Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Monsters!

Post by doofus-01 »

gweddeoran wrote: May 6th, 2019, 2:50 am Ummm, sorry to sound demanding, but you had a Cuttlefish portrait It would be a shame to see it consigned to irrelevance. You had suggested you needed a bit more work on it. Could you clean it up as well.
I figured I should catch you when you are busy working on portraits 😂
No problem, I included it in my PR #4061
EDIT:
That PR only has a blood bat for now, but I have a dread bat WIP. Trying to make it less "flying rat", more "flying coyote-monkey".
Attachments
bat3.jpg
bat3.jpg (23.84 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Great work with the Dread Bat, I can't wait to see the completed portrait. :D

On a side note, I was wondering if a few tweaks to certain portraits such as the Arch Mage (eg: golden lining on the robes and a different staff) along the lines of what LordBob did with the the Quenoth elves would be acceptable. If so, I could ask Kurumin to do something like that. Since he seemed to do a good job with the fencer's portrait.

In fact, what he did with that might fit well with units that reuse portraits across levels due to the lack of significant changes in appearance. This way, we could have unique portraits for several units without much effort but with distinct changes for each portrait.

I made a list of such units and asked since you seemed to have authority over this subject, moreso since the Art Directors are not active as much.
ghype

Post by ghype »

gweddeoran wrote: May 14th, 2019, 9:32 am On a side note, I was wondering if a few tweaks to certain portraits such as the Arch Mage (eg: golden lining on the robes and a different staff) along the lines of what LordBob did with the the Quenoth elves would be acceptable.
Why would those be necessary?
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

If you want to have a discussion regarding this subject, we could continue it elsewhere, since I have a feeling you won't be convinced easily. :hmm:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

doofus-01 wrote: May 12th, 2019, 4:12 am I have a dread bat WIP. Trying to make it less "flying rat", more "flying coyote-monkey"
Very nice!
gweddeoran wrote: May 14th, 2019, 9:32 am I could ask Kurumin to do something like that. Since he seemed to do a good job with the fencer's portrait.
Kurumin did do a good job with that, but as I told him, working on portraits that don't yet exist is a higher priority than upgrading ones that do. We have a whole faction with just one portrait between them for example.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

I presumed that that would involve a commission from someone like LordBob based on something vultraz said a while ago regarding NR.

Speaking with friends and others who play Wesnoth on other forums, the lack of unique portraits when levelling up stuck out to them like a sore thumb. Instead of starting something new, I think it would be cool to finish existing stuff. :)

Of course, these are just my two cents, you have clearly been in the forums and worked for the game longer than I have, and would know better. If I got you the wrong way, my bad. :?
ghype

Post by ghype »

gweddeoran wrote: May 14th, 2019, 10:00 am Speaking with friends and others who play Wesnoth on other forums, the lack of unique portraits when levelling up stuck out to them like a sore thumb. Instead of starting something new, I think it would be cool to finish existing stuff. :)
All the 10+ years i play this game, this fact became pretty much standart. So I assume there a bunch of people who are not bothered by this. And with the coming Dunefolk Update, the portraits would be much more welcome then new drake or elves portraits.
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Please read the first paragraph of my previous post. If LordBob starts a commit, he is always the one who does the whole thing. It's the way the Art Directors prefer it- one artist's vision for the entire project. Please read this post completely before replying.

From what I can see, Kurumin already has his hands full with your project and would likely not be able to do the Dunefolk entirely. Thus, I figured his skills could be better used in this project. We should try to look beyond personal interests and see how to best use each artist's abilities, more so since portrait artists can easily get burnt out with tough work (several examples can be seen, check past forum posts)

Giving then piecemeal projects that add value help them get a feel of the way portraits work as well as help them feel rewarded, akin to the way you start by frankensteining sprites and then move over to other stuff. :D

I hope I haven't rubbed you the wrong way. ;)
Last edited by Gweddeoran on May 14th, 2019, 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
ghype

Post by ghype »

I was just merely asking why you'd think some portraits need some rework. they seem perfectly fine.
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Not rework, new versions for the higher levels. Please read what I say carefully.
Also, just because something has become standard doesn't mean it's good. :)
DaleKershaw

Post by DaleKershaw »

doofus-01 wrote: May 12th, 2019, 4:12 am
gweddeoran wrote: May 6th, 2019, 2:50 am Ummm, sorry to sound demanding, but you had a Cuttlefish portrait It would be a shame to see it consigned to irrelevance. You had suggested you needed a bit more work on it. Could you clean it up as well.
I figured I should catch you when you are busy working on portraits 😂
No problem, I included it in my PR #4061
EDIT:
That PR only has a blood bat for now, but I have a dread bat WIP. Trying to make it less "flying rat", more "flying coyote-monkey".
Hey, this is a nice graphic. If you grant me the permission, I want to use it as my avatar in some of the forums.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

DaleKershaw wrote: January 18th, 2020, 10:27 am [...]

Hey, this is a nice graphic. If you grant me the permission, I want to use it as my avatar in some of the forums.
At least a down-scaled version certainly wouldn't be a problem for these forums. Probably OK for other forums too, as long as there is no clash with CC BY-SA 4.0 somehow.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

The Scorpion avatar fits better with the Giant Scorpling sprite. Since I haven't taken a pencil and a sheet since I finished middle school, I recommend you to draw a new avatar for the Giant Scorpion. Then, an avatar for the Fire Dragon, Fire Guardian and Skeletal Dragon. Then, regarding the bats, the Vampire Bat's avatar fits better with the Dread Bat, while the Blood Bat, for me, fits perfectly with its own sprite.