Questions regarding the Northern Alliance (campaign related)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheGreatRings

Questions regarding the Northern Alliance (campaign related)

Post by TheGreatRings »

I am currently writing the story for a campaign on the fall of the Kingdom of Wesnoth, and I am looking for some info on the Northern Alliance.

First, what system of government does the Alliance use? A single monarch, some kind of ruling council, etc?

Second, what sort of relations has the Northern Alliance canonically had with the orcs, with the undead cultists, with Wesnoth, and with the other major factions? I have played nearly all of Northern Rebirth, but I'm wondering if their's any established information for the Alliance's politics in the period of Son of the Black Eye and after (if the questions I am looking for are answered in that campaign or any other I haven't finished I apologies, and can only assure you all that I ask these questions because I simply don't have time to play and find out).
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Questions regarding the Northern Alliance (campaign related)

Post by Turuk »

The Great Rings wrote:(if the questions I am looking for are answered in that campaign or any other I haven't finished I apologies, and can only assure you all that I ask these questions because I simply don't have time to play and find out).
You can just quickly read through the scenario files in a text editor to skim the dialogue or story, or read what's on the wiki.

530-630YW
It was in this era that certain areas of the chaotic Northlands were for the first time put into any kind of law and order. A small group of humans and dwarves, accepting anyone of any race who wished to join, formed themselves into the "Northern Alliance”, with the vision of making the Northlands safe to live in. Over time, this alliance grew slowly but steadily in power. By the end of the era, the alliance had succeeded in making a few small areas, including Knalga and the surrounding regions, stable and prosperous. Consequently, many people evacuated from the wasteland that most of Wesnoth had become and moved north - depleting the population of Wesnoth still further.

535 YW
The warlord-aspirant Rakshas attacks Tallin and his forces, but does not penetrate the dwarves' defences.
To help defeat the orcs, Tallin secures the help of two Liches, and rescues an elvish princess to secure the help of the elves.
Assisted by his new allies, Tallin smashes the forces of Rakshas.
According to some historians, Tallin and the elvish princess are married; others say they parted in bad blood.
To preserve the new-found peace in the Northlands, Tallin and his allies form the Northern Alliance. Northern Rebirth ends.

816 YW
Rahul I (Lord Protector of the Northern Alliance) and Black Eye Karun sign a peace treaty ending a 15 year war between the humans and the orcs. Soon after this Karun, is ambushed and killed in mysterious circumstances.
842 YW
War once again breaks out between the orcish tribes and the northern human earldoms as humans break the long standing treaty and attempt to colonise orcish lands. In response, the Great Council set up by the Black Eye Karun calls upon The Great Horde and bestows leadership of it upon Kapou’e; Son of the Black Eye begins.
843 YW
Half of the Great Council is treacherously slain by the allied human forces and orcish unity disintegrates. Faced with the extermination of all the orcs on the Great Continent, Kapou’e forcibly asserts his control over the orcish territories and defeats the enemy forces. The Northern Alliance arrives on the scene in time for the final battle and helps Kapou’e defeat the forces of the northern earldoms, who had broken the treaty. Kapou’e then assumes the position of Sovereign over the northern tribes, and his rule ushers in an unprecedented era of unity and prosperity for the orcs.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Turuk wrote:
The Great Rings wrote:(if the questions I am looking for are answered in that campaign or any other I haven't finished I apologies, and can only assure you all that I ask these questions because I simply don't have time to play and find out).
You can just quickly read through the scenario files in a text editor to skim the dialogue or story, or read what's on the wiki.
Sorry, I know I'm seriously inept at finding information.

816 YW
Rahul I (Lord Protector of the Northern Alliance) and Black Eye Karun sign a peace treaty ending a 15 year war between the humans and the orcs. Soon after this Karun, is ambushed and killed in mysterious circumstances.
This is useful; the title is Lord Protector rather than King.
842 YW
War once again breaks out between the orcish tribes and the northern human earldoms as humans break the long standing treaty and attempt to colonise orcish lands. In response, the Great Council set up by the Black Eye Karun calls upon The Great Horde and bestows leadership of it upon Kapou’e; Son of the Black Eye begins.
843 YW
Half of the Great Council is treacherously slain by the allied human forces and orcish unity disintegrates. Faced with the extermination of all the orcs on the Great Continent, Kapou’e forcibly asserts his control over the orcish territories and defeats the enemy forces. The Northern Alliance arrives on the scene in time for the final battle and helps Kapou’e defeat the forces of the northern earldoms, who had broken the treaty. Kapou’e then assumes the position of Sovereign over the northern tribes, and his rule ushers in an unprecedented era of unity and prosperity for the orcs.
Sounds like the Northern Alliance are actually quite friendly with the orcs, this may or may not require me to do some rewriting, but it gives me some interesting ideas.

Thanks for your help, anyways.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The Great Rings wrote:Sorry, I know I'm seriously inept at finding information.
Not a big deal, I was just saying that this way you don't have to play through campaigns to find the information. I used to think that before I discovered the wonder of using a text editor, and it makes life easier. This way you can quickly reference a specific scenario if you need to check what one person or another says, or something from the story part.
The Great Rings wrote:Sounds like the Northern Alliance are actually quite friendly with the orcs, this may or may not require me to do some rewriting, but it gives me some interesting ideas.

Thanks for your help, anyways.
Not a problem, glad to help.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It's worth noting that in the second scenario of tHoT, the Dwarves ally with the Orcs against bandits - the Northern Alliance is accepting of anyone who obeys its treaties.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
docrock

Post by docrock »

yep, the NA is a pretty tolerant bunch of folks. like "hey, just coz you're an orc doesn't make you a lesser creature". that's always been something i liked about them.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)