That the peasants from the first BMR2 scenario aren't given special consideration at the Black River is because it didn't occur to me that anyone would care. But since recruits are limited, I guess some allowance for that should be made.
  • Carghanna shouldn't be on the recall list, since she's ... well... if you follow the story, that wouldn't make much sense. How did that happen? My guess would be you did something in BMR3 - Checkpoint that I didn't anticipate. Or there's a straight-up bug. Who knows...
  • Saving units at the Black River should take them out of the battle at the volcano as the enemy defenders. It used to work, if it's not working, then something is broken.
  • There are good items for the Raenna and the order, did you search some of the side rooms? Also, what the enemy defenders drop really depends on what happened at the Black River. Enemy units benefit from the items they carry, it's not just a loot-drop. In any case, the humans are cannon-fodder, the Primevals wouldn't give them anything more than they thought they had to at this point.
  • As for the Chimera, I've never seen this close to happening in my own play-throughs, but maybe there was some arrangement I didn't consider.
You didn't use debug mode, by any chance?
ThinkSome wrote: July 24th, 2019, 10:54 pm How do I pick up a piece of armor dropped by the enemy leader, if the scenario ends with killing them? Is it automatically moved to my inventory? Or...?
Probably it is lost, where did this happen?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

doofus-01 wrote: July 29th, 2019, 1:05 am
[*]Carghanna shouldn't be on the recall list, since she's ... well... if you follow the story, that wouldn't make much sense. How did that happen? My guess would be you did something in BMR3 - Checkpoint that I didn't anticipate. Or there's a straight-up bug. Who knows...
Could it be related to my bug where Hrala does not appear?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Konrad2 wrote: July 29th, 2019, 1:31 am
[*]Carghanna shouldn't be on the recall list, since she's ... well... if you follow the story, that wouldn't make much sense. How did that happen? My guess would be you did something in BMR3 - Checkpoint that I didn't anticipate. Or there's a straight-up bug. Who knows...
Could it be related to my bug where Hrala does not appear?
Possibly related, but it's a clue I'll have to file for later, since it's not obvious to me right now. I did play through all BMR, and didn't have this stuff happen, so I'm not sure what happened. With such bugs, the story would seem like a bad acid trip, why would anyone keep playing? :lol:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

ThinkSome wrote: July 24th, 2019, 10:54 pm How do I pick up a piece of armor dropped by the enemy leader, if the scenario ends with killing them? Is it automatically moved to my inventory? Or...?
On some forest clash scenario, iirc.

Btw: Huric's cavalry clash scenario has no turn limit and thus gold farming can be easily accomplished.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

ThinkSome wrote: July 29th, 2019, 2:21 am
On some forest clash scenario, iirc.

Btw: Huric's cavalry clash scenario has no turn limit and thus gold farming can be easily accomplished.
Then it is what it is. The units with equipment should be visible with the backpack status icon, play accordingly. However, maybe the victory text should be updated.
I'll look at the Huric scenarios again, thanks.
stt

Post by stt »

Thx for answering me.
No i don't use the debug modus. Of course i found all the special items in the side rooms. But i mean the scenarios before this one, where these humans are enemies to belleros and all they leave behind are steel rings...
The fight between ares and the chimera lasts over more than 100 rounds, because it started after eyery cimera's level up with full hp.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Now I can actually afford the stuff at shops! <buys 10 of each>
Attachments
bmr_gold_farm2.png
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

In shops, specifically the one between fort khule and the mines, after the huric-at-khule mission, the unit-has-inventory indicator is not showing (In this case Lorenzon has 5 pieces of gear):
bmr_no_inventory_indicator.png
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

BMR1 and BMR2 now have (partial decked out) replay topics. I'll do BMR3 in the next days and fill it out with what I have as well.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

stt wrote: July 29th, 2019, 7:19 am No i don't use the debug modus. Of course i found all the special items in the side rooms. But i mean the scenarios before this one, where these humans are enemies to belleros and all they leave behind are steel rings...
You must have had bad luck with the steel rings, they can drop other things too. Kite shield and iron buckler are probably the best, but there are a few other things too. I'll consider giving them more, but no silver swords or anything like that.
stt wrote: July 29th, 2019, 7:19 am The fight between ares and the chimera lasts over more than 100 rounds, because it started after eyery cimera's level up with full hp.
Hah, I'd never bothered testing it that long. I'll look at it again, maybe keeping the Chimera needed XP from growing would work. Depending on where and when it kept Ares busy, it might have done its job anyway.
ThinkSome wrote: July 30th, 2019, 1:26 am Now I can actually afford the stuff at shops! <buys 10 of each>
There are much easier ways to get there, if you're into that sort of thing. ;)
ThinkSome wrote: July 30th, 2019, 8:08 pm In shops, specifically the one between fort khule and the mines, after the huric-at-khule mission, the unit-has-inventory indicator is not showing (In this case Lorenzon has 5 pieces of gear):
Interesting, I think I know what happened. Thanks.
Konrad2 wrote: July 31st, 2019, 8:17 pm BMR1 and BMR2 now have (partial decked out) replay topics. I'll do BMR3 in the next days and fill it out with what I have as well.
Thanks. I'm a little surprised replays are working.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

doofus-01 wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 10:59 am Thanks. I'm a little surprised replays are working.
Err...I kinda forgot about that issue. But most of my replays should be fine since I've not used items recently.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

doofus-01 wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 10:59 am
ThinkSome wrote: July 30th, 2019, 1:26 am Now I can actually afford the stuff at shops! <buys 10 of each>
There are much easier ways to get there, if you're into that sort of thing. ;)
I know that I could have edited a save game, but I used this opportunity for some practice with xdotool (X11 key/mouse automation).

Speaking of those cavalry encounters, without this "bug", they are too hard on your resources:
1) The income is abysmall
2) You have to recruit/recall, you cannot just use the "marching formation" units

Is there a reason why "marching formation" units are not spawned for the cavalry missions?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Konrad2 wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 11:42 am Err...I kinda forgot about that issue. But most of my replays should be fine since I've not used items recently.
With any luck, it will no longer a problem. Version 1.11.0 has been released, for BfW 1.14. I bumped the version 1.10.x -> 1.11.x because I'm not sure how compatible old saves are, there is ample chance for bugs related to old data. I also did not address any of the recently reported issues, there will have to be another update soon(ish).

Major changes:
- replays issues fixed, at least for the main scenarios (shop scenario replays, for example, most likely don't work). Old replays won't work, usually.
- the equipment has a weight now, which directly lowers terrain defense, and for every ten points reduces the movement by one. The precise values of this will surely need revision, but I believe the mechanics work.
- some more items have been added

This replay worked for me, for the first time.
BMR1-Abandoned replay.gz
(19.52 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
ThinkSome wrote: August 4th, 2019, 1:07 pm I know that I could have edited a save game, but I used this opportunity for some practice with xdotool (X11 key/mouse automation).

Speaking of those cavalry encounters, without this "bug", they are too hard on your resources:
1) The income is abysmall
2) You have to recruit/recall, you cannot just use the "marching formation" units

Is there a reason why "marching formation" units are not spawned for the cavalry missions?
xdotool sounds interesting, thanks for the info.
The cavalry missions are supposed to be a drain, rather than another opportunity to milk the AI. Especially since you have some agency in whether you have to face them, unlike the random encounters. They do need some revision though, so we'll see where it goes.