Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : ancient wose

Post by LordBob »

Do you mean that in the sense that it looks too smooth / not enough "scaly" ? Tree bark can be smooth, sometimes, plus since here I want the tree to have such a large scale that the details of its bark would be lost. Here's an example of that effect. On this other picture we see the irregularities of the bark a bit more, but they still remain secondary detail compared to the gnarled shapes of the ancient trunk. That is how I want the wose's trunk to feel ; let me know if I didn't achieve that effect.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I think your second image is a perfect target to imitate. In fact, looking more carefully your picture, you nailed that texture in the darker zones. I think it should extend a little more and cover half of wood surface under beard. Scales on wood are created because it becomes "dead skin" not longer irrigated by "blood" (dont know English word for it). It is on roots, who are still totally alive, where trees uses to lack scales, and in your current picture it looks to me that roots texture reach too high.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Ok, thanks for the comment, I'll see to improving that bark texture.

In the meantime I started on another portrait: the yeti
Attachments
monsters-yeti.jpg
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Yeti looks like it's off to a good start!

On the one hand, it would be interesting to see what you do with its face.

On the other hand, if this is Bigfoot/Sasquatch, should it maybe be blurry or streaked? Like the viewer is looking through glare, frost, and watery eyes, can't get a good look. Few lines and details, very big brush painterly, or something like that.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

doofus-01 wrote:Yeti looks like it's off to a good start!
On the other hand, if this is Bigfoot/Sasquatch, should it maybe be blurry or streaked? Like the viewer is looking through glare, frost, and watery eyes, can't get a good look. Few lines and details, very big brush painterly, or something like that.
I don't think it is a good idea. If someone wants a non-blurred Yeti then? It's a portrait, it must represent the unit clearly.
In the Rise of Wesnoth, Haldric and the orcs recognize immediately the Yetis for what they are. So the portrait should make that clear for us too.

LordBob, amazing work on these portraits! (I speak for all the portraits you've done since my last message in this topic; I follow but don't comment too much)
:D
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I didn't suggest it shouldn't be clear what it was, please don't put words in my mouth.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

So, I took my sweet time but finished both portraits.
Since they're units that rarely ever get any screen time and the portraits are rather complex, just this once I'm not going to bother with lines. So they can both be committed
Attachments
woses-ancient_wose.png
monsters-yeti.png
monsters-yeti.png (90.49 KiB) Viewed 7234 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Annnnd they're in :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Patch

Post by Patch »

Woah! I thought Christmas was in December!
Simply fantastic, good job.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : Nagas !

Post by LordBob »

Necromancyyyyyyy !

Royal warrior is done, my next batch will be Nagas. Commencing with a tentative Myrmidon, and a method I rarely use : this one is a derivative portrait. A patch that I slapped on top of the existing Myrmidon - which would then become the lv2 Warrior. It is not original artwork, but it can do the job if we're only looking to differentiate lv 2-3 units that previously shared a single portrait. I wanted to ease back into nagas with something easier than a full portrait, but because the image I'm basing it off isn't mine I kept edits to a minimum. Otherwise the difference between portraits can be made more perceptible by changing part of the pose, reworking a face, etc.

If there's a consensus that this method does work for us, I will use it more in future works.
Attachments
Naga-myrmidon.jpg
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

LordBob wrote: August 17th, 2020, 9:17 pm it can do the job if we're only looking to differentiate lv 2-3 units that previously shared a single portrait.
Yeah, as long as we already have two portraits, I think this is a fine way to get a third.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : Nagas

Post by LordBob »

Good :)

On my end, poses for the next portraits. Feedback welcome, I'm still not set on a given pose (nor the ranged weapon type for the Ophidian)
Attachments
naga-poses.jpg
Odium

Post by Odium »

My favorite poses are B/C, E and H
Nagas are I feel like the mercenaries and tribal counterpart of merfolk, so I like the b or c and h poses because of how agile and intimidating they look.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks for the feedback.

Taking a fun detour with nagas : since there isn't much material to base them on, I went ahead and did some weapons concepts for the Ringcaster and Warrior lines. Could serve for other nagas as well, but we don't have this many planned. Still I will probably also tackle armour and clothing before I commit to a full portrait. Will do something similar in the future for Dunefolk, it greatly helps fleshing out a faction.

Quick comment on the designs : I tried to focus on wavy shapes, snake decoraitons and the occasional scale shape so that they would blend in with what our nagas do have so far. I'm aware a few of them don't quite hit home - the longswords especially, they could be what nagas crafted for another race, or inspired after naga crafting. Only a couple will actually be used in portraits though, so it's fine.
Attachments
Wesnoth_Props_sheet.jpg
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I agree with Odium on the Naga poses. For the blade styles, I like the 5, 11, 17 serpentine types, 1 and 9 as well. 12-15 look like they'd be multipurpose, jungle commando tools.
LordBob wrote: August 17th, 2020, 9:17 pm If there's a consensus that this method does work for us, I will use it more in future works.
Like you were telling me about the scorpion, I think it would look better if the silhouette had more noticeable changes. :hmm: Otherwise, I've got nothing against the idea.