Dunefolk Rework - Extra Units

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ghype

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Extra Units

Post by ghype »

Here are the concepts for the lv2 and lv3 SB. The lv3 spear tip needs a bit cleaning and both sprites are missing TC.
But other than that, they should be done.

Now I have to go to the lv1 and finish that one as well...
_shieldbreaker-lv2-5.png
_shieldbreaker-lv2-5.png (6.06 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
_shieldbreaker-lv3-10.png
_shieldbreaker-lv3-10.png (6.04 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

So here is the final set up of the shieldbreaker line. Finished the lv1 and tweaked the the lv2 and lv3.
This is the progress for this line. Not much left to do unless something bothers you, so please tell me if so, so I can add it to the list.

Skirmisher Lv1 - 7A
- bottom body needs work (legs, skirt, feet, …)
- hair + headwear needs improvements
- potentially remove leg pads
- TC missing

Strider Lv2 - 7B
- reducing size 1px or 2px
- clean up skirt and arms
- remove details belly
- arm/shield does not look 100% right
- potentially rework the entire skirt
- TC missing
- clean up the spear tip

Harrier Lv3 - 7C
- sprite entirely missing
- clean up the spear tip
- elongate staff
- fix shading on left shoe
- potentially rework the entire skirt
- TC missing

_shieldbreaker-49.png
_shieldbreaker-49.png (5.57 KiB) Viewed 4858 times

_shieldbreaker-lv2-7.png
_shieldbreaker-lv2-7.png (6.09 KiB) Viewed 4858 times

_shieldbreaker-lv3-12.png
_shieldbreaker-lv3-12.png (6.11 KiB) Viewed 4858 times

_shieldbreaker-lv3-12-comparison.png
_shieldbreaker-lv3-12-comparison.png (11.61 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
Last edited by ghype on May 22nd, 2019, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Lordlewis mentioned she kind of looks like buried under the cloth rather the wrapped so I provided a version without a face mask.
The old concept of her wearing the face mask at night and taking it back off at day still is a thing.

_shieldbreaker-50.png
_shieldbreaker-50.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

ghype wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 9:48 am The old concept of her wearing the face mask at night and taking it back off at day still is a thing.
I may have missed this in the lore threads, but how do you lore that? Wouldn't the sun be required during the day to protect the wearer from sunburns and sand particles in the air?

The headwear in your previous post looks fine to me, headwear, ear coverings and facemasks. The facemasks remind me of surgical facemasks, I'm not sure why. Maybe because of the shading or because of how it's pulled high on the nose.
ghype

Post by ghype »

josteph wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 11:58 am I may have missed this in the lore threads, but how do you lore that? Wouldn't the sun be required during the day to protect the wearer from sunburns and sand particles in the air?
Ok right that is a good point. We can do that the other way around or let her be masked all the time.
josteph wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 11:58 am Maybe because of the shading or because of how it's pulled high on the nose.
I took the face mask from the burner line, hence it should be ok design wise.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

Just chiming in to say that the whole Shieldbreaker line looks amazing :D
The only thing that's a bit off is lvl 3's feet but I can't put my finger on it.
ghype

Post by ghype »

thanks. I too wasn't sure about here legs, but I thought it was acceptable.
I will reconsider the shoes/leg position.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Caladbolg wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 2:15 pm The only thing that's a bit off is lvl 3's feet but I can't put my finger on it.
Hi Caladbolg, thanks for the feedback! :) I was the one who worked on the feet and I do agree with you. It isn't quite right.

I believe the problem is that his right foot is not facing outwards enough, his left foot doesn't seem appropriately shadowed by the spear, and his legs don't seem spread wide enough or maybe not large enough compared to his body (consider for example the level 2's feet).

Here is another attempt:
Attachments
Harrier.png
Harrier.png (3.33 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

I agree with you. your edit make it looks better.
I added the shadow which was missing in your version and corrected the shading too. There was an odd dark spot which broke the shading.

_shieldbreaker-lv3-14.png
_shieldbreaker-lv3-14.png (6 KiB) Viewed 4581 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: May 26th, 2019, 9:59 am I agree with you. your edit make it looks better.
I added the shadow which was missing in your version and corrected the shading too. There was an odd dark spot which broke the shading.

_shieldbreaker-lv3-14.png
Great! :) Yes I had left off the shadow so that you could make modifications if you wanted, but it wouldn't look very good in game ^_^
ghype

Post by ghype »

How about this solution?
I could potentially add a second chakram but I planned that for the lv3.

naga-lv2-chack-9.png
naga-lv2-chack-9.png (6.06 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Should the chakram be grasped by the naga rather than (it looks like) balanced on its fingertips?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ghype

Post by ghype »

Not necessarily balanced on the finger tips but rather hold with the thumb and index finger. Apparently you throw them like frisbee disks which cannot be done if you have firm grip with all 5 fingers.

A chakram hold with the entire hand is better for melee then ranged, something I would use for the lv3.

I will place the Chakram 1 px lower or use a different model ( a much thicker one) from an earlier version LordLewis did.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Rather than being grasped or balanced on the finger tips, to me it makes more sense for it to be looped around something, either the arm or the index finger. My understanding might be a little off, but I didn't think they were thrown precisely like frisbees, as the sharp outer edge would render that extremely dangerous; instead, they are spun about the arm or finger, then released at the correct moment. Don't take my word for it, mind you, as this is all just off the top of my head.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
ghype

Post by ghype »

This Video is the best demonstration of the use of a chakram I found online and is the one I keep referencing for the last months.

Yes, he does swing it around his finger and yes, there were noticeable documentations that they really were used liked that.
BUT, as you can see in the video, they guy who mastered the chakram does not actually through it like that. You can see him swing it around his finger but he never releases the chakram that way. He always and only throughs it just like a frisbee.

Reason for that is that you simply cannot bring up as much strenght and momentum with your finger to cut trough limbs and fatally wound someone by that. The only reason you would want to swing it around your finger is that you can easier feel/predict the tangential flying line and hence have raised accuracy.

I think the "swinging around the finger" was a technique taken over from the ancient tribal roots this weapon has, where no one wore armour but instead just some leafs or pelts for clothing - but has no actual use in greater warfare.