Developer endorsed campaign pack

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Developer endorsed campaign pack

Post by Dave »

After the release of 1.0, I would like to make a release of a new content item: a package containing campaigns and other additional content that is endorsed by the Wesnoth development team.

The package would be available on our web site, and we would advise packagers for various platforms about the package, and suggest that they make a version for their platform.

The purpose of this is so that users may easily get quality content, that they know is endorsed by the Wesnoth developers, and will work nicely on their 1.0.x version of the game. The campaign server is fairly nice, but is often somewhat of a 'hit or miss' approach to getting content.

There will be a few requirements for content:

- it must be licensed under the GPL or a GPL-compatible license
- it must be complete. For instance, if it is a campaign, it must go from start to end, without feeling unfinished or incomplete.
- it must be deemed to fit in well with the world of Wesnoth
- it must not contain any vulgar or obscene content
- it must work well with Wesnoth 1.0, and not contain any WML which causes the engine performance or stability problems
- the developers must decide they like it

I suggest that campaign authors who are interested in having their campaigns included in this content pack start working toward it now. The best campaigns from the pack may also be included in future releases of the game itself.

Part of the reason for this initiative is to try to encourage campaign authors to publish quality, complete works, rather than leaving things incomplete and buggy

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Disto

Post by Disto »

I have no ideas of how to finish my campaign and no body seems interested in it, or giving me any so i don't think i'll bother.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Disto wrote:I have no ideas of how to finish my campaign and no body seems interested in it, or giving me any so i don't think i'll bother.
Hey, chear up Disto! I haven't played it through yet but I am working on it. I'll let you know what I think when you are done. Remember, not everyone who plays the game surfs the fourms. I didn't when I first started! The only reason why I did was because i was stuck on Test of the Clans (I think eveyrone has at one point).

Anyhow, not to get off topic here, but I was aiming from the start to get my campaign released offically. I still have a ways to go but at least it's compleate now :-)
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I guess that means I should go back to working on Saving Elensefar, then... the Sceptre of Fire campaign is basically completed, but since it contradicts Wesnothian history I doubt it will be able to get in the campaign pack. :(
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

*rises hand*
i want imperial era in this pack
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Its not complete yet, though. We're still working on writing descriptions for the Aragwaithi and animating most of the Lavinians and Marauders.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
dtw

Post by dtw »

This is a great idea and I assure you our distro will support it as soon as it is avialable
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote: the Sceptre of Fire campaign is basically completed, but since it contradicts Wesnothian history I doubt it will be able to get in the campaign pack. :(
Actually I don't think we would reject the campaign for that reason -- it's a rather petty reason to reject a campaign that is otherwise fun, interesting, and incomplete, imo.

I'd much rather work with campaign authors to get a consistent Wesnoth history than to go around rejecting campaigns because we don't think their historical narrative fits.

I'd like to see both Sceptre of Fire and Saving Elensefar in the content pack, if possible. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I wish I could apply, but with the computer problems mentioned in OT, I'll probably be pretty close to hog-tied for a month.

When will this endorsed campaign pack be released? And if I miss the first release, will it be updated?
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

MadMax wrote: When will this endorsed campaign pack be released?
Probably whenever we have at least three campaigns ready to go in it.
MadMax wrote: And if I miss the first release, will it be updated?
Yes.
pacho

Post by pacho »

I will make a tarball with all the campaigns like I have explained at: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6701

Now, I´m using a tarball with campaigns downloaded at 26-8-05, but I will update it soon, and the tarball will be released ;)
scott

Re: Developer endorsed campaign pack

Post by scott »

Dave wrote:I suggest that campaign authors who are interested in having their campaigns included in this content pack start working toward it now.
I'm interested. I didn't know we had to apply, but mine meets the first 4 criteria and probably the 5th.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

This is a great idea Dave. I hope it gets lot of campaign developers to brush off their old campaigns and finish them. It's a good motivation tool for developers and nice way that players can easily download a set of quality campaigns. I'm looking forward completing UTBS so that it can hopefully be included in such a campaign pack.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

how does this interact with Wescamp ??

I think that it should be mendatory that the campaign be in wescamp (preferably string freezed for some time) so that translators can get a head start before it's in the campaign pack
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
rezaf

Re: Developer endorsed campaign pack

Post by rezaf »

Dave wrote:- it must be complete. For instance, if it is a campaign, it must go from start to end, without feeling unfinished or incomplete.
Don't at least two of the official campaigns violate this rule? The orc campaign is even dubbed "Chapter 1" or something, and the Necromancer campaign just stops all of a sudden without further notice.
From what I understand, none of the two is even actually worked upon any longer...
rezaf

"This pisses me off!"
Urinal, the Elvish Marshal