Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
nemaara
Developer

Re: Grand Portrait List - 2020 update

Post by nemaara »

Hey Lordbob, I've received word that the campaign overhaul is not happening so please feel free to use the current campaigns to draw your portraits. I expect that any revisions for those (possible exception is EI) would be far off in the future, and even in those situations the portraits should be reusable.

For the units, I think what I said hasn't changed.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

nemaara wrote: August 4th, 2020, 10:41 pm Hey Lordbob, I've received word that the campaign overhaul is not happening so please feel free to use the current campaigns to draw your portraits
Ok. That's too bad, I was looking forward to some serious change in the story department. Thanks for letting me know anyway.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

These mainline units lack their own portrait and, where I've specified, their sprites too.
  • Drake Thrasher
  • Drake Arbiter
  • Drake Warrior
  • Fire Drake
  • Drake Flare
  • Sky Drake
  • Armageddon Drake
  • All the Dunefolk, except Dune Herbalist
  • Elvish Rider
  • Elvish Outrider
  • Elvish Marshal
  • Elvish Champion
  • Elvish Enchantress
  • Elvish Avengers
  • Elvish Sharpshooters
  • Falcon
  • Elder Falcon
  • Gryphon Master
  • Goblin Knight
  • Boat
  • Galleon
  • Transport Galleon
  • Pirate Galleon
  • Giant Scorpling
  • Fire Dragon
  • Fire Guardian
  • Nagini Fighter (sprite too)
  • Naga Warrior
  • Nagini Warrior (sprite too)
  • Nagini Myrmidon (sprite too)
  • Dwarvish Arcanister
  • Dwarvish Berserker
  • Dwarvish Steelclad
  • Dwarvish Pathfinder
  • Dwarvish Runesmith
  • Dwarvish Thunderguard
  • Dwarvish Stalwart
  • Merman Javelineer
  • Merman Entangler
  • Merman Warrior
  • Mermaid Diviner
  • Mermaid Siren
  • Chocobone
  • Necrophage
  • Ghast
  • Skeletal Dragon
  • Female Lich (sprite too)
  • A portrait for the Ancient Lich more faithful to its sprite
  • All the Soulless, except the human one
  • Orcish Nightblade
  • Orcish Ruler
  • Saurian Ambusher
  • Saurian Flanker
  • Saurian Oracle
  • Saurian Soothsayer
  • Great Troll (sprite too)
  • Dark Sorcerers
  • Poacher
  • Great Mages
  • Rogues
  • Highwayman
  • Fugitives
  • Dragoon
  • Shock Trooper
  • Royal Warrior
  • Elder Mage
  • Elder Wose
Last edited by Kylix on October 29th, 2020, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

Quibbles:
- There is too a Elvish Druid portrait. https://units.wesnoth.org/1.15/mainline ... Druid.html
- There isn't a female lich sprite, so if you want to be really consistent with the naginis you mentioned earlier, you ought to write "Female Lich (sprite too)".

My first reaction to your list was "those don't all need unique portraits!" but I've forced myself to re-read your introduction several times and realize that this is just a list of all units that don't currently have unique portraits, which doesn't actually say anything about whether that's an acceptable state of affairs or not. :D
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Pilauli wrote: October 28th, 2020, 4:32 pm Quibbles:
- There is too a Elvish Druid portrait. https://units.wesnoth.org/1.15/mainline ... Druid.html
- There isn't a female lich sprite, so if you want to be really consistent with the naginis you mentioned earlier, you ought to write "Female Lich (sprite too)".

My first reaction to your list was "those don't all need unique portraits!" but I've forced myself to re-read your introduction several times and realize that this is just a list of all units that don't currently have unique portraits, which doesn't actually say anything about whether that's an acceptable state of affairs or not. :D
<link removed>

Can this portrait be used for the female lich? Then, I've corrected my post using the colours LordBob asked to use.

2022.02.13: The image hosting site that was used to include images in this post has turned to be malicious, therefore all links to that site in this post have been removed. - WhiteWolf
Last edited by WhiteWolf on February 13th, 2022, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed malicious links
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks for putting in the time and attention, I appreciate the dedication. I'm pretty certain, however, that I already listed all of these missing portraits in the first few posts of this thread (there's a would-be exhaustive breakdown race by race hidden behind folding buttons). Well, except the ancient lich and naginis.

Anyway, I have already considered almost all of these. Some of them have a portrait planned for 1.16 (of which a number are already sketched in my WiP thread. Plus a draft list in the 1.16 outline). Most of the others fall under the category "would be cool to have a specific portrait, but differences between leveled up units aren't that much and there's only 2 people up for the job". So unless a new skilled artist shows up, they won't be touched for at least another year.
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Then, I can handle missing/shared portraits, but not the ones drawn extremely bad, like in Northern Rebirth, which hasn't received new portraits yet.
  • Peasant Tallin (angry too) and Zlex
  • Marshal Tallin (angry too)
  • Camerin
  • Father Morvin
  • Sister Thera
  • Krash
  • Abhai
  • Malifor and Ro'Arthian
  • Ro'Sothian
  • Hamel and Stalrag
  • Elenia
  • Eryssa
  • Hidel
  • Sisal
  • Rakshas

All links removed - WhiteWolf
Last edited by WhiteWolf on February 13th, 2022, 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Hello, glad to come back to Wesnoth after a while and see that you are back as well. Great Stuff!

LordBob wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 8:31 am Fencer
> Duelist
>> Master-at-Arms
(the whole line could do with a replacement)
Since you already posted in your other thread female versions, you refer to the male ones here?

LordBob wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 8:31 am Dunefolk
- Only one portrait to speak of. I like the general direction, though visually I would want them to be more than just eastern warriors, so some concept research is in order before tackling any portraits. My knowledge of the faction lore is lacking at the moment, suggestions welcome.
- Since they are desert dwellers, could the dunefolk be dark-skinned ? Ranging all the way from light tan to deep black.
I feel responsible to re-collect all the data concerning lore in a short form so you can catch up as there have been a lot of long discussions about Dunefolk lore moderated by me. I will get back to that. Might be worth to have a discussion about their looks in a separate thread and collect ideas and thoughts. I will get back to you about this once I got the résumé.
LordBob wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 8:31 am Woses
- Currently a bit generic tree-types. There could be more diversity among woses to match the different varieties of trees they are descended from.
- If there is a place for them on the great continent, tropical tree-inspired woses could be a great addition to the family (I think I saw a mention of it in a Dunefolk thread)
There are woses I made for the development of a mainline Dunefolk Campaign. They should act as visual variation to the northern woses and not be entire new units. These are still in WIP (hence the spoiler) although finishing them and animating them would not be much of a hustle - that if Tropical Woses are wanted.
Spoiler:

LordBob wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 8:31 am 7. Dunefolk
We have to do them, sooner or later. It hurts to have a mainline faction that is almost completely blank portrait-wise and doesn't even have a SP campaign yet as far as I can tell.
Once we pushed the Dunefolk Balance Rework and doofus made new sprites, there 2 potential projects aiming for a mainline Dunefolk campaign but got haltered by the at the time not enough explored lore and missing portraits. If one was going to make Dunefolk portraits, it should go hand in hand with a Dunefolk Campaign so we can have Dunefolk heroes portrait as well.
LordBob wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 8:31 am Gender variants
- Male-only dunefolk soliders, possible variants for other lines
Dunefolk feature the burner line which have both male and female sprites. It would be a loss if we don't have male and female portraits as well.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

ghype wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:56 pmStuff
Fencer line : ideally I would have both male and female portraits with the new design I've sketched in the other thread. However there is only one of me and so much free time on my hands, so for the time being I'm only going to add female variants. I would like it if they could become the default portrait used, but let's first see when and if I can finish them.

Dunefolk : a condensed lore would be great to have indeed. I got started on the Dunefolk lore thread, but that's a lot to take in at once.
Also while we're on Dunefolk, I plan to get started on them next year. I already have a couple sketches in progress (should have them ready next week) and yes, Burner line will be women (men to be drawn at a later date). If a campaign is being written by the time I get to them, I can gladly oblige with a few hero portraits once their visual concept is stable enough.

Tropical woses : I love the idea and it's good to know there can even be matching sprites. There's already a lot on my plate, but let's keep the concept somewhere warm.
Kylix wrote: November 6th, 2020, 11:31 amThen, I can handle missing/shared portraits, but not the ones drawn extremely bad, like in Northern Rebirth, which hasn't received new portraits yet.
We can give it a try if you feel like making a few of those missing portraits. Just pick any one you like and show us how you would have them look. Maybe create a separate thread fot that, though.
ghype

Post by ghype »

LordBob wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:40 pm Fencer line : ideally I would have both male and female portraits with the new design I've sketched in the other thread. However there is only one of me and so much free time on my hands, so for the time being I'm only going to add female variants. I would like it if they could become the default portrait used, but let's first see when and if I can finish them.
A good moment of coming back to this when the female sprites/animations are done.
LordBob wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:40 pm Dunefolk : a condensed lore would be great to have indeed. I got started on the Dunefolk lore thread, but that's a lot to take in at once.
Also while we're on Dunefolk, I plan to get started on them next year. I already have a couple sketches in progress (should have them ready next week) and yes, Burner line will be women (men to be drawn at a later date). If a campaign is being written by the time I get to them, I can gladly oblige with a few hero portraits once their visual concept is stable enough.
I better get starting to prepare all the dunefolk stuff.
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

LordBob wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:40 pm
Kylix wrote: November 6th, 2020, 11:31 amThen, I can handle missing/shared portraits, but not the ones drawn extremely bad, like in Northern Rebirth, which hasn't received new portraits yet.
We can give it a try if you feel like making a few of those missing portraits. Just pick any one you like and show us how you would have them look. Maybe create a separate thread fot that, though.
Not being able to draw, I'm gonna give you some guides:
  • Tallin is a handsome young man (20-29 y.o.) with long blond hair in a braid and a goatee. Before defeating Malifor, his design should be based on the Peasant's sprite, while after that, it should be based on the Grand Marshal's one.
  • Camerin is a middle aged man with grizzled brown hair and beard. His design should be based on the Great Mage's sprite.
  • Father Morvin is a middle aged man with glasses and a blond beard. His design should be based on the Mage of Light's sprite.
  • Sister Thera is a middle aged woman with long blond hair. Her design should be based on the Mage of Light's sprite.
  • Malifor is a psychotic and, according to Elenia, pervert undead lord. His design should be based on the Ancient Lich's sprite.
  • Ro'Arthian is a vengeful undead sorcerer. His design should be based on the Ancient Lich's sprite.
  • Ro'Sothian is a vengeful undead sorcerer. His design should be based on the Lich's sprite.
  • Hamel is a respected, middle-aged king of dwarves with reddish hair and beard. His design should be based on the Dwarvish Lord's sprite.
  • Stalrag is a warmonger dwarf with dark blond hair and beard. His design should be based on the Dwarvish Lord's sprite.
  • Elenia is a young and pretty elf with long, blond hair. Her design should be based on the Elvish Shyde's sprite.
  • Eryssa is a young and pretty elf with long, blond hair. Her design should be based on the Elvish Sylph's sprite.
  • Hidel is a middle aged handsome elf with long blond hair. His design should be based on the Elvish Marshal's sprite.
  • Sisal is a young elf with brown hair. Her design should be based on the Elvish Avenger's sprite.
  • Rakshas is a middle aged and warmonger king of orcs. His design should be based on the Orcish Sovereign's sprite.
  • Zlex is a young man (15-27 y.o.). His design should be based on the Peasant's sprite.
  • Krash is a young drake. His design should be based on the Drake Burner's sprite.
  • Abhai is an old ghost from very long ago. His design should be based on the Spectre's sprite.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Kylix wrote: January 6th, 2021, 10:37 am
  • Hamel is a respected, middle-aged king of dwarves with reddish hair and beard. His design should be based on the Dwarvish Lord's sprite.
Hamel already has a portrait in The Hammer of Thursagan. That one has him sitting on a throne, but it could be used as a basis.
  • Elenia is a young and pretty elf with long, blond hair. Her design should be based on the Elvish Shyde's sprite.
  • Eryssa is a young and pretty elf with long, blond hair. Her design should be based on the Elvish Sylph's sprite.
Aside from being low resolution, these two portraits look perfectly fine.
  • Abhai is an old ghost from very long ago. His design should be based on the Spectre's sprite.
Isn't abhai a ghost of an elf? maybe that should also be taken into consideration.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Kylix wrote:Sisal is a young elf with brown hair. Her design should be based on the Elvish Avenger's sprite.
Kylix wrote:Stalrag is a warmonger dwarf with dark blond hair and beard. His design should be based on the Dwarvish Lord's sprite.
While I'm always up for more portraits to be added to the game, I just wanted to bring up someting I just thought of: How much are these two actually in the campaign? As far as I can remember -- it's been awhile since I've played through it -- I don't think they're in any more than, maybe, 1 scenario?

Of course, that doesn't mean they shouldn't get their own portrait, but if it comes down to priority, I think they can definitely be saved for last. Those are my thoughts, anyway.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Pewskeepski wrote: January 6th, 2021, 11:22 am
Kylix wrote:Sisal is a young elf with brown hair. Her design should be based on the Elvish Avenger's sprite.
Kylix wrote:Stalrag is a warmonger dwarf with dark blond hair and beard. His design should be based on the Dwarvish Lord's sprite.
While I'm always up for more portraits to be added to the game, I just wanted to bring up someting I just thought of: How much are these two actually in the campaign? As far as I can remember -- it's been awhile since I've played through it -- I don't think they're in any more than, maybe, 1 scenario?

Of course, that doesn't mean they shouldn't get their own portrait, but if it comes down to priority, I think they can definitely be saved for last. Those are my thoughts, anyway.
Stalrag is introduced with Ro'Arthian and Ro'Sothian and appears in all the subsequent scenarios.

Sisal appears in the last two scenarios.
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

BTIsaac wrote: January 6th, 2021, 11:02 am
Kylix wrote: January 6th, 2021, 10:37 am
Hamel already has a portrait in The Hammer of Thursagan. That one has him sitting on a throne, but it could be used as a basis.
Aside from being low resolution, these two portraits look perfectly fine.
Isn't abhai a ghost of an elf? maybe that should also be taken into consideration.
  • I agree, but in NR he's younger than in THOT. <link removed>
  • The elvish sisters, like all the NR characters, unfortunately have awful portraits (I play since 2013 and I'm so disappointed in that).
  • Abhai should be an Aragwaith, according to Revansurik. Before that, I thought he was a drake or an orc.

Abhai: Oh, thank the Gods of Light! Finally there is someone here in force to deal with that menace. You must have been sent by the High Kalian of Hiera’Shirsha?

Tallin: The what?

Camerin: Err, I think we might be in different... uh... time zones, here.

Abhai: I beg your pardon. Say, what year is it anyway?

Tallin: Uh... 534YW...

Abhai: Huh?! Can’t be, the last year I remember it was 14,318AD!

Tallin: ?

Camerin: Different calendars, folks.

Tallin: I see, but say, who are you?

Abhai: What? How can you not know who I am?

Tallin: The times have changed, my friend.

Abhai: Right... sorry about that. My name is Lord Abhai and I am... or was... the ruler of the great kingdom of Garet-Desh.

2022.02.13: The image hosting site that was used to include images in this post has turned to be malicious, therefore all links to that site in this post have been removed. - WhiteWolf
Last edited by WhiteWolf on February 13th, 2022, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.