Monsters!

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ghype

Re: Monsters!

Post by ghype »

doofus-01 wrote: April 18th, 2019, 2:54 am This is an open-source project, but that offer does seem a little strange to me. Maybe I shouldn't have used a passive voice earlier. :hmm:
I am not portrait artist but I do know to use photoshop and that would be an easy, quick fix. I was just trying to speed up the process as I know art devs/contributors are more busy as their content just simply takes more time.

But if no help is needed, that's fine for me too.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

ghype wrote: April 18th, 2019, 6:38 am
doofus-01 wrote: April 18th, 2019, 2:54 am This is an open-source project, but that offer does seem a little strange to me. Maybe I shouldn't have used a passive voice earlier. :hmm:
I am not portrait artist but I do know to use photoshop and that would be an easy, quick fix. I was just trying to speed up the process as I know art devs/contributors are more busy as their content just simply takes more time.

But if no help is needed, that's fine for me too.
OK, no harm, no foul.

I got to work on these a bit more, I'll put them on github later, with whatever clean-ups strike me, unless there is anything else (the nose was a major problem, good catch).
Attachments
wolf-dark.png
wolf-dark.png (137.04 KiB) Viewed 5534 times
wolf-chewing.png
wolf-chewing.png (166.31 KiB) Viewed 5534 times
wolf-red.png
wolf-red.png (145.31 KiB) Viewed 5534 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Is the first one the direwolf, second the wolf, and the last the great wolf?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

FANTASTIC! xD @Doofus_01 Good wolf portraits have been long overdue, so it is with eager welcome that we get these new portraits! :D

(I particularly love the sinister look of the black wolf, very hostile and very badass 8) )
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, guys.
gweddeoran wrote: April 20th, 2019, 4:16 am Is the first one the direwolf, second the wolf, and the last the great wolf?
That did end up being the case. Ideally, there will be a couple more, one that looks more "great", for example.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I would much prefer to have the last one serve as the wolf (as well as great wolf for now) and the second one as an alternate. The second is very shaggy making it look human-bred or domesticated. Of course that is not necessarily the case in the Wesnoth universe, but looking up the "wolf" unit will still show something that we would tend to see as a dog. We associate dogs with being friendly, while wolves are usually attacking the player. It would be a good image to use if the unit was on the player's own side though, so it's a fine alternate.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

beetlenaut wrote: April 27th, 2019, 10:05 am e associate dogs with being friendly, while wolves are usually attacking the player. It would be a good image to use if the unit was on the player's own side though, so it's a fine alternate.
Yeah, that was something I had in mind at the time; wolves need "character" portraits. I'm working on a "great" wolf (and a zombie spider), this should all be resolved eventually.
Attachments
wolf-spider.jpg
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Wow, you're working fast! I tried to see how many mainline portraits you have done so far, but your name is not in the credits file in the portraits directory. It definitely ought to be!
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

beetlenaut wrote: April 28th, 2019, 6:15 am Wow, you're working fast! I tried to see how many mainline portraits you have done so far, but your name is not in the credits file in the portraits directory. It definitely ought to be!
Thanks. I think I'm just the zombies and the scorpion, for mainline. You've reminded me that I've been delinquent in updating change-logs.
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Doofus, if I'm not asking for too much, the current Giant Mudcrawler portrait is used for the Mudcrawler as well, and it doesn't suit the unit. It would be great if you do a quick portrait for that as well.
Keep up the great work! :)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

gweddeoran wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 4:11 am Doofus, if I'm not asking for too much, the current Giant Mudcrawler portrait is used for the Mudcrawler as well, and it doesn't suit the unit. It would be great if you do a quick portrait for that as well.
Keep up the great work! :)
Heck, why not? I'll see if I can get this finished soon.
mudcrawler.jpg
mudcrawler.jpg (27.29 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Back to the Great Wolf, I think this is almost there.
wolf-great.jpg
wolf-great.jpg (43.16 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Woah! :D

Despite fear of sounding repetitive I will say: Looking awesome! The great wolf looks very regal but also not so intimidating that he necessarily has to be a villian. :)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks.
The_Gnat wrote: May 5th, 2019, 7:31 am The great wolf looks very regal but also not so intimidating that he necessarily has to be a villian.
I figured any dialogue with a great wolf would probably be a goblin campaign or something similar. If it's really needed, I can make a more sinister great wolf too.
------------------
I haven't tried running master/1.15 in a long while, so I'm not making a PR yet, but this is pretty much the zombie spider image (might need to desaturate and increase contrast, but mostly finished):
Attachments
spider3.jpg
spider3.jpg (30.98 KiB) Viewed 4978 times
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Ummm, sorry to sound demanding, but you had a Cuttlefish portrait It would be a shame to see it consigned to irrelevance. You had suggested you needed a bit more work on it. Could you clean it up as well.
I figured I should catch you when you are busy working on portraits 😂
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

@doofus01 - "I figured any dialogue with a great wolf would probably be a goblin campaign or something similar. If it's really needed, I can make a more sinister great wolf too."

Yes, exactly, it is very well done because of that. And I doubt that a more sinister version is necessary, this one looks very good! xD