Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Jetryl wrote:Edited the glaive, scimitar, and gaze from earlier
Scimitar - very clever. simple edit, amazing improvement.

Gaze - another good call. This eye definitely conveys more of the threatening nature of the attack. My only gripe is those stray white pixels in the iris, especially the row near the bottom eyelid.

Glaive - very, very different. The main problem I see: by making the pole thicker it looks too much like a knife handle.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Zhukov wrote:I had a similar problem with another icon, until someone reminded me that whenever the player sees it the name will be written right next to it.
:wink:
zookeeper wrote:I guess it's just a matter of taste then - the one by fmunoz is a lot more awesome if you'd ask me.

Try both. I think the original is more suited to the dragonstick, but the other could be used for something as well.
Sapient wrote:The main problem I see: by making the pole thicker it looks too much like a knife handle.
Yeah, same here. Pole needs to be thinner, the blade longer.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Disclaimer: No animals were harmed in the creation of all the "-ish" words... only small babies.

Awesome!!
The gaze icon is really impresive.
Much improvement in the scimitar
I like the volume you gave to the lips (the blood dont really look good) maybe a more redish version, not as redical as the colour I used...(yes I tried garish red lips on purpose) but look really good so it could be left with no edits.
The Glaive looks better but looks less "glaive-ish", now seems more some kind of dagger...
The pekka's dragon stick seems really awesome ... maybe with some minor edits (mouth, a bit of handle at the back) it could be more "stick-ish" without losing the "dragon-ish"
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Hmm.. Dragonstaff icons seem to divide opinions. Well, use whichever you want or make a better one. I could try to edit mine a bit, but I'm quite blind to the weak spots, until they are clearly indicated to me. Therefore someone else should do it.

The main reason I drew the icon was that the older version was obvious re-edit of the thunderstick to me.

Feedback for the other new icons:
-Jetryl's gaze edit is very very nice!
-fmunoz's/Jetryl's scimitar is also awesome.
-The new glaive is quite daggerish. I'd prefer a combination of fmunoz's handle and Jetryl's blade.
-I think the vampire fangs are a little bit contrastless and feeble. In other words it doesn't look very dangerous attack.
-fist is quite blurry.

EDIT: Just saw the fmunoz's fire claws -icon. Nobody has praised it, but not anymore. It is just pure awesomeness! :)

EDIT2: A try to sharpen the human fist. Mine might be too dark?
The evolution:ImageImage
Attachments
fist_human.png
fist_human.png (5.51 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

pekka wrote:The main reason I drew the icon was that the older version was obvious re-edit of the thunderstick to me.
People seem to cite that as a reason for rejecting or changing icons a lot, but I find that rather confusing as it doesn't really apply. Fists are all cut from the same cloth, the thrown poison human dagger is an obvious edit of the thrown human dagger, etc. A dragonstick is just an upgrade to a thunderstick, so it makes sense for it to look very similar, to make them easy to associate.
pekka wrote:EDIT2: A try to sharpen the human fist. Mine might be too dark?
The best version yet IMO. Maybe just lighten the darkest areas a little bit (now there seems to be just a little too much contrast)?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

zookeeper wrote:the thrown poison human dagger is an obvious edit of the thrown human dagger, etc.
Not quite. I drew that completely from scratch. Since it was literally the exact same weapon, but with poison on it, I did intend it to look extremely similar, but it is not an edit.
pekka wrote:EDIT: Just saw the fmunoz's fire claws -icon. Nobody has praised it, but not anymore. It is just pure awesomeness!
I'd given it the subtle praise of committing it to SVN.
Nope - yours is perfect. Damn, the three of us make a good team. :D

To this end, I've committed the following three icons:
Image Image Image
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

zookeeper wrote:People seem to cite that as a reason for rejecting or changing icons a lot, but I find that rather confusing as it doesn't really apply. Fists are all cut from the same cloth, the thrown poison human dagger is an obvious edit of the thrown human dagger, etc. A dragonstick is just an upgrade to a thunderstick, so it makes sense for it to look very similar, to make them easy to associate.
Similarity of the picture composition is okay and even desirable for easy association, as you pointed. Obvious re-edit of older icon just looks cheap.
zookeeper wrote:
The best version yet IMO. Maybe just lighten the darkest areas a little bit (now there seems to be just a little too much contrast)?
Yes, it has too much contrast. I tend to draw too contrasty and too dark stuff, I've noticed. Well, here's a correction.
Attachments
fist_human2.png
fist_human2.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
fist_human2_ring.png
fist_human2_ring.png (5.71 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I updated (and committed) the old style generic fangs.png with a version of fangs-animal.png that just has everything but the teeth removed from it, so that it has some of the new look to it.
Attachments
fangs.png
fangs.png (5.89 KiB) Viewed 3782 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I edited a yeti fist icon from the human fist. It's pretty crap, but I thought I'd post it anyway just so it could be used in case no one comes up with anything better than the existing fist.png before 1.2 (this is still better than that one).
Attachments
fist-yeti.png
fist-yeti.png (6.87 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The red dragon tail attack... still seems to lack volume but it's past midnigth.
(Attached a x3 original gimp file... the final one also gets some edits at small size)
Attachments
tail_dragon.png
tail_dragon.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 3763 times
tail_dragon.zip
(41.42 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Quick edit over the quick edit... more yeti.
Made the hand broader.
ImageImage
Attachments
fist_yeti.png
fist_yeti.png (6.96 KiB) Viewed 3758 times
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Image Image Image

-These great icons drawn by Jetryl weren't committed yet. For the fire breath icon I can only wonder why is that?
-Spider fangs were too dark and here is my quick try to light them up. Still too dark?
-I can't understand why Jetryl doesn't like the halberd of his? I think its great. Well, I tried to change some steel parts to brass decorations. Any better?
Attachments
halberd.png
halberd.png (5.83 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
spider_fangs.png
spider_fangs.png (6.2 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The thing that bugs me about the drake fire breath is the odd empty space at top left corner. What is that supposed to be? Drakes don't have that thin noses, so it can't just be empty space (and it doesn't look like an eye either).

Anyway, here's what I'd do to it (just fill the empty space with some drake). But still, the whole thing looks far too zoomed in. An angle more like the one used in thundersticks (but with the camera on the same level vertically, so you wouldn't see the mouth from above) would IMO work better.
Attachments
drake_breath_fix.png
drake_breath_fix.png (7.54 KiB) Viewed 3737 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I've committed the following.
Image Image

pekka wrote:Similarity of the picture composition is okay and even desirable for easy association, as you pointed. Obvious re-edit of older icon just looks cheap.
Indeed.
zookeeper wrote:I updated (and committed) the old style generic fangs.png with a version of fangs-animal.png that just has everything but the teeth removed from it, so that it has some of the new look to it.
Good idea. Thanks.
Pekka wrote:-Spider fangs were too dark and here is my quick try to light them up. Still too dark?
The only thing that needs to be fixed here is that the "fang arms", or whatever the heck they're properly called, need to be less pill-shaped.
Pekka wrote:-I can't understand why Jetryl doesn't like the halberd of his? I think its great. Well, I tried to change some steel parts to brass decorations. Any better?
Yes. Way the hell better.
Needs some cleanup of the wrist, and a bit more fuzz/bigs.

Yes, it's grossly self-contradictory, but if we do enough work to this, I won't mind this one being an edit.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Request to Fmuñoz/Pekka:

Replace/Fix my tentacle icon. It sucks. :D