Observers

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

For 1.0, I think proper implementation of Observers in multiplayer is a must. The two most important changes are, in my mind:

1. Allowing Observers to talk
and
2. Allowing players to kick Observers out (in case they abuse that privilige)
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
miyo

Post by miyo »

Why should observers be allowed to talk?

- Miyo
Circon

Post by Circon »

Because otherwise they have to set labels if they want to say anything.

There have been some cases where an observer joins a two-player game on turn 1. The players don't notice the observer (darn small hat!) and the observer has to set some clumsy labels to say anything, but once he writes "would you mind starting a new game so I can join" the players agree that 3-player is much more more fun.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Circon wrote:Because otherwise they have to set labels if they want to say anything.

There have been some cases where an observer joins a two-player game on turn 1. The players don't notice the observer (darn small hat!) and the observer has to set some clumsy labels to say anything, but once he writes "would you mind starting a new game so I can join" the players agree that 3-player is much more more fun.
well...the observer really shouldn't be allowed to set labels either... :roll: but yeah, he probably should be allowed to talk. and people should definitely be able to kick him- some people don't like playing with observers.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Observers should be able to talk, though maybe not in fogged or shrouded games where they could reveal things...
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

So, perhaps we should switch things around and allow observers to talk but not allow them to set labels? Or perhaps we should allow them to do both?

Allowing them to set labels but not to talk is certainly illogical.

I can understand people wanting to kick observers, but to keep it simple, perhaps the option should be simply to turn off the "Allow Observers" switch in-game. Yes, I know there may be cases where there is one anti-social observers and some 'good' observers etc etc, but if we want to ban specific observers we're going to have to start working out how to ban them by IP so they can't just rejoin etc etc and it's going to start getting messy....
turin wrote:some people don't like playing with observers.
You can just untick the "Allow Observers" option when you start the game.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telex4

Post by telex4 »

How about being able to toggle abilities on a per-observer basis:

Observers

Tom
[x] Can talk
[x] Can set labels

John
[x] Can talk
[ ] Can set labels

This way you can mute annoying observers, have particular observers acting as commanders, or just have normal observers.
Last edited by telex4 on May 1st, 2004, 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Dave wrote:So, perhaps we should switch things around and allow observers to talk but not allow them to set labels? Or perhaps we should allow them to do both?

Allowing them to set labels but not to talk is certainly illogical.

I can understand people wanting to kick observers, but to keep it simple, perhaps the option should be simply to turn off the "Allow Observers" switch in-game. Yes, I know there may be cases where there is one anti-social observers and some 'good' observers etc etc, but if we want to ban specific observers we're going to have to start working out how to ban them by IP so they can't just rejoin etc etc and it's going to start getting messy....
turin wrote:some people don't like playing with observers.
You can just untick the "Allow Observers" option when you start the game.

David
I think this is a good idea. In most cases you probably won't mind observers, but a simple way to cheat in multi-player with FoW, would be to log in as an observer for the game. I would hope that most Wesnothian warlords would resist such a temptation, but disabling observers in games where you worry about such things would prevent this.
erl
Inactive Developer

Post by erl »

How about having the ability to set a password for observers? Then this password could be given to the observers that the players want and unwanted observers will be kept out. Fairly straightforward to implement and could be quite effective I'd think. It would really reduce the need for the ability to kick people.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Well, the chat forum doesn't actually support private messages right now, so keeping a password secret could prove difficult...

Personally, I rather like Telex's idea. When you click on an observer's eye, you'd get a small menu with three options:

Observer can talk
Observer can set labels
Kick Observer

Of course, there will always be problems with antisocial [censored] (something about anonymity, I believe), but if you combine that with David's idea to turn off all Observers, you'll only have to kick the "nice" Observers when the antisocial ones keep on coming back.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Instead of disallowing observers by each individual observer, perhaps allowing each player to enable/disable observers would be better. Thus, If a player thinks he is being harmed by observers kabitzing and revealing top secret info, he could prevent all observers from watching.

Another possibilty is having the observers on turn lag. You could set the lag at the beginning of the game. So for example, observers might only see moves 2 turns after they take effect...
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Sangel wrote:Of course, there will always be problems with antisocial [censored] (something about anonymity, I believe), but if you combine that with David's idea to turn off all Observers, you'll only have to kick the "nice" Observers when the antisocial ones keep on coming back.
or you could make it so that only observers who have already joined can stay in, and not let any more join. It would work like this: each observer's status is kept seperate, and there is another status that observers recieve upon joining (each observer that is already in has a higher status than this). The join status could include 'kicked out', which means that no new observers can join.
KISS- keep it simple, stupid

When reading the above quote from TWP, keep in mind the words of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: "Language is the source of misunderstandings."
miyo

Post by miyo »

I don't think observers need to be able to talk or set labels.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

All these ideas are nice, but honestly, I was hoping for a solution that I could implement in under 100 lines of code ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
miyo

Post by miyo »

If observers must be able to talk then just have 'mute observers' if any player has 'mute observers' enabled then observers can't talk at all.

- Miyo