Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

All new Time of Day Pictures

Post by Sangel »

I put these together this evening. What do you think?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

And a few more...
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

They are really beautiful, but I'm not sure. It's a difference between really beautiful photos, and hand drawn pictures. All the other graphics we have in Wesnoth are hand drawn, these look like stunning photos and I just think the style might clash a bit.

Edit: i just read turin's post in underground status picture. Obviously it is unfair to expect you to redo all the artwork in wesnoth, so that you don't clash with the other styles. However I didn't think your underground pictures looked as much like photos as these do (perhaps becuase they were so dark). Maybe if each picture was of the same landscape at different times of the day it might help, right now it looks like a montage of really beautiful photos.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I agree, the underground pics (particularly the first one) do look more cartoony than the others, and should fit in fine. On the other hand, I'm not sure that having a photogenic image in the upper-right would clash with the graphics in any serious way. After all, they aren't really photo-detail.

Perhaps if someone with webhosting were to insert them and take some photographs of them in play, we could judge them better. Come to think of it, I think I have webhosting somewhere... *Searches*
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I also am dubious. I tend to be sympathetic toward Eponymous Archon's point of view -- he has been asking for time-of-day images that look less 'realistic'/attractive and more clearly day/night (i.e. just a large sun or moon).

These images look more attractive, but less clear. I tend to like the current ones.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

OK, here are a couple of in-game pictures:

Circon

Post by Circon »

Mmm, yeah, slighlty too photographic. Very nice pictures though...

Even if they don't make it, I feel that this (and perhaps those new mage icons) should be in a "modpack" that changes some graphic aspects of wesnoth.
miyo

Post by miyo »

I like the old less photographic daytime images. These images just don't fit the cartoony look and feel of Wesnoth.

- Miyo
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The people have spoken - Cartoony it is! Though I'll probably use the images myself.

That's what I love about Wesnoth. If you don't like an aspect of the game, it's simple to change it.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I agree, these are great but don't fit. I think everything in the GUI should be a easy to read symbol first and a pretty graphic second.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

However I think we should still keep the underground images. They're more cartoony, and it is very cool to not have it always be night when you are underground.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Wesnoth has support for themes, is time of day one of the themeable parts because I think those images would make an excellent addition to a secondary theme.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

I'd go wholeheatedly with the theming. I love the pics and whilst they are not cartoony enough for Heir To The Throne they might fit a future campaign. The also have a cooler, more aloof feel which might fit in with some campaign philosophies :D