"Ability" reduced healing

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Jetrel

"Ability" reduced healing

Post by Jetrel »

Here is an idea which currently has no use, but could prove useful later, perhaps. Right now all units will heal at the same rate next to a healer/in a village.

It might be useful for some unforeseen campaigns/units to have an ability that can be applied to certain types of powerful units which would make them half as able to be healed.

I have no idea where this would be useful - golems, perhaps, but someone might like it, and it would add an interesting game dynamic for powerful units that can take a heavy beating but take a long time to recover from it.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

If you want to do this just make a unit that has lots of hitpoints but very low resistance to all attacks. You'll get the same effect.

Conversely, you can make units that can heal 'fast' by giving them fewer hitpoints and high resistance to all attacks.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

me = tard
why didn't I think of that
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Cause you're just silly like that =), now if an unit would get high hp AND resistance; that's fun!
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The idea can be tweaked to get some kind of "unhealable" skill that will be more interesting.
Units like the "Cursed King" with his neverhealing wounds will make some fun scenarios... find the magic chalice to heal him before some enemy finish him (or you) The king being an old-code-of-honour chap is here with his full armour and horse unhearing your advice to wait for you.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Yeah, I was a bit ... unsure of posting the full idea because I thought people would hate that. That's another thing I was thinking.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Wasn't something like this suggested as part of a Death-strike for some high level undead?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I think something like that was proposed for wose: only heal in water...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Boucman wrote:I think something like that was proposed for wose: only heal in water...
well, that would make woses rather useless. what if there isn't any water on the map? once they get wounded to 1/2 health, they are worthless...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:shock: holy crap - wait a sec - that's one of the missing keys! If we ever put forest spirits/ sprites in the game (or really, sprites of any type, be they water or forest or sand), we should have a thing where the unit can only heal in certain types of terrain.

This would be a rarely used ability, but...

If we also made said spirits very strong within their terrain, and weak outside, it could well fit their character.

:x There's still something else that's needed. hmph. Hope I can come up with a bright idea.

--------

In response to turin's post, the idea is to make the unit quite stronger than normal, but only so on their own terrain.

Sprite - advantage in woods, ok in green ground (swamps, grass), terrible on water and bare earth (sand, hills, mnts.)

Water Sprite - advantage on any terrain with water. Ok on semi-arid terrain (grass, better on trees than grass). Terrible on dry ground.

Earth/Sand Sprite - advantage on any terrain of bare earth, esp sand, but also mountains and hills. Ok in grass, not so good in forest. Terrible over water and swamp.

Frost spirit - uh, kinda explains itself

Dunno how good these would be for multiplayer, but they might be great for campaigns.
miyo

Post by miyo »

It was also suggested what Wose regenerate only in sunlight ("Photosynthesis") =)

- Miyo
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Jetryl wrote:Dunno how good these would be for multiplayer, but they might be great for campaigns.
they wouldn't, IMHO, be that good. it would just add variety as an end in itself, which it is (at least should) not be.

these ideas just seem kind of 'wierd for wierdness sake'. i don't think they would add that much strategy, even, because the unit would just hide out in a clump of whatever terrain they are great in, and you would have to defeat them in it. not that interesting to me.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
brakett

Post by brakett »

I think a "no healing" skill could be cool for certain undead. It would give the walking corpses an interesting twist.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

brakett wrote:I think a "no healing" skill could be cool for certain undead. It would give the walking corpses an interesting twist.
no...they are bad enough already...

that would only be for an upgrade of Revanant, perhaps. and if it exists, it should only be for one of the upgrade sides, there should always be a choice that makes it not happen.
The World of Orbivm