A new race

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote:I didn't say freeze the units. Simply the races, or more particularly, factions.

I.e. we should say "the factions for Wesnoth 1.0 will be Loyalists, Rebels, Northerners, Undead, Dwarves/Knalgan Alliance, Lizards, and Drakes".
I seen no point in this and I disagree until coders freeze implementing new features (and bugs)
Dave wrote:I think we've got more than enough factions as it is, and we can freeze them now.
Don't prevent development fun (new races, new units, new factions, new graphics) from others if you keep development fun for yourself (new code, new features, etc).

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

There can be races/factions that are not used in campaigns... as building blocks for user campaign builders. Or as yet another multiplayer faction.

- Miyo
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

mlangsdorf wrote:Are the barbarians out for 1.0? They've already been proposed and some substantial work has been done.
Probably not :( . They are a work in progress, but too slow for now. But they can join later, once 1.0 is out, so giving enough time to balance them.
miyo

Post by miyo »

It can take while before we get to 1.0... don't assume anything for when it will be released. IIRWIIR [1]

- Miyo

[1] It Is Ready When It Is Ready
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

But if races are going to be frozen, and it is going to happen in the near future, long before 1.0, it is a reasonable assumption to think they won't be ready in time. However, work will continue on them anyway. If they get in time, cool :D
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

mlangsdorf wrote:Are the barbarians out for 1.0? They've already been proposed and some substantial work has been done.
I think barbarians should be in as some units that could either be part of another faction, or simply enemies in some campaign scenarios.
miyo wrote: I seen no point in this and I disagree until coders freeze implementing new features (and bugs)
It's just that it feels that we're rushing in all these new factions, and honestly I think we have enough factions.

I'm fine with new advancements, new units, etc. It just seems that we already do have alot of factions.

And, I would like to freeze features too soon, it's just that users keep suggesting features which do sound compelling :(

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming