Adventures of Knighthood (v1.2.0) - BfW 1.15

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pewskeepski

Re: New Campaign: Adventers of Knighthood

Post by Pewskeepski »

Wow, thank you! I'm quite surprised to see someone bringing this up to date, as I didn't think anybody cared :P (it was my first campaign ever and I was fourteen when I made it!)

Would you mind if I uploaded it to official 1.15 server? Or are there bugs you feel should be worked out first? I haven't played this thing myself in years :augh:
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Pewskeepski wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:35 am Wow, thank you! I'm quite surprised to see someone bringing this up to date, as I didn't think anybody cared :P (it was my first campaign ever and I was fourteen when I made it!)

Would you mind if I uploaded it to official 1.15 server? Or are there bugs you feel should be worked out first? I haven't played this thing myself in years :augh:
No, I wouldn't mind at all - In fact, the reason why I didn't port it myself is because I wanted to check your opinion first :D

The line between bugs and features can be blurry, so I completely refrained from changing any aspect of gameplay. One thing I'd recommend you to change is the overall gold and turn limit, because I almost got Kaylan to level 3 in the very first scenario... But maybe the focus on big and levelled armies facing off against each other in huge battles is exactly what you intended. Again, I only patched the code - the campaign design is entirely your realm.
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I'm currently in the process of polishing up my second campaign, Burning Souls for 1.15, so all my attention is on that first and foremost. However, I'll upload this to 1.15 server and see. If anyone wants to play it and give feedback, I might be able/willing to pull myself away and do a few touch ups. And maybe at some point, I'll get around to playing it myself.

I do seem to recall that big battles with lots of units was what I wanted, way back then. I think the whole 'Halstead Defense' storyline came into being just because I wanted to make a campaign in which you defended it instead of attacked it, as you do in Liberty. :D
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Hi

I'm playing your campaign, intermediate difficult, BfW 1.15.8

In the scenario The Battle for Halstead every good tactics is thwarted by the suicidal behavior of Dommel.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I'm playing your campaign, intermediate difficult, BfW 1.15.8

In the scenario The Battle for Halstead every good tactics is thwarted by the suicidal behavior of Dommel.
Hi, I have the same issue.
AoK-The Battle for Halstead-Auto-Save10.gz
(103.24 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Okay, so I have finished this. I redid my strategy for the fifth scenario and ensured Dommel stayed put by taking most of the damage myself (lost quite a lot).
Anyways, here are my replays (and saves):
saves.7z
(787.08 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Bugs
  • In Scenario "Reprisal" (the last one), I get "Invalid WML" error when Eldred rushes into the battlefield to attack Delfador.
  • In the Scenario where I skewer Iliah Malal...The spawn locations of the Death Knights were made very obvious and I was able to dispatch the Wraith Spawner one when he spawned.
Thoughts
  • Hated the first scenario. Not a fan of having to do stuff with nothing but peasants, woodsmen and Ruffians
  • Horsemen should be allowed to be recruited at an earlier stage...the scenario where I got to recruit them was the one where having them proved to be a disadvantage as my enemies were Undead. Same for the next one.
  • Why am I not allowed to recruit Fencers or Heavy Infantryman?
  • The "Betrayal on the Battlefield" was rather nonsensical as the ending cutscene triggered while I was on the verge of killing the second orcish leader, and winning the scenario.
  • In the fifth scenario, the Direwolf Messenger pops up from the South, announcing the death of Zorlan...The battle took place at Abez which is North-east from Halstead so...this was rather geographically incorrect.
  • Kaylan deserves his "Sir" prefix to his name when he is knighted. Why not add that?
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Argesilao2 wrote: January 10th, 2021, 2:04 pm In the scenario The Battle for Halstead every good tactics is thwarted by the suicidal behavior of Dommel.
Perhaps the best solution to this is to make him a passive leader. Then he'll stay put and it'll simply be up to you to defend him.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:56 pm [*] In Scenario "Reprisal" (the last one), I get "Invalid WML" error when Eldred rushes into the battlefield to attack Delfador.
Hmm, I'll look into that. Probably has something to do with the [animate_unit] code I was using :hmm:
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:56 pm [*] In the Scenario where I skewer Iliah Malal...The spawn locations of the Death Knights were made very obvious and I was able to dispatch the Wraith Spawner one when he spawned.
Yeah, I think the whole "fleeing" idea is nonsensical, as the army is literally upon Iliah-Malal already. And the reinforcements are so pitiful that it's hard to justify the characters wiliness to abandon the battle completely.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:56 pm [*] Hated the first scenario. Not a fan of having to do stuff with nothing but peasants, woodsmen and Ruffians
Eh, I wanted the player to start with Kaylan as a squire. And as such, I wanted the player to feel like they have to 'earn' a real army. But your annoyance is worth looking into; could you be more specific as to why?
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:56 pm [*] Horsemen should be allowed to be recruited at an earlier stage...the scenario where I got to recruit them was the one where having them proved to be a disadvantage as my enemies were Undead. Same for the next one.
[*] Why am I not allowed to recruit Fencers or Heavy Infantryman?
Dunno. Can't think of any good reason why you shouldn't be able to recruit horseman, fencers and infantryman.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:56 pm [*] The "Betrayal on the Battlefield" was rather nonsensical as the ending cutscene triggered while I was on the verge of killing the second orcish leader, and winning the scenario.
I feel the whole scenario is rather disapointing, especially since it's a representative of such a crucial moment in Wesnoth's history. I sure was ambitious when I made this thing, but I don't think the final result really delivers.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:56 pm [*] In the fifth scenario, the Direwolf Messenger pops up from the South, announcing the death of Zorlan...The battle took place at Abez which is North-east from Halstead so...this was rather geographically incorrect.
Indeed. That'll be changed.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:56 pm [*] Kaylan deserves his "Sir" prefix to his name when he is knighted. Why not add that?
Also a good point :)
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Pewskeepski wrote: January 15th, 2021, 9:56 am
Argesilao2 wrote: January 10th, 2021, 2:04 pm In the scenario The Battle for Halstead every good tactics is thwarted by the suicidal behavior of Dommel.
Perhaps the best solution to this is to make him a passive leader. Then he'll stay put and it'll simply be up to you to defend him.
if I can make a suggestion; in my campaigns, when I don't want an allied or enemy leader to wander around too much, but I want him to be able to defend himself and fight, simply I set his movement points to 0 or very low. ;)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Eh, I wanted the player to start with Kaylan as a squire. And as such, I wanted the player to feel like they have to 'earn' a real army. But your annoyance is worth looking into; could you be more specific as to why?
I see your reasoning behind it and I guess it's acceptable. It's just not my cup of tea when it comes to scenarios where I am given only level 0 units as recruits. The enemy sides were like passing through any zaps in my formations and took out units in one move. So, it was more or less a battle of attrition. Sir Edgar's forces had no grouping whatsoever so they got picked off in 1v3 encounters.
Pewskeepski

Adventers of Knighthood (v1.2.0) - BfW 1.15

Post by Pewskeepski »

Adventures of Knighthood (v1.2.0) is now available for download from the 1.15 add-on server!

This is quite late considering when it was updated by MoonyDragon, but I realized I never actually uploaded it :oops:
I haven't made many changes or improvements yet, as life's been busy and I feel less strongly about this campaign than I do about Burning Souls. But it is updated and should run okay on the newest version of the game. If anybody encounters any issues, please let me known and I'll try to get to fixing them as best as I am able.

Synopsis: Take on the role of Sir Kaylan, one of the greatest knights of Wesnoth, in a series of some of his most exciting adventures! Defend Halstead from an orcish attack, duel with a knight who practises necromancy, fight an evil sorcerer and take part in one of Wesnoth's most historic uprisings!

Enjoy!