Temples

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
quartex
Inactive Developer

Temples

Post by quartex »

Re: temples in "Isle of the damned"

It's odd we've never seen the temple artwork used in any other scenarios or campaigns. I think they could be used in interesting ways.
We talked a long time ago about having a temple or shrine that would heal a lot but provide no defense. This is probably no longer needed much because there is so much healing in the game.

But image a scenario where you had to fight over control of a series of temples. Fighting an undead or orc foe, you would get a point for each turn that one of your units occupies a temple. The first side that gets X points wins. I'm not sure if this is even possible to program in WML. Of course the AI for this scenario would be difficult to program.

Or have temples as a one-time source of cash. As an orc or undead player you got X gold the first time you looted it, but none afterwards. This temple might be protected by an enemy, or perhaps the enemy AI could be trying to loot it as well.

My point is that temples are one of the only buildings we have besides villages, and I think they could be used to create some interesting scenarios.

Or are they crypts? I can't tell.
AT

i think

Post by AT »

I think that some improved building code is on its way. Once thats in, then we can go crazy with it.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
Dacyn

Re: Temples

Post by Dacyn »

quartex wrote:'m not sure if this is even possible to program in WML.
It is possible.
quartex wrote:My point is that temples are one of the only buildings we have besides villages, and I think they could be used to create some interesting scenarios.
Villages are not really "buildings", since they are a terrain.
Anyway I don't think your suggestion is specific enough. You can propose a scenario plot which would use the temple graphic, but IMO using the temple graphic would not be the point of creating such a scenario.
And shouldn't this be in Scenario and Campaign Development?
Last edited by Dacyn on June 6th, 2004, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roel

Post by Roel »

if it's a terrain , can it have an event like "give player lots of gold when he steps on 11,21" ?)
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Roel wrote:if it's a terrain , can it have an event like "give player lots of gold when he steps on 11,21" ?)
what do you mean by "if it's a terrain"? But the described event is possible in WML.
Shade

You can, kind of. . .

Post by Shade »

A cheap solution, that I used in temple of the deep, is to just make over the village with a terrain, then throw a graphic on top of it. . . I found it helpful in that scenario because I wanted to bring the scale down, but I wanted a source of emergency healing. . .
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
turin
Lord of the East

Re: You can, kind of. . .

Post by turin »

Shade wrote:A cheap solution, that I used in temple of the deep, is to just make over the village with a terrain, then throw a graphic on top of it. . . I found it helpful in that scenario because I wanted to bring the scale down, but I wanted a source of emergency healing. . .
does it give you gold too?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Shade

Yes

Post by Shade »

Yes, it gives gold. Not very realistic, but since I gave an income (in that level) anyway, it didn't concern me that much.
Dacyn

Re: Yes

Post by Dacyn »

Shade wrote:Yes, it gives gold. Not very realistic, but since I gave an income (in that level) anyway, it didn't concern me that much.
huh? The "income=" key assigns the base income, not the total, AFAIK.
Shade

Yes.

Post by Shade »

Yes, it assigns base income. But as a matter of policy, I prefer to not 'give' the player's side more income than the default (2?). I broke down and did so in this level, because there were so few villages, and it was a tough fight. So, all I was saying was that the added unrealism of 'rubbing' a monolith to give an extra 2 gold a turn didn't bug me much.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I put this in ideas becuase I was pondering different ideas in how temples (and other buildings) could be used in designing scenarios. The example of capturing temples is a bit similar to king of the hill, where you are trying to capture and hold a certain area. I just thought it would be interesting to have a scenario that was more than just, defeat your enemy and the idea of capturing temples and holding them against an overwhelming enemy (it would be too easy if you could just defeat the enemy leader) came to mind. This has been done before, such as the last undead scenario in the Warcraft IIIL The Frozen Throne campaign.