Journey Into the Dwarven Roots (Campaign for 1.16.x)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ashmyr

Re: Dwarvish Kingdom (Campaign for 1.14.x)

Post by Ashmyr »

Mirion147 wrote: May 7th, 2021, 6:28 am Okay, so I did a full play through and I have some notes on multiple aspects of the campaign. Keep in mind that I went rather in-depth, but am no expert on anything so this could be ignored without incident :P :
Spoiler:
That's fair, I can fix that.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I apologize for how chaotic my thoughts are but I wanted to post them while I had the time. So they are not very refined/organized. :whistle:
That's alright. I greatly appreciate the input.

Edit: the last sentence to my response on the Arolmar part of him knowing a lot about the tunnels.
Edit: Added a comma and removed a typo "1".
Last edited by Ashmyr on October 16th, 2022, 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Ashmyr wrote: May 7th, 2021, 7:09 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Mirion147 wrote: May 7th, 2021, 10:45 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Ashmyr wrote: May 7th, 2021, 11:49 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I'll give him enough health to survive barely more than four hits from the serpent. Hope that'll fix it.
The present value is fine. Adding more just ruins the challenge of it. If I rescued and got that Troll got levelled on hard, people can do it on lower difficulties.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
egallager

Post by egallager »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:52 am
I'll give him enough health to survive barely more than four hits from the serpent. Hope that'll fix it.
The present value is fine. Adding more just ruins the challenge of it. If I rescued and got that Troll got levelled on hard, people can do it on lower difficulties.
Maybe a case for adding more variance with the {ON_DIFFICULTY} macro? If I'm playing on a lower difficulty, I don't care about challenge being ruined.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

I am working on the next few scenarios, namely "Troll Domain" and "Liberation of Marne".

I can probably punch the code out in a day or so, though playtesting a few times does take a few hours. My dialogue reviser is also unavailable or busy on many days so an update is delayed but in the meantime, I'll code the following changes for version 0.0.4. I want this next update to be a big one so I've separated it into a few sections.
General/Dialogue/Characters
- Add story screens between each mission fleshing out Dulotmos more.
- I don't think I can but see if I can make the dimensions of the tomb guardians in S2 smaller. I really doubt this but maybe? I'll see what I can do.
him referencing the now-Drake Temple.
- Implement Music changes suggested to me from someone on Discord. Should correct my code.
- Possibly change the name of the scenarios to 00, 01, 02, 03 so the numbers are actual combat scenarios.
Scenario 1: Foreboding News
- Edit Mardon's first line of dialogue in S1.
Scenario 2: Burial Chamber
- Perhaps explain that the *buildings* is what is inhabited by priests in S2? Possible dialogue change there.
- Raise income for raider leader in S2
- Implement a gold increase when you spot the raider leader in S2.
Scenario 3: Feral Tunnels
- Change the wording describing the outpost in S3
- Give the troll more health on easier difficulties.
- Implement an extra village in S3 on EASY.
- Add a begrudging message from Dulotmos if you save Garug (he does reference Gegran, which is a name I just kind of made up for a Dwarf diety, so it is more like "For god's sake!")
Scenario 4: Caverns of Flame
- Consider a scenario rename.
- Add many light rays to S4.
- Name the three level 2 guardians of side 3 "Temple Guardian"
- Restrict the movement of both allied leaders
- Make it so the allied leaders do not share shroud -- I want the player to go into the fight blind.
- Change dialogue in S4 upon sighting the enemies.
- Dialogue change for the drake commander reference in opening dialogue of S4.
- Raise income for Trolls in S4
- Lower income for Drakes in S4
- Give the trolls more guards in S4 but make the Clasher and Fighter of the Drake General not guardians.
In the meantime, thank you so much for the suggestions and input. I will try my best to respond to comments on the scenarios or on the changes listed above while I work on the new update.

Somewhat unrelated note. When I work on my files in my file editor, it all looks nice and lined up to me but when I open it in my TXT file application the formatting is all screwed up. I don't know why it shows as misaligned to other people or on other applications, but on the coding file explorer I use...it looks straight. I'll see what I can do about that.

I'm happy with how all of this has turned out so far, and I'm pleased with what I have done. Hope to get the next update out by Wednesday or Thursday. :)
Novice campaign creator.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

When I work on my files in my file editor, it all looks nice and lined up to me but when I open it in my TXT file application the formatting is all screwed up. I don't know why it shows as misaligned to other people or on other applications, but on the coding file explorer I use...it looks straight. I'll see what I can do about that.
Use VS Code Editor / Sublime Text3 / Kate Text Editor with WML to solve this issue.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
egallager

Post by egallager »

I use MacVim with WML personally...
egallager

Post by egallager »

Some general copyediting remarks:
  • There are 3 periods in an ellipsis, not 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis
  • Generally an ellipsis gets a space either before or in front of it, depending on whether it represents a sentence trailing off, or a new sentence being led into after a pause... for example, I just did the former there.
  • If you have two parts of a sentence separated by a comma, and each part of the sentence could stand as an independent sentence on its own, consider replacing the comma with a semicolon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon
  • More commas are generally helpful for breaking up run-ons, too.
  • Run wmlindent. Please.
So yeah those are my minor text nitpicks; I can do them in the form of a pull request on GitHub if that would be helpful.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

I suppose I should revise the grammar, I am trying to work on the dialogue.

I'm not sure how to run wmlindent, if you could tell me how or do it yourself that would be very helpful.
Novice campaign creator.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Ashmyr wrote: May 14th, 2021, 7:28 pm I suppose I should revise the grammar, I am trying to work on the dialogue.

I'm not sure how to run wmlindent, if you could tell me how or do it yourself that would be very helpful.
I can do it myself if you put the sources on GitHub so I can do it as a pull request
egallager

Post by egallager »

Scenario 3 is kinda bottleneck-y... I see in the comments of the scenario's code that this is intentional for the tunnel with spiders, but, I mean, that to me seems to say that that's the ONLY spot where it's intentional, correct?
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Correct. I should fix that. The bottlenecks at the beginning are for lore reasons. Arolmar mentions bridge (singular) leading over the chasm, and the collapse of the mine wall to a tunnel I pictured as being relatively small, a short tunnel which connects the two, rather than the mine leading into a large chamber.
Novice campaign creator.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Hello. It's been a while, haha.

I am doing a quick update soon, it should contain a few changes. Mostly just formatting and some TODOs in several files, and some minor changes to dialogue and stats. I might decrease gold in S1 but I think it's fine as-is.

I'm thinking of axing the Dwarvish Mage, though I also don't want to screw up save files. For now I'll keep it.

I will try to make the Liberation of Marne scenario soon, but before that I think I should do some balancing, and add images for the first two scenarios..the Go-to symbol used in HttT is a great example but feels out-of-place. If anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate that.

I apologize how long it took me, but I had life stuff to do. I should have an update out by Christmas though! :)
Novice campaign creator.