[Complete] Wesnoth Duel Tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

pg wrote:I would prefer establishing some sort of standard settings because in the long run I think it's needed. All other competitive games eventually settle on settings too. If there no standard or semi-standard settings you can never balance the game for competitive play.
I would not suggest a single set of settings, because I don't think it's needed.
Wesnoth need not be a competitive game, and it need not be like other games.
It need not be balanced for competitive play. It need only be balanced for casual play.

I was mostly going to use my duel maps and I design them to work well for the current tournament settings. I should be able to make a few more good duel maps so there will at least be 3+ maps. If you have any ideas for maps I'd like to hear those too. I already have a new one in the works thanks to some ideas from skel.
Gafgarion wrote:I would disagree, the first player to go has an advantage because they're the first to get to any chokepoints on the map.
pg wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:Seriously, this kind of thing happens, and if it happens in a tournament.... well there's no way to prevent that.
This is part of what makes multiplayer so fun. The result can be anything! Just because you are losing doesn't mean you still can't win the game with a little luck. Isn't this why so many people like football(soccer)?
That's why I don't want a rank...

And for lilepo2023: I joined this forum to voice my opinion and I will continue to voice my opinion, my whole opinion, and nothing but my opinion until I cease to be a participant in this forum.

EDIT: This is weird... this page seems to be squeezed to the left.

EDIT II: That's better. It was caused by this:

Code: Select all

[quote="pg][quote="Elvish Pillager"]
note the missing ".
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

My schedule is far too crazy to be able to agree on a time and hold it, and I'd get my butt kicked.

As for the rules, will observers be allowed? And, what if an observer crashed the game or gave unfair advice? And, in cheating, you should outlaw debug mode.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

MadMax wrote:you should outlaw debug mode.
I always use debug mode, to find out how much gold opponents have...
pg

Post by pg »

MadMax wrote:As for the rules, will observers be allowed? And, what if an observer crashed the game or gave unfair advice? And, in cheating, you should outlaw debug mode.
Observers will be allowed because many people like to watch matches. I hope observers are mature enough to not give advice during the game too much or crash games. Cheating will be hard to stop if anyone is really dead set on doing so.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dacyn wrote:
MadMax wrote:you should outlaw debug mode.
I always use debug mode, to find out how much gold opponents have...
but the setting are FoW, so knowing the enemy's gold is not technically possible, so that debug feature is void.
so you wouldn't use debug in this case.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Elvish Pillager wrote: Wesnoth need not be a competitive game, and it need not be like other games.
It need not be balanced for competitive play. It need only be balanced for casual play.
This is the approach many commercial games take, since commercial games need only be 'good enough' to get people to put down their $50 to buy the game.

They don't have to cater to people who want to play the game at high levels, because relatively few players do this.

One of the differences with Wesnoth is that we do want to cater to players who want to play the game at high levels, competitively.

Of course, most players will prefer to just play it casually, and such players probably shouldn't play in competitive tournaments :) To each, their own...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
olof

Post by olof »

I'm a casual player, but i'd like to try this tournament.
I've other maps for you, PG, I changed the last one like you said (to defensive)
Where can I give you this maps ?

Olof
pg

Post by pg »

Email is fine olof. pgpg7 AT yahoo DOT com. You could also post a thread in the scenario and campaign forum with the files so people can discuss it if they want.
dtw

Post by dtw »

EP seems to be talking about the unbalanced-ness of people having good and bad days and how a whole tournament could rest on such i thing

i believe this is a concern in many sports and the answers is multiple legs - you have the pool stages - why not add best of three to the finals format or something? this should help balance such oddities and is pretty normal practice - they use 7 in the US for their sports for [deleted] sake!
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

dibblethewrecker wrote:they use 7 in the US for their sports for [deleted] sake!
Not in American Football. The playoffs and the Superbowl are just one game each round.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
dtw

Post by dtw »

there is always someone who has to point out an exception to a rule that nonetheless server as a perfectly good example :roll:
pg

Post by pg »

dibblethewrecker wrote:why not add best of three to the finals format or something?
If you had looked at the rules you would have seen this is already done. :P
dtw

Post by dtw »

add sorry - what is EP upsetting himself about then?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

dibblethewrecker wrote:add sorry - what is EP upsetting himself about then?
Because it didn't used to be there....
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
dtw

Post by dtw »

sorry EP :(

pg - how long had it been there, i wonder? this is a rhetorical question