Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Extra Units

Post by artisticdude »

Hi there!

Really love what you've been doing here, been reading through this thread, and your artwork is consistently awesome!

Regarding the shieldbreaker line, if I may offer some critique, I see a few (albeit nitpicky) things that could be improved for the lvl 1:
  • The left (our left) leg is proportionately smaller than the right leg, and both legs have a bit of pillow shading on them.
    The hand holding the spear is a bit muddled.
    Not sure if the unit is supposed to be male or female (it's been many years since I began my current hiatus from Wesnoth, so I'm not sure what the unit is even called), but assuming it's female, I think the waist should be a bit smaller and the hips a bit wider.
    The eyes are a bit muddled in the mask/headcloth, which is honestly just something that is going to happen at this scale, but I think it might be worth playing around to try and give a bit more clarity to the eyes.
I made some quick and dirty edits to illustrate what I'm talkign about
_shieldbreaker-lv3-13-comparison.gif
_shieldbreaker-lv3-13-comparison.gif (7.07 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
_shieldbreaker-lv3-13-comparison 2.png
_shieldbreaker-lv3-13-comparison 2.png (11.51 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
Regarding the Nagas, they're looking pretty sharp as well! Only critique I can offer there is to watch the jagged outlines on the weapons, and perhaps try playing around with the brown cloth palette a bit, since it seems a bit dull and out of place compared to the rest of the unit's palette. I think that could be solved by adding some brighter highlights (possibly a bit of a yellow tint), but that's something to play around with.

Again, great work here, I really like everything you've got going on here!
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I have to ask - why is the shaft of the Shieldbreaker's spear blue?
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
ghype

Post by ghype »

It is based on Sleepwalker's design for the Spearguard from the Base Units. The decision to make it blue as well is part of the weapon overhaul of this faction.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Just did a playtest match in 1.15. The Ringcaster's attack icons are excellent, but the chakram in the sprite seems almost hexagonal, rather than round. Also, when using the ranged attack, the game draws an arrow being fired (probably some default animation?).

Haven't tested the Zephyr.
ghype

Post by ghype »

josteph wrote: August 14th, 2019, 9:48 pm when using the ranged attack, the game draws an arrow being fired
Haven't tested the Zephyr.
Both unit lines use wrong projectile. They use "missile" but should use "chakram"

About the sprites, here are the improved versions. The lv2 should look pretty decent with angled chakrams and their perspectives.
I also Improved the lv3 a bit.

naga-lv2-chack-21.png
naga-lv2-chack-21.png (6.16 KiB) Viewed 4754 times

naga-lv3-chack-11.png
naga-lv3-chack-11.png (6.99 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Nice, I like them! And I see you added something the lvl3, the chakram in its right hand (the unit's right, viewer's left) has small teeth at 90 degree intervals around the outer edge now.
ghype

Post by ghype »

josteph wrote: August 15th, 2019, 5:13 pm the chakram in its right hand (the unit's right, viewer's left) has small teeth at 90 degree intervals around the outer edge now.
Those have been around since the initial PR. Basically the nagas left chakram is for melee, because it has a grip. The bladed chakram is for ranged.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Okay, fair enough. I kinda wonder which way the teeth should point (clockwise or counterclockwise) but I guess you've thought about that :)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

josteph wrote: August 15th, 2019, 8:48 pm Okay, fair enough. I kinda wonder which way the teeth should point (clockwise or counterclockwise) but I guess you've thought about that :)
Technically speaking, shouldn't someone be able to turn the chakram over in their hand and have the teeth point the opposite direction?

Haha, only thought about this for like 5 seconds so I might be incorrect. ^_^
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Possible? Yes. Likely to be done in the middle of battle? No.

I was assuming the (unit's) right hand throws the chakram in a motion similar to a backhand shot in tennis, in which case, the teeth seem to be pointing the wrong way around. But I could be wrong about this.
ghype

Post by ghype »

The chakram's first purpose is to slice, not pierce. If the blades tip would hit first, then there is not place for the blade's side to have the extra slice.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Sorry for lateness. I do understand that chakrams are for slicing, rather than piercing... but it seems to me that as drawn, they would pierce rather than slice. That's why I'm asking.

In naga-lv3-chack-11.png which you posted above, the tip of the tooth points towards the little finger of the hand. If the chakram is then thrown in a backhand motion, the tip of the tooth will hit first, which would be piercing. That's why I'm asking if the teeth are pointing the wrong way... it's the long curved side of the tooth that's supposed to hit the enemy first, right? Not the point of the tooth.
ghype

Post by ghype »

So you are wondering wether it works more like a shurikan than a saw blade?
It's not supposed to act like a shurikan.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

For some reason one chakram (unit's left) doesn't have teeth. Perhaps one is for slicing and second one is for piercing?
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

EarthCake wrote: September 9th, 2019, 4:11 pm For some reason one chakram (unit's left) doesn't have teeth. Perhaps one is for slicing and second one is for piercing?
The toothed one is for melee, the smooth one is for throwing. They are inspired by real life chakrams, which function this way.