Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
vultraz
Developer

Re: LordBob's random stuff : wraith

Post by vultraz »

I definitely see the expression Dixie referred to. In my opinion, it gives him a bit of character other than generically brutal. I'd say keep it that way.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I also get the feeling that there is something odd about the troll. I think I don't really understand what he's doing with the tree: he's not really slapping it into his palm; he's not really gripping it. It's like he's holding it loosely while stroking it nervously or tenderly?

Sorry if I sound like an ass, I don't mean to say it's a bad image. It just looks like there is something unusual going on there.
EDIT: link to image in question, since this is a new(ish) page
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Heh, who knows, maybe trolls do have a caring relation to their clubs...They have feelings, too! :whistle:

In all seriousness, I agree that there is definitely something off. I did try to steer away from the "me big bad brute" cliche, but I certainly wasn't aiming for shiness either. Like Dixie said, I think it comes down to his lack of neck that reads as if he had his head tucked into his shoulders + sideways glance + the shape of his eyesockets.

Fortunately, this shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
SFault

Post by SFault »

Maybe it's just my eyes but the troll seems bit pale and flat. I think having more contrast and bit more darkness might look better on it's stony skin.

Needless to say, otherwise it's awesome.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

SFault wrote:Maybe it's just my eyes but the troll seems bit pale and flat. I think having more contrast and bit more darkness might look better on its stony skin.
It is lighter indeed than the other trolls, but I don't think that's a bad thing. If anything, I would rather edit the older portraits. The "flat" part puzzles me a bit though. Do you mean that as in "could have more skin details such as cracks and irregularities, or do you think the overall form does not read well enough ?
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Revised version. I didn't change much, but that should fix both the shy demeanour and relaxed grip
Attachments
trolls-troll_small.png
trolls-troll_small.png (27.07 KiB) Viewed 5884 times
trolls-troll.png
trolls-troll.png (107.44 KiB) Viewed 5885 times
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Great to have you back, LordBob! And these trolls are a massive improvement to their former portraits!

Actually, while the grim expression should suit most scenarios better, maybe we could keep the shy one as a variation?

The downscaled version for the help menu looks pixelated, but as you probably remember, it isn't necessary to provide it at all - the game can scale the original down by itself (and as you didn't crop the small version differently, there's no real reason not to rely on that feature).
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

aquileia wrote:Actually, while the grim expression should suit most scenarios better, maybe we could keep the shy one as a variation?
Sure, be my guest :)
Both versions are finished and can be committed whenever you want (I'd do it myself, but I currently don't have an up-to-date repository).
The downscaled version for the help menu looks pixelated, but as you probably remember, it isn't necessary to provide it at all - the game can scale the original down by itself
Oh, actually I didn't know the game could do that. That's great then, indeed use the game-generated one rather than my version - I didn't pay attention, there must have been a glitch when I scaled it down.

A quick sketch of the next portrait : we're still short of an Ancient Wose (the one portrait currently in the game was initially meant for the L1 wose and as such, I find him light-framed for what he supposedly stands for)
Attachments
woses-ancient_wose.jpg
SFault

Post by SFault »

With flatness I meant the low contrast. Compared to knight portrait the light and dark shades are quite near each other (not including the eyes). Anyways, I tried to fiddle with the contrast and I really couldn't get it too good. It becomes burned easily. And the club definitely doesn't like such histogram. Guess, it was my eyes after all...
Attachments
More dark
More dark
trollen.png (146.93 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I've committed the Troll and Troll Whelp portraits. If LordBob decides to fiddle with the contrast, I'll commit the revision.

That Wose is looking great! :D Question, though, the portrait we currently have is named ancient-wose.png, so should that actually be a regular Wose portrait, or will this be?
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

LordBob wrote:the one portrait currently in the game was initially meant for the L1 wose and as such, I find him light-framed for what he supposedly stands for
It never bothered me before, but now that you have pointed it out, I can't stop seeing the original one as young. This new one is looking a lot more ancient.
SFault wrote:Compared to knight portrait the light and dark shades are quite near each other
I think SFault has a point.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Could the troll whelp without the floor be considered for in-game use? It works well with other art like the saurian skirmisher.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : ancient wose

Post by LordBob »

Some progress on the ancient wose, it's closing completion. Not sure if and how I am going to add lines on this one.

I also tweaked the lighting on the troll, but only slightly - if anything, it's rather my old portraits that have exaggerated contrast and inconsistent lighting at times.

Last, here's the floorless troll whelp. I don't get how you plan to use it, either way be my guest :)
Attachments
woses-ancient_wose.jpg
trolls-troll.png
trolls-troll.png (107.08 KiB) Viewed 5432 times
trolls-troll_whelp_2.png
trolls-troll_whelp_2.png (57.21 KiB) Viewed 5432 times
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

I love the new ancient wose, especially the amber eyes!
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I love leaves and face of Wose, however (and sorry for give a "but" to such good work) I feel wood texture is too "fleshy". I am currently playing Minecraft, so to compesate my lack of vocabulary in english, it looks more precesed wood "planks" texture than "crude" logs texture.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II