Development of the Wesnoth map editor: suggestions please

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

I think we could lose the buttons "Draw", "Flood", "Start Position" and "Paste", which all rather belong in your toolbar (and which would allow the problem with really long German translations to be sidestepped). Then you could move the toolbar to where the buttons are currently.

If you haven't added some translatable tooltips for the toolbar buttons, please do so.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Morloth
Inactive Developer

Post by Morloth »

I think we could lose the buttons "Draw", "Flood", "Start Position" and "Paste", which all rather belong in your toolbar (and which would allow the problem with really long German translations to be sidestepped). Then you could move the toolbar to where the buttons are currently.
Done, although I need better art work (I suck at GIMP :P).

Bug #13652 and bug #13660 are fixed thanks to Freim!

Here is a screenshot of the result:
http://ridde324.speed.planet.nl/images/ ... editor.jpg

The art of the icons will be redone, mind you :).
steaky

Post by steaky »

I was really looking forward to creating my own campaign, when I got to the map editor. It's too complicated at the moment, I'm not interested in learning a whole new programming language at the moment.
I still tried everything that didn't require any knowledge, and heres what I'm looking for.

Basically, a version that's idiot friendly, like the starcraft or even warcraft map editors.

It would be really nice, if for making characters, or special enemies, if you could edit their stats. In my campaign in particular, you would play as a hero with god-like strength, and in the first few levels you'd be tearing apart demons. I don't need to go into details.

Ideally I'd like to be able to select an icon for my hero, and put in his name and stats, as opposed to him being a normal troop with a name and leadership.

Also, I don't understand how you use the different map pieces to make the forts and how the game recognizes those pieces of land as special areas where your heros can recruit.

Less confusing event creation and management

Bugs?
When I tried creating a Condition for Defeat, it erased my condition for victory.
I figured the text field thing out on my own.

I can't think of anything more now, but I'll futz with it some more tomorrow.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

From what you've said, I think you're talking about the MacOS scenario editor. It is different and distinct from the map editor. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
steaky

Post by steaky »

I didn't know there was anything other than the scenario editor >.>
sanna

Post by sanna »

The new buttons look fantastic, but I am having problems with their layout.
Running the editor in windowed mode on a 12" screen at 1024x768 (osx 10.3.9) (log output: setting mode to 975x724) some of the buttons end up outside the window. Setting preferences to full screen, and they line up nicely as they should.

EDIT: Hm, right now I am having problems uploading the screen dump I made...
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

There is no problem for me using mac osx 10.4.2 and the commandline build of the editor. It is started windowed and the terminal say "setting mode to 1024x689". With this i can see the complete editor.
I think a screenshot would be really nice, as soon as you can post it.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

sanna wrote:The new buttons look fantastic, but I am having problems with their layout.
Running the editor in windowed mode on a 12" screen at 1024x768 (osx 10.3.9) (log output: setting mode to 975x724) some of the buttons end up outside the window. Setting preferences to full screen, and they line up nicely as they should.

EDIT: Hm, right now I am having problems uploading the screen dump I made...
Hmm, yes I see it now that I test it in lower resolution. When I placed them I was thinking they where relative to the rest, but when I thing about it they might have been fixed. I'll look into it tomorrow.

EDIT: ok, it sees like "xanchor=fixed" has to be changed to "xanchor=right" for the toolbar entries in the editor theme file.
Morloth
Inactive Developer

Post by Morloth »

ok, it sees like "xanchor=fixed" has to be changed to "xanchor=right" for the toolbar entries in the editor theme file.
Freim was right, it's fixed in the CVS so it should work properly now. Sorry everybody for this bug...

* Update!
- I've added tooltips to the buttons in the toolbar so you can see what they actualy do. Pretty nice, see the following screenshot for a tooltip in action.
- Next I've added a title to the editor frame, it now reads Battle for Wesnoth Map Editor.

More comming up :D

- Bram
Morloth
Inactive Developer

Post by Morloth »

Hi there! I'm currently leaving for Sweden and will stay there in the forests and marches for 10 days, so I'm afraid the work on the editor will be stalled till I'm back (not sure if anyone else is going to take over for the time being...as far as I know no one is...).

Sorry for the convenience, but I'll be back soon (perhaps with pictures, even :)). In the meantime, keep posting suggestions, I'll look into them later!!!

Cya! :)

- Bram
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I posted this in an other thread, but it may be better to post ir here (maybe it has already been said, I don't know):

It would be good if the map editor was integrated to the scenario editor so you can put special objects (like potions, sculptures, monoliths, temples...) directly on the map.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

The problem is that the scenario editor is completely made by Sithradel and not integrated with the normal Wesnoth, because it uses a mac specific library. Including the Editor in the mac build (maybe even in the scenario editor) depends on Sithradel doing this job. If he does so, it is in, if not it is not.
NeoPhile

Prefs

Post by NeoPhile »

I think the map editor preferences should be distinct from those of the game itself. If I change the editor to windowed mode, the next time I play wesnoth, the game is also in windowed mode. I end up changing prefs alot more than I should have to.
Morloth
Inactive Developer

Post by Morloth »

I think the map editor preferences should be distinct from those of the game itself. If I change the editor to windowed mode, the next time I play wesnoth, the game is also in windowed mode. I end up changing prefs alot more than I should have to.
I would like to have that too, but at the moment the game and the editor uses the same preferences. I'm already working out a design to loosen the relationship between the game and the editor so I can make furder improvements. At the moment we are all focusing on the 1.0 release so don't expect any new features pre-1.0. If everything goes well I'll intoduce a new design for the 2.0 release which will make the development much easier and the editor more powerfull :).

Fixed bug #13855

- Bram