lag

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
ubertuna-1

lag

Post by ubertuna-1 »

I just logged onto the server and it took a full 7 minutes for it to load. Ussually it only takes 1-2 minutes for it to log onto the multiplayer server. Is this just me or is everybody expiriencing the same problem. I'm running version 1.2.7 on mac OS 10.4.1.
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

AAARARARG!!!!!! I got a client dissconnect now I need to log on again. Is there anything wrong the 1.2 server or is my comp just acting weird?
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Are you sure you are talking about minutes, not seconds?
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

I have the same problem on both server (1.2.7 and 1.3.9). When i click on multiplayer button , "reader server data" is 0%. I click "cancel" and "time connection expired" message appears. I have to repeat it around 10 or 20 times to log in the lobby... It can take around 5/6 minutes to log indeed. Sometimes, when i am at least in the lobby, i cannot watch games because i got " client disconnect".... then i have to repeat previous action! :?
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ubertuna-1 wrote:AAARARARG!!!!!! I got a client dissconnect now I need to log on again. Is there anything wrong the 1.2 server or is my comp just acting weird?
(Sighs)

If you could act normal, instead of acting insanely...
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

I am not acting insanely, I'm just annoyed. Very annoyed. And yes, it was in minutes. I hit the join server button at 8:42 GMT -7 and it didn't log me on until 8:49 GMT -7. Also, all the games that I have played recently have about a 10-15 second lag time between player's turns. Everybody that I have played with in these lagging games has also noticed it. Does anybody know why everything is so slow?
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

There are some performance problems that showed up during the last year or so. If i am not completely mistaken they are caused by two factors:

Unit information has become much more excessive to process internally, especially animations.

The official multiplayer server has more users now (i'd estimate about twice as much as a year ago).

If you hit the "multiplayer" button in the title screen, all your multiplayer information needs to be loaded and processed. Depending on the eras and mp scenarios you installed via add-ons as well as the speed of your machine, this might take up to a couple of minutes.
If you didn't shut off autosaves, at the _beginning_ of your turn a savegame is created. Some scenarios (like DotG or similar ones) create big savefiles in the range of megabytes and you experience a small lag, usually lasting a few seconds. This is independent of the number of people on the server, it's only happening on your machine.

From your description however i get the impression, that this is not your problem. It sounds like you see the load bar with the percentage in it while connecting to the server and _after_ that it still takes a substantial amount of time to get to the mp lobby. If that is the case, i suspect it's a matter of your connection speed. For me this never lasts longer than a few seconds but i am on a 6 MBit/s connection. If you have lower speeds i am afraid there is little you can do except look for times when the server is not so crowded.
While writing this down i remember that a year ago going to the mp lobby was almost instantly, no lag to experience. But the max number of games was like 10-15, today you can easily see twice as much or more.

While it might not help you at the moment, it's an important information for us to keep in mind. Maybe we soon need to find a way to reduce traffic, offer additional servers or something.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

thanks for your explanations! :wink:
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

Yogi Bear wrote:From your description however i get the impression, that this is not your problem. It sounds like you see the load bar with the percentage in it while connecting to the server and _after_ that it still takes a substantial amount of time to get to the mp lobby.
No, I click "join multiplayer server" and then it just sits there for about 3 minutes, it was especially long in this case, and then the loading bar pops up and it joins in a matter of seconds.
DDR

Post by DDR »

I suspect that my login problem falls under the "more info to process" problem. When I log on to multiplayer, I have waited more than two hours before it gives me the blue loading bar. Then, I am onto the server in a matter of seconds. :|
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

I don't even have a response for that. 2 HOURS? :shock: btw I like your new avatar. It seems more mouse-like.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ubertuna-1 wrote:I am not acting insanely, I'm just annoyed.
I'm seriously annoyed by a bug in 1.3.x that duplicates recall lists. And I don't complain. And you really don't want to hear/read my complaints.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

ubertuna-1 wrote:
Yogi Bear wrote:From your description however i get the impression, that this is not your problem. It sounds like you see the load bar with the percentage in it while connecting to the server and _after_ that it still takes a substantial amount of time to get to the mp lobby.
No, I click "join multiplayer server" and then it just sits there for about 3 minutes, it was especially long in this case, and then the loading bar pops up and it joins in a matter of seconds.
This should get much better if you reduce the number of multiplayer add-ons for your installation. Maybe there are some scenarios or eras you don't need any longer? I got extended era and a few survival scenarios installed and that's reasonably fast.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Yogi Bear wrote:This should get much better if you reduce the number of multiplayer add-ons for your installation. Maybe there are some scenarios or eras you don't need any longer? I got extended era and a few survival scenarios installed and that's reasonably fast.
That's a temporary workaround, but IMO this is still a significant bug - additional content shouldn't slow down the game much at all.

Is there a way to speed up Wesnoth's WML-parsing? Or is the bottleneck somewhere else?
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Wesnoth takes a long time the first time after you install a new content, especially on Windows where it tend to be more critical.
This is normal, the first time you install a new content it rebuilds your cache, parsing all your installed addons. This might be especially slow for multiplayer addons since they all share the same cache.
But the time after, it should be quite fast (that's what the cache is for).
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr