Maps beautification

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dunno

Maps beautification

Post by Dunno »

After I'd downloaded 1.10.0 I've noticed two things:
1. A lot of awesome terrain decors were added, including mushrooms, fences, railroads, differents types of grass, water, bridges, dirt and the list goes on. Many of them are a brilliant piece of work (my favorites are the railroad tracks and fences, these transitions are magnificent!). They really can change the appearance of many maps, and are a big step for Wesnoth to become a beautiful game (because, let's face it, to this day the graphics were in most cases schematic and rather plain and simple).
2. Many mainline multiplayer maps (but I guess it also applies to campaigns) lack those. Some maps still use only one type of every terrain and don't contain any of embellishments.

A question rises, is anyone running a project of upgrading maps to modern wesnoth quality, at the moment? And if not, could I and maybe other wesnoth users do it? It's a rather simple task, I'd say, and doesn't require any high skills and knowledge. It does require time, though, and I absolutely understand that most of the, uh, "serious" developers don't have time for minor stuff like this. But I also understand the joy of polishing details of your own map and I don't want to spoil it. However, if you'd like some help with this, I'd be honored to work on it. It would be great to finally contribute something here, it's about time :)

Cheers!

P.S: Of course, I don't mean any balance breaking changes, only adding more types of terrain and some decors.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?