Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ZIM

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by ZIM »

doofus-01 wrote: Thanks guys.
ZIM wrote:Maybe you could also try to make the ruined version of elvish castle?
Like a razed castle, or like an old castle "returning to nature"? :hmm:
Maybe both? Something like a ruined castle that have been outgrow by wild plants from a forgotten elvish colony?
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Abandoned looking castle that walls got overgrown with vines, its garden like tiles distorted due to overgrowth, and the tall structures looking naturally damaged, partially crumbled due to disrepair probably would work best for ruined elvish castle.

An classical idea for an undead castle is in the shape of an cemetery, with the keep being an crypt, mausoleum or sepulchre-like structure. I remember that ages ago someone attempted to draw one alas but that never got finished. Even if it was finished, would not have been of use since graphical style of wesnoth changed entirely since then.

Ah, lest i forget: Does the elvish castle have snow variation yet ? It may need to be drawn too.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I think that a ruined and snow elvish castle would look nice, but as doofus01 pointed out they might not have that much use because undead probably would use the normal ruined castle and elves often live in warmer places without snow. But despite that if doofus01 is interested in making these castle variants I certainly will not object because I am a strong advocate of making maps look realistic and their would be less need for elves in human castles if this was done. :D

Also I am wondering, in past versions (perhaps 1.10) was there not an option to insert forest covered Hills? Recently I looked for that option in the editor but was unable to find it. I do recognise it has been some time since I used forest covered hills so perhaps it has been removed?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

The_Gnat wrote:Also I am wondering, in past versions (perhaps 1.10) was there not an option to insert forest covered Hills?
Select forest, then hold Shift while you click on the hills. Shift preserves the base layer, so now you can put a forest on any base terrain, not just hills. Other overlay terrains work like this too: villages, bridges, great tree, beam of light, etc.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Maybe there will be an "overgrown ruins" version of the elf castle some day, I'm not sure.

In the meantime, I've closed the earlier stone tiles PR and opened a new one:
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/1939
screenshot
light-flagstones2_shot.jpg
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

In my personal opinion, every castle except for the desert, sea, and cave (dwarf) castles could use a snow-covered variant. Elves and orcs in particular. Ruined versions of each castle would also be nice - a ruined dwarvish keep, overgrown elvish castle, half-destroyed orcish castle, decaying desert castle half-filled with sand...

The stone floor looks pretty nice!
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

beetlenaut wrote:
The_Gnat wrote:Also I am wondering, in past versions (perhaps 1.10) was there not an option to insert forest covered Hills?
Select forest, then hold Shift while you click on the hills. Shift preserves the base layer, so now you can put a forest on any base terrain, not just hills. Other overlay terrains work like this too: villages, bridges, great tree, beam of light, etc.
Okay thank you very much, that is great to know! :D
Doofus-01 wrote:In the meantime, I've closed the earlier stone tiles PR and opened a new one:
Great! This could be really useful for cities, pathways, or if UMC creators want to create 'indoor' environments (as i have seen quite a few have done). :D
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Looks way too modern currently, the earlier captured medieval feeling nicely incorporating stones of varying sizes.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

I think the stone tiles look very neat. It goes well with the prison cell walls and they would certainly go well with a throneroom, too. Cool stuff!

On a sidenote: Is there a chance to get the stony troll encampment you did some years ago into the game? It'd be awesome to have some more natural encampments. Also they would certainly fit well with that mainline troll valley scenario in AOI.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Seconding the notion of including the troll camp, the only thing it would possibly need is an improved keep tile. The new keep tile would have slight elevation so its sort of an podium, surrounded by an stonehenge broken in the front so can see the leader unobstructed. Would have to resemble less of an inactive magic gateway but more of an stonehenge.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for the encouragement on the stone tiles.
stone tiles
As for them looking too modern, I have an update that fixes some of the transitions and adds a bit of chaos to the pattern. I think it's in a usable state, though some of the terrain-graphics rules need adjustment.
screenshot:
Castles
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:In my personal opinion, every castle except for the desert, sea, and cave (dwarf) castles could use a snow-covered variant. Elves and orcs in particular. Ruined versions of each castle would also be nice - a ruined dwarvish keep, overgrown elvish castle, half-destroyed orcish castle, decaying desert castle half-filled with sand...
There is a snow-covered orc castle, though no snowy elf castle. There is already a ruined desert castle, are you saying it's not ruined enough? I was using the default castle and its ruined version as a guide at the time.
Kwandulin wrote:On a sidenote: Is there a chance to get the stony troll encampment you did some years ago into the game? It'd be awesome to have some more natural encampments. Also they would certainly fit well with that mainline troll valley scenario in AOI.
Eagle_11 wrote:The new keep tile would have slight elevation so its sort of an podium, surrounded by an stonehenge broken in the front so can see the leader unobstructed. Would have to resemble less of an inactive magic gateway but more of an stonehenge.
I suppose I could move the troll camp I currently have in Archaic Resources to a PR and we could see what happens. The current "keep" is a bit lazily done, I'd need to come up with something better first. I'd like to keep it more like the standard encampment, where the keep is just a simple overlay. Big, wonderful, Stonehenge-like, tower keeps are a much bigger commitment. Either way, like the tall encampment-keeps show, the simple overlay keeps don't prevent tower keeps from being added later.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

doofus-01 wrote:There is a snow-covered orc castle, though no snowy elf castle. There is already a ruined desert castle, are you saying it's not ruined enough? I was using the default castle and its ruined version as a guide at the time.
I was kind of speaking without much regard for what already existed, but admittedly I also forgot the ruined sand castle existed (or possibly never knew, who knows). I do think a desert castle should have sand drifting in, almost like windblown snow except it's sand. I can't really tell just from the image files whether the existing one does this; maybe I'll look at it in-game later.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I was kind of speaking without much regard for what already existed, but admittedly I also forgot the ruined sand castle existed (or possibly never knew, who knows). I do think a desert castle should have sand drifting in, almost like windblown snow except it's sand. I can't really tell just from the image files whether the existing one does this; maybe I'll look at it in-game later.
No disrespect intended to anyone involved but personally i do not really like the normal sand castle. It looks more like made of clay or something like that and does not really fit into the desert scenery (i think partly because of its background which looks to clean and like a cobbled road), but the ruined version is not bad looks a little more like it is actually in the desert. Perhaps would could have an alternate stone-desert castle that is made in a similar style to the really awesome desert mountains that were added in 1.13! :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Here is a quick edit of the mountains to create a image of what i visualize the rocky castle might look like:
keep-tile.png
keep-tile.png (17.71 KiB) Viewed 7035 times
This is just a brief franken-sprite of some mountains and is not at all game-quality, but the idea is that the rocky castle would be a close parallel to the desert mountains and would fit into the desert mountain scenery. Though it probably would have to have more obvious man-made design in it (currently it could be mistaken for a mountain and doesn't really look like someone built it)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

That doesn't really look like a castle at all to me, and if it was, I'd have to assume trolls (or I suppose maybe dwarves) lived in it. I think the existing desert castle is perfectly serviceable.