Conquest 2.0 - on 1.8 server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mabuse

Re: Conquest 2.0 - on 1.8 server

Post by Mabuse »

and i thought you could change some names in order to make it possible ? ;)

however, thats your part of a careing maintainer, that the upload does not get deleted instantly ;)

in any case - the place of a maintainer is still vacant, and i think its a pity if you dont make the work you done available to download :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

I would be somewhat willing to be a maintainer, except for the fact that I'd have no idea what I'd be doing. I know the very very basic WML stuff of how to copy conquest code onto a new map, but doing anything harder than that is beyond my rudimentary skills.

Also, is anybody able to access the map posted on page 9? I plan on making some more maps in the future, so it'd be good to find out if other people can access them.
icaro10010

Post by icaro10010 »

I made a new conquest map. Have fun
Attachments
conquest_tangia.zip
Fixed bug in scenario.
(4.23 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Last edited by icaro10010 on September 20th, 2010, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Mabuse wrote:and i thought you could change some names in order to make it possible ? ;)
I am not strong in city naming. Feel free if anybody wants to rename.
Or, would be some little changes enough? Like Maria=Moria, Mordor=Murdur... I remember a book was named Harry Trotter or similar way.
Lich_Lord wrote:Also, is anybody able to access the map posted on page 9? I plan on making some more maps in the future, so it'd be good to find out if other people can access them.
It worked for me, I tried a turn and got a correct bonus.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, one of the little downfalls of the middleearth map (would be renamed to "midlands map") is that "Mordor" (and all the other sides) dont have own recruitment lists.

this should be changed of course.

btw, there is still the "issue" tha undead feature the 20gold ghosts, but Mordor in midlands map would have for sure the 20Gold ghosts (representing nazgul)

i wil see what i can do.

@Lich Lord: i guess we all started like this, unless you dont chnage something you dont understand i dont think there wil be problems.

i will upload a version with the improved recruitment lists (all sides get lt cav and an infantry, undead 20g unit will be a necromancer)
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

I somewhat recently made Conquest_Thebes, inspired by the city of Thebes, in Egypt. Its a normal sized map, with 63 villages, and it pretty well balanced for standard games. Playing capital mode with this map, however, isn't well balanced because certain spawns are much better than others, mostly because the only undead villages are located in the southern part of the map. That problem will become less significant if I manage to add a desert faction with the help of Amangon. Either way, I recommend this map for standard games, and for team, or 1v1 games too, though, playing a 1v1 capital game will not be very good on this map.
Attachments
thebes.map
(49.25 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
conquest_thebes.cfg
(12.01 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, sorry to lich lord, i hand over the *.pbl file.
i haven gotten to work on conquest yet.

so lichlord is now the official maintainer.
wtf_is_this

Post by wtf_is_this »

then good luck lich.For desert faction u can use desert elves from UtBS.
Ashe

Post by Ashe »

at 5gold there is the pickman, but just the humans have them
i ve thinked in making a tanker unit who have more HP and hit more but have less strikes and few MP (like pickman).

in elves the tanker should be the woses (image and maybe name)
in humans the tanker shoul be heavy infantary (or pickman)
in orcsshould be a troll
in swamps and water i didnt find something to be a tank

i will like having this units in games but how i do them??
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

Ashe wrote:at 5gold there is the pickman, but just the humans have them
Other factions posses advantages that the humans don't have, such as elves and orcs have light calvary, so its best that the humans get some advantage too. The pikeman is one advantage that the humans have over other factions because they can be better at capital mode. Adding a pike like unit to other factions would just further weaken the balance between humans, and other factions.

Secondly, if you're suggesting adding this as a 5 gold unit, there is already the pikeman for the humans. Though, it could work to add a shock trooper as a 10 or 20 gold unit for the humans.

If you would like to create the units though Ashe, you could post them on the forums for others to use, I I'd be able to add them to the add-ons server, I think. Its not to hard to create the units, I think that all you have to do is add them to the recruit_menus.cfg and utils.cfg located in the data/add-ons/Conquest/utils folder. Once you do that, I believe you just modify the units so that they have the desired amount of HP, damage, strikes, ect. You'll see how to do this by looking at the code used on other units.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Lich_Lord wrote:Its not to hard to create the units, I think that all you have to do is add them to the recruit_menus.cfg and utils.cfg located in the data/add-ons/Conquest/utils folder. Once you do that, I believe you just modify the units so that they have the desired amount of HP, damage, strikes, ect. You'll see how to do this by looking at the code used on other units.
right.

btw adding units is not hard, balance is hard. i suggest you discuss new units here in this thread before you add them. i may give also my opinion about that.

what i realy want to suggest is to add lt cav also for the human faction
just take the lvl1 horde and use the stats of a 3gold unit, but 10 moves of course.
the differences will be the defense values

btw, i read you want to add custom units to the conquest upload.
the reason why this wasnt done before is that ONCE you do this no people without the mod will be able to join the game. remember that.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

Mabuse wrote:
btw, i read you want to add custom units to the conquest upload.
the reason why this wasnt done before is that ONCE you do this no people without the mod will be able to join the game. remember that.
I am trying to add another race to conquest, however, I plan to add them to only a few new conquest maps that I am making. Therefore, I believe that the current conquest maps without this new race will still be completely playable since they won't require the new faction.

I'm having trouble adding the new race though, so it might not happen if I can not figure out how to add it.
Ashe

Post by Ashe »

Im making a conquest map and i finished it but its not working, at wesnoth it say processor symbol SET_LABEL expects 3 arguments, but has 4 arguments at add-ons/conquest/scenarios/conquest_awalafar.cfg:42 included from add-ons/Conques/_main.cfg:7
whats that?
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

I'm not totally sure, but I'm going to guess that it means that you made some kind of mistake when you made one of your labels. You probably want to go over the cfg again to rule out any typos that you might have made.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

So I've been trying to figure out how to get this Conquest add-ons server working, and I just figured it out. :)

However, in order to figure it out I ended up putting everything I had done to conquest on the add-ons server. So that means that if you currently download conquest, you'd be able to look at all the maps I've been working on and get a peek at the almost complete Kalifa faction, which you will need the add-on to play btw.

Note that if you do decide to download the conquest add-on within the next few days, you won't be able to play the conquest thebes map since I added the Kalifa faction too them, and they still have a couple bugs.

Also, I think that means that there will be one unfinished map on the add-ons, since I'm having a little bit of trouble coding it, but if people just sit tight, I should figure out what WML mistake I made in coding it.