Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Zombies

Post by doofus-01 »

So, going with the "generic zombie carcasses" thing, would either of these work (surf & turf, still a bit WIP)?
zombie-slither.png
zombie-slither.png (3.45 KiB) Viewed 15498 times
zombie-crawler.png
zombie-crawler.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 15498 times
Of course the crawler doesn't look anything like a scorpion, for example, but I would still find it less odd than anything else the scorpion could currently become, including nothing. But maybe that's just me.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Going for a rider portrait, since it looks a bit odd to have the default zombie portrait filling in for the ones on horseback. It's a bit goofy, but it also makes some sense: The rider isn't actually in charge, the unit is a zombie horse with a plague-claw-wielding, rotting idiot on its back.
Attachments
Zombie-rider.jpg
Zombie-rider.jpg (32.01 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

It feels a bit weird that the rider is skilled enough to stay on without using the stirrups. Could you put the boot through the stirrup, so that it holds the rider by the top of the foot when they fall over the other side? On the other hand, if the stirrup was removed completely then I wouldn't have thought about it.

Other than that, I like the portrait.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

This will be nice to have!

I'm not worried about the foot in the stirrup. He does look like he's about to fall off, but that's a feature, not a bug IMO.

I do think it's odd that he has so little on though. All the horse-riding units have armor. Except for the elvish scout, they have lots of armor. I think he would have some of that left. If you don't want to do that, he could have (part of) a shield strapped to the back of his outstretched arm at least.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ghype

Post by ghype »

He really looks like he is falling from the horse though.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

beetlenaut wrote: May 27th, 2019, 1:36 pm I do think it's odd that he has so little on though. All the horse-riding units have armor.
The original rider may have been swapped for a lighter one.

The reins and bridle are bothering me - as the horse is the master then it would make more sense for its head and teeth to be free.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

beetlenaut wrote: May 27th, 2019, 1:36 pm He does look like he's about to fall off, but that's a feature, not a bug IMO.
Yep.

I added a little more armor, but didn't want it to look too unreasonable for an elf or something non-loyalist. I won't get to work on it more anytime soon, so I put it on github:
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/4095
octalot wrote: May 27th, 2019, 9:45 pm The reins and bridle are bothering me - as the horse is the master then it would make more sense for its head and teeth to be free.
I'm not sure either of them is really the master, in the end.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

So uh, is the horse a zombie too, or is it alive?

EDIT: Whoops, seems I missed the crucial word that answers the question. Never mind! Looks good in any case.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 29th, 2019, 3:09 am So uh, is the horse a zombie too, or is it alive?

EDIT: Whoops, seems I missed the crucial word that answers the question. Never mind! Looks good in any case.
It was still a good point, the horse looked too healthy. I think it's fixed now.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

If it is fixed, can you attach the portrait?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

EarthCake wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 5:16 pm If it is fixed, can you attach the portrait?
Oh, whoops.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wesno ... -rider.png
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Except for the humanoid Soulless, the other variants have the same avatar of their pre-evolutions... if someone is able to draw something, that would be fine.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

WIP for another variation that is supposed to cover the Quenoth Tauroch riders from UtBS, but not specific to them. I'm not sure what all this is supposed to cover, but I guess any humanoid riding a cow, ox, or yak - there are a few in UMC. Going for comical over gruesome, but the final version will have more grime overall.
Attachments
zombie-beastrider.jpg
zombie-beastrider.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 10174 times
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Love the attitude :lol:

You might want to make the zombification of the mount a little more obvious, I nearly missed these exposed ribs.
Shading isn't quite there yet, but that's a WiP so no further comment for now.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. This is the current version, and I'm going to commit it, but if there's something that needs revision it's no problem to update it.