A Goblin Adventure - Short SP Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Graziani

A Goblin Adventure - Short SP Campaign

Post by Graziani »

Hello Wesnoth community !

(Major edit= original publication in the end of this text)

After a long time of real life occupation, i finally finished this campaign.
It's a small single player campaign, named "A Goblin Adventure".
This campaign invites the player to lead a divided goblin tribe through a short but intense 5 level campaign (4 playable).

Even if i'm still working on my other campaign "From rocks and blood" (troll campaign, 23 levels), it's the first campaign i share with you. That's why i need your feedback :)
(If there is any problem with GPL or whatever it is please tell me).

Languages

The campaign is in english now !
I'm warning you, I'm french, i don't speak english perfectly yet! So it is sure you will find mistakes in the dialogs. If someone is interested to help, you are welcome.
Edit: Except the introduction, are still in french the transitions (story.txt) between levels

Description

After a terrible battle against a troll clan, some gobelins found a shelter and tried to organize themselves. But a fight happened inside the group, and all the wolves which were belonging to the goblins escaped from the caves. A Goblin is nothing without it's wolf, so there was no other possibilites for them... They had to leave the mountains to find them !

What is going to change/Bugs/future versions

Except balance and testing, some fixes are needed :
-Improve the text in a more lyric style (especially stories between levels, for both english and french version)
-Correct the mistakes in the english version
-Give to the maps more beauty (objects, scenery...)
-Replace or delete pictures of story parts in order to reduce the size of the campaign.
-Correct minor bug with dialogs (especially lvl 2 and lvl 4)
-A big clean and reorganization of all XML in order to be readable by anyone.
-Bug reports, ideas for improvement, and other feedback are of course welcome and needed.

Difficulty

Except the fourth level, which is hard from my point of view (probably too much), i would say the campaign is intermediate level. I need feedback and test to know what i need to improve/change about gold and difficulty.

Artwork

Almost all of the artwork is from mine. The pictures in the stories are from wesnoth or free-use ones. I used the goblin archer and some portraits from other campaigns. Thanks for that, and if i have to remove it and choose something else let me know it. I will try anyway to replace it by some artwork from myself.

Version

0.8 version, originally designed for wesnoth 1.10 and adapted to 1.12.
The campaign is available on addon server.

Like i said before, don't hesitate to give feedback, ideas, bugs... Anything !

Thanks for reading me, have fun!

Précision française

Bonjour aux francophones de la communauté Wesnoth!

La campagne était diffusée à la base sur le serveur en français mais cette version n'est plus disponible (le texte était en français directement dans les xml des scénarios. J'ai donc traduit en anglais et mis de côté la version française). Je suis en train de travailler sur cette version française avant de mettre de nouveau à jour l'addon.

Code: Select all

Hello Wesnoth community !

After a long time of real life occupation, i finally finished this campaign. 
It's a small single player campaign, named "A Goblin Adventure". 
This campaign invites the player to lead a divided goblin tribe through a short but intense 5 level campaign (4 playable).

Even if i'm still working on my other campaign "From rocks and blood" (troll campaign, 23 levels), it's the first campaign i share with you. That's why i need your feedback  :) 
(If there is any problem with GPL or whatever it is please tell me).

Languages

I warn you from the beginning, I'm french, i don't speak english perfectly yet! 
The campaign is in french language, but i try to give you as soon as possible an english version. If someone is interested to help, you are welcome.
Edit : Objectives are now in english.

Description

After a terrible battle against a troll clan, some gobelins found a shelter and tried to organize themselves. But a fight happened inside the group, and all the wolves which were belonging to the goblins escaped from the caves. A Goblin is nothing without it's wolf, so there was no other possibilites for them... They had to leave the mountains to find them !

Except balance and testing, some minor fixes are needed :
-Improve the text in a more lyric style (stories between levels)
-Correct minor bug with dialogs (especially lvl 2)
-Bug reports, ideas for improvement, and other feedback are of course welcome and needed. 

Difficulty

Except the fourth level, which is hard from my point of view (probably too much), i would say the campaign is intermediate level. I need feedback and test to know what i need to improve/change about gold and difficulty.

Artwork

Almost all of the artwork is from mine. The pictures in the stories are from wesnoth or free-use ones. I used the goblin archer and some portraits from other campaigns. Thanks for that, and if i have to remove it and choose something else let me know it. I will try anyway to replace it by some artwork from myself.

Version

0.8 version, originally designed for wesnoth 1.10 and adapted to 1.12.
[b]Edit : The campaign is available on addon server.[/b]

Like i said before, don't hesitate to give feedback, ideas, bugs... Anything ! 

Thanks for reading me, have fun!

Précision française

Bonjour aux francophones de la communauté Wesnoth! 

Je ne vais pas répéter le texte ci-dessus mais j'ai une petite précision à faire concernant notre langue dans cette campagne. J'ai mis les dialogues directement en français dans les XML des scénarios. Ce qui signifie que vous ne verrez ni accents, ni cédilles, ni beaucoup d'autres choses. N'en soyez pas choqués c'est donc normal. Je vais remplacer ces textes par la traduction anglaise le moment venu et je serai alors en mesure de créer un fichier de traduction en bon français. 

Précision supplémentaire; je compte développer les dialogues d'une manière plus poussée.
Les textes de transition entre les niveaux ne sont absolument pas définitifs.

N'hésitez pas à faire part de vos retours !

Merci et bon jeu !
Attachments
Here you can see some custom goblin units the player will use in game.
Here you can see some custom goblin units the player will use in game.
goblins - AGA.png (8.2 KiB) Viewed 9292 times
Last edited by Graziani on October 21st, 2017, 10:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Creator and maintainer of "A goblin adventure" (available) and "From Rocks and Blood"(available) --- Working on a new campaign "Facing Death"
Graziani

Re: A Goblin Adventure - Short SP Campaign

Post by Graziani »

Okay so i can't publish it... Classic i guess for the first time. I checked all wiki and forum, everytime people didn't put the good name for the .pbl or it is a problem of add-on directory.

I can't see the problem in my case. I reinstalled the game 2 times. Here is my _server.pbl

author="Graziani"
icon="units/goblins/pillager.png~RC(magenta>red)"
version="0.8"
title="A Goblin Adventure"
type="campaign"
description="The campaign need test and balance, economic fixes and turns count. Actually in french, it need also english translation. Artwork from myself. Goblin Archer and portraits are from some different campaigns or eras. It is eventually planned to change it by some personal creations. Story pictures from wesnoth and free use pictures."
passphrase="***"
email="***"

[feedback]
    topic_id=46971
[/feedback]
It is next to my main.cfg, in my addon file. The addon server don't give me the posibility to publish my campaign. No green stuff with the name of my campaign. Just the others users addons. I have 4 versions of wesnoth in my computer i tried all. I usually use the 1.12.6
Attachments
wesnoth.png
Creator and maintainer of "A goblin adventure" (available) and "From Rocks and Blood"(available) --- Working on a new campaign "Facing Death"
MiddleTwin

Post by MiddleTwin »

It looks like Windows is hiding your real file extension from you. Note that the type of your _server.pbl is shown as a cfg file. This means that the actual name of it is _server.pbl.cfg, and it's just not being displayed in windows explorer. If you want to verify this, you can open cmd.exe, navigate to your campaign's folder, and run dir to list the files.
Edit: this is not the only way to do this. If you don't line like using command prompt you can also find some setting about showing/hiding file extensions in file explorer's settings.

Also, hello fellow short goblin campaign writer! I recently published a short goblin campaign myself, so I'm curious to see what you've done.
Currently writing The Goblin Rebellion, an sp campaign for version 1.12 and up.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

It looks like Windows is hiding your real file extension from you. Note that the type of your _server.pbl is shown as a cfg file. This means that the actual name of it is _server.pbl.cfg, and it's just not being displayed in windows explorer. If you want to verify this, you can open cmd.exe, navigate to your campaign's folder, and run dir to list the files.
Hello MiddleTwin ! Yes it was a problem with notepad, which couldn't save as a proper pbl file. I installed again notepad and now everything is done. The campaign is on the addon server. Thanks for your help.

Yes it's funny i didn't see your campaign we both did a 4 level playable goblin campaign! I will try your campaign this week.

So now the campaign is online, i'm gonna start to translate it in english.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Better solution then might be to use more powerful editor, like notepad++, which has wml syntax highlighter viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44392.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Better solution then might be to use more powerful editor, like notepad++, which has wml syntax highlighter viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44392.
Great i'm gonna use this one from now. Thanks

The campaign objectives are now in english. Even if the dialogs are still in french, anyone can play. I expect to make a full dialog english version before one week.
MiddleTwin

Post by MiddleTwin »

I expect to make a full dialog english version before one week.
Cool. I'm interested to see how another short goblin campaign works. I'll probably try yours once the translation is posted.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

The campaign is in english now !

I'm warning you again, I'm french, i don't speak perfect english ! Excuse me about any mistake you will find in dialogs. If someone is interested to help, you are welcome.

The latest text in french language are the stories (story.txt) between levels (except main introduction). Sorry for that. It will change soon.
But once again, dialogs and objectives are now in english.

I deleted the french version, i'm working on a .MO to add the french version in translations file as soon as possible.

Even if i edited the first post of this subject, i want to say again :

Except balance and testing, some fixes are needed :
-Improve the text in a more lyric style (especially stories between levels, for both english and french version)
-Correct the mistakes in the english version
-Correct minor bug with dialogs (especially lvl 2 and lvl 4)
-Replace or delete pictures of story parts in order to reduce the size of the campaign.

Thanks again for reading me and don't hesitate to give me ideas and feedback, i want to improve this campaign.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

I realized that the link between Goblin Bladesman (lvl0) and Goblin Swordsman (lvl1) was bugged and that the evolution was making the game crash. Also, the ellipse wasn't working around the goblin bladesman.

It's now fixed and server updated.
Attachments
goblins - AGA.png
goblins - AGA.png (8.2 KiB) Viewed 9069 times
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Another bug detected about recruit. Corrected and updated.
Spoiler:
I corrected also some code mistakes i made about dialogs and gold in lvl 1 and 3.
MiddleTwin

Post by MiddleTwin »

Hello: I played the first scenario and have a couple of comments:
Spoiler:
Attachments
storytxt.cfg
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Hi Middletwin, thanks for your feedback.

I modified the triggers, normally it should be better like this.
Spoiler:
And thank you for your corrected story.cfg, like i said i don't speak good english and i need help about text. What you did is very nice.

I updated the server.

About the goblins units you right. They are too similar with the existing units. I added more HP to bladesman and swordsman. In the other hand, i decreased their strenght and deleted the first strike. I changed also the cost of the swordsman, from 13 to 14 (but i don't know if concerning this last point it is judicious. The Rouser is 13 and he have Leadership).

EDIT: I let the swordsman at 13 finally.

I think it's a good direction for these units, but it's the first time i create units. I need advices.

Bladesman :

hitpoints=22
    movement_type=orcishfoot
    movement=5
    experience=18
    level=0
    advances_to=AGA Goblin Swordsman
    cost=9
    [attack]
        name=sword
        description=_"sword"
        icon=attacks/sword-orcish.png
        type=blade
        range=melee
        damage=5
        number=3
    [/attack]
Swordsman :

hitpoints=30
    movement_type=orcishfoot
    movement=5
    experience=50
    level=1
    cost=13
    [attack]
        name=sword
        description=_"sword"
        icon=attacks/sword-orcish.png
        type=blade
        range=melee
        damage=7
        number=3
    [/attack]
In order to compare with the mainline goblins:
Spearman

hitpoints=18
    movement_type=orcishfoot
    movement=5
    experience=18
    level=0
    advances_to=Goblin Impaler,Goblin Rouser
    cost=9
    [attack]
        name=spear
        description=_"spear"
        type=pierce
        range=melee
        damage=6
        number=3
        icon=attacks/spear-orcish.png
    [/attack]
    [attack]
        name=spear
        description=_"spear"
        type=pierce
        range=ranged
        damage=3
        number=1
        icon=attacks/javelin-orcish.png
    [/attack]
Rouser

hitpoints=31
    movement_type=orcishfoot
    movement=5
    experience=50
    level=1
    advances_to=null
    cost=13
    [abilities]
        {ABILITY_LEADERSHIP_LEVEL_1}
    [/abilities]
    [attack]
        name=spear
        description=_"spear"
        type=pierce
        range=melee
        damage=7
        number=3
    [/attack]
Impaler :

hitpoints=26
    movement_type=orcishfoot
    movement=5
    experience=50
    level=1
    alignment=chaotic
    advances_to=null
    {AMLA_DEFAULT}
    cost=13
    [attack]
        name=spear
        description=_"spear"
        type=pierce
        range=melee
        damage=8
        number=3
        [specials]
            {WEAPON_SPECIAL_FIRSTSTRIKE}
        [/specials]
    [/attack]
    [attack]
        name=spear
        description=_"spear"
        type=pierce
        range=ranged
        damage=5
        number=1
        icon=attacks/javelin-orcish.png
    [/attack]
MiddleTwin

Post by MiddleTwin »

Hello:
Currently your swordsmen are just rousers without leadership.

Also:
I'm not great at balancing units, either (you can look at TGR's stabber line to verify this claim). That said, I think some good general principles to start with are determining the maximum damage of an attack, and computing a unit's EHP based on its actual hp, defense modifier, and resistances.
Spoiler:
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Currently your swordsmen are just rousers without leadership.
Yep you right. I'm probably gonna add a blade resistance and re-check all my units.
I'm not great at balancing units, either (you can look at TGR's stabber line to verify this claim).
EHP provides a useful way of thinking. Also, it lets me compare unit's EHP directly to other unit's EHP, which is handy.
Thank you for your advices, it's very complete and useful.
In addition of this goblin campaign, i created some trolls for my other campaign and i have the same issue about balancing units.
But you gave a trail to follow. I'm gonna make some changes about all my units.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Hello again Wesnoth community !

I just published "A Goblin Adventure" on Wesnoth 1.14.7
I didn't followed the evolution of wesnoth since one year and didn't upgrade my campaign.

So, i finished to translate all french text to english. I corrected few bugs.

Now, i need your help about two things ;

1) Feedback about balance (i'm especially wondering about income, money and number of turns)

2) I'm still french (yes ^^) and my english is poor. I would appreciate some advices to improve my text.
The fact that goblins have poor language is not a big deal. Well... They are goblins. But i'm concerned about the story text between each level and dialogs belonging to human characters.

And, overall, i would be very happy to have comments about the story, the bugs, the characters etc... :D :D :D

Apart from this, i'm still working about my custom units features (HP, rules...)
Furthermore, i'm working about develop the story itself (i speak in a literary way).

Thanks for reading. Hope you will enjoy and have fun with my goblins !