A Group in a War: 1.18 SP simple RPG campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pauxlo

Re: A Group in a War: 1.12/1.13 SP simple RPG campaign

Post by pauxlo »

In 1.13/1.14 versons, you can recruit a healer. (She is hidden in the map, though.) [...]The hint message was not so frequent, so I increase the probability a bit more.
Ah, I once saw a message about an elvish girl, but when I arrived at the village in the mentioned location (about 6 turns later, I think), nothing extraordinary happened.
That's why I added poisoners in the last battle. I am really surprised you won that battle without healer :shock:
I used a bit of reloading, retreating poisoned units (if I couldn't heal them by leveling), letting other wounded units stay still in the back for many turns to heal 2 hp each, and full-out attacks against the orc slayers so they mostly could not poison more than one unit. Other than that, holding a position with level-3 archers seems to help, then the slayers mostly don't dare to attack me. (And having just or two one open spots to attack from seems to help too.)
AG-Attack_the_main_Outpost_Aufzeichnung_abspielen.gz
(91.01 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
Here is the proof ;)

I'll try the newer version again, on the higher difficulty, later (after some other campaigns).
tamanegi

Re: A Group in a War: 1.12/1.13 SP simple RPG campaign

Post by tamanegi »

Paul, you are great! ;)
Your play is apparently beyond my expectation. Surprised at food amount at first. Immediate kill of royal guards is totally unexpected. Abuse of leadership after that is really smart tactics.

# and I'm also happy to see you renamed the hero :D
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
pauxlo

Re: A Group in a War: 1.12/1.14 SP simple RPG campaign

Post by pauxlo »

I just tried to start this with a fresh 1.14 build on hard level ("survive"), with a freshly downloaded addon from the server, and somehow my hero unit was missing after selecting traits (resilient & fast, I think).
Of course I lost immediately when the first scenario started.

(Update: happens also on easy, and I don't have the unit in the choose-traits dialog either.)

This is the output on the console while running the game (after chosing the campaign), which might be related.

Code: Select all

20180501 17:37:50 warning engine: Trying to remove non-existent menu item 'a_movehere'; ignoring.
20180501 17:37:50 warning engine: Trying to remove non-existent menu item 'a_toxin'; ignoring.
20180501 17:37:50 warning engine: Trying to remove non-existent menu item 'b_group_status'; ignoring.
20180501 17:37:50 warning engine: Trying to remove non-existent menu item 'x_jukebox'; ignoring.
20180501 17:37:50 warning engine: Trying to remove non-existent menu item 'z_settings'; ignoring.
20180501 17:37:50 warning engine: Trying to remove non-existent menu item 'z_user_help'; ignoring.
20180501 17:37:50 warning engine: Trying to remove non-existent menu item 'zzz_debug'; ignoring.
Invalid WML found: [unstore_unit]: variable 'ag_store_you' doesn't contain unit data
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
Invalid WML found: [unstore_unit]: variable 'temp_move' doesn't contain unit data
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
The two "Invalid WML found" are also shown as messages in the program window.
Attachments
AG-Outpost Runde 1-lost.gz
(88.35 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
tamanegi

Re: A Group in a War: 1.12/1.14 SP simple RPG campaign

Post by tamanegi »

Uh-oh. Thanks, pauxlo.
I can confirm that, too. I tentatively removed this and jukebox addons from the addon server.
It was ok when I uploaded to the 1.14 server (around 1.13.12 or 1.13.13; I forgot)...

Anyway, I will try to remove this bug.

(edit)
The bug is fixed! This addon and Tamanegi jukebox are uploaded to the addon server again.
I didn't place the hero explicitly. I cannot understand why former versions work fine. :roll:
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
pauxlo

Re: A Group in a War: 1.14 SP simple RPG campaign

Post by pauxlo »

Thanks, this works. Playing now.

One thing I noted: During a skirmish in the outpost, I had one level-1 unit (and a level 0), and had an upkeep of 1 (later 2, because he leveled) for that one unit.
As the skirmish took 10 turns, I had suddenly only 6 gold left instead of 21 before the skirmish, which made it impossible to hold until next payday.

I guess during the skirmishes the upkeep should not happen – and I think this still worked fine previously under Wesnoth 1.12 (at least from what I remember – though I played not on hard).
Attachments
AG-Skirmish at the Outpost-Autospeichern10.gz
(68.66 KiB) Downloaded 539 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(Units that are 'declared' as having no upkeep at the beginning of the scenario need upkeep when they level up)
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

:augh: :augh:
Ah, yes... I fixed the upkeep bug and uploaded 0.1.6c.
Thank you for reporting, pauxlo and Konrad2!

# I use [effect] tag instead of upkeep=loyal in this ver.
# it works fine so far.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Thanks!

I'm sorry that I have to report another bug (with 0.1.6d) ... somehow on the main map some enemy troops appear with negative hit points (after some skirmishes between empire and kingdom near my outpost).
On the first hand it seems that this is a really nice way to get some experience for new soldiers, as one hit is enough to kill each of the units there.
But on the other hand, the AI gets problems with that, and Wesnoth crashes at some point.
AG-Skirmish Runde 3-c.gz
(77.39 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
When loading this and ending the turn, Wesnoth crashes. (I created a separate bug report for Wesnoth itself.)
AG-Field Aufzeichnung abspielen-x27.gz
(53.49 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
This might give you an idea how we got to the negative hitpoint troop.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Thank you for the report, pauxlo!

I found that negative HP unit can appear when an assault troop is killed by a counter attack.
I fixed this bug and uploaded new version 0.1.7.
There could be some other bugs in some different situation. But at least one of bugs is removed...

# the AI problem is beyond me... and it never happens in usual plays.

(EDIT: May 16th) Sorry, there is another upkeep bug for Fiona and Karl. This bug is fixed and the new version 0.1.7a was uploaded.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

There had been upkeep bugs for Fiona and Karl in the former versions. :oops:
That bug is fixed and a new version 0.1.7b for BfW 1.14 is uploaded.

If you already encounter the bug, please update the addon to 0.1.7b and
restart from the beginning of a battle scenario (skirmish etc.). Then, a
message will be shown and their upkeep must be fixed.

If there are any other bugs, please write here or PM me, thanks. ;)

(sorry for a repeated post)
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

*Crawls out of grave* Man, I've been dead here for six years ever since I was recruited as a level 1 unit by the local leader in his keep lol (aka conscripted) and your campaign was so fun it brought me back! Good job on necromancy by fun campaign!

Anyway, I don't know why but when the deserting troops started spouting a certain expletive starting with 'f' out of nowhere, I kinda laughed out loud uncontrollably. Doesn't get old no matter how many times it appeared. I just didn't expect to see such language in Battle for Wesnoth haha. Anyway, it's not a concern to me as it gave me a good tickle time and again, but would it be in violation of any rules of the add-on server or community?
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

The guideline says addons should be roughly comparable to PG-13 or ESRB T.
I thought less frequent use of f-word might be allowed...
# I am not familiar with those rating systems, though.

Anyway, that word is nothing important in this addon.
I replace that f-word to a very peaceful phrase, "Damn it". ;)
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

tamanegi wrote: May 20th, 2018, 2:44 am The guideline says addons should be roughly comparable to PG-13 or ESRB T.
I thought less frequent use of f-word might be allowed...
# I am not familiar with those rating systems, though.

Anyway, that word is nothing important in this addon.
Oh darn, that's one less thing to make me roll around on the ground in a fit of giggles... *Goes back into grave and piles dirt on top of himself*

Lol just kidding! But good fix :D

And I might be staying for a while. I have a super secret campaign in development, a revival of my project from six years ago, but more manageable and less ambitious.
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

tamanegi wrote: May 20th, 2018, 2:44 am Anyway, that word is nothing important in this addon.
Hmm, this is replacing a sex-related cuss word with a religious one, not sure that's better ;)
(I don't care, you'll just offend a different set of people.)

But on another note, related to my earlier "negative hit points" problem:
With the crash fixed on Wesnoth side, I now get occassionally Lua errors about setting hitpoints to negative values (during fights of AI on the main map).
Turn before:
AG-Field-Autospeichern346.gz
(148.37 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
– I was just moving north from here.
lua-error-negative-hitpoints.png
Turn after:
AG-Field-Autospeichern347.gz
(151.57 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
(I think Wesnoth now simply ignores the setting to negative values, with the effect that those troops don't die until I arrive to save them.)
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

:augh:
I fixed the bug and uploaded new version 0.1.8.
A bug in the new bridge guard generation is also fixed.

Thank you again, pauxlo! :D