Save personal game data on a server (with login or without)

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
DarkAmex

Save personal game data on a server (with login or without)

Post by DarkAmex »

I play at Wesnoth on many device and system and i think that it should be wonderful
to have a simple way to save and restore a game from a device to another

So when I save a good game on my pc I can continue it on my android phone, iphone or my tablet
when I want.

I think that the best way should be to have a server that can store all personal game

What do you think about?
If you want to help the italian translation you can subscribe the mailing list at
wesnoth-l10n-it-subscribe[AT]cirulla[DOT]net

My e-shop project:
http://www.openbaza.it
Dugi

Re: Save personal game data on a server (with login or witho

Post by Dugi »

You can always copy your save files from your android device to your PC. I am not quite sure if that work on iPhone, but that is a problem of iPhone. You can improve this copying by including your saves folder in a cloud service like Dropbox or Google Drive, so that your save files are synced.

The server would need a tremendous capacity to keep all multiplayer saves, badly designed add-on features can bloat save files even to 2 megabytes of size, and if you consider the quantity of them... From the other hand, it would prevent players from checking enemy players' positions under the fog by loading a save file in another client in hotseat multiplayer and using debug mode to remove the fog/shroud.
phibud

Re: Save personal game data on a server (with login or witho

Post by phibud »

For things like this, I like to use dropbox to sync my saved games. You have to set it up on each computer you are going to use, but after that it's automatic and requires no interaction. The only hiccup is if you are using it at two locations at the same time and are saving to the same file (then it's last one in wins)

So here's how I do it.
Close Wesnoth (if it's open)
Download dropbox and install
Note the dropbox folder location (mine is G:\dropbox)
Create a folder for your Wesnoth saved games (e.g. G:\dropbox\Wesnoth)
Move your current saved games to dropbox location (G:\games\Wesnoth\userdata\saves -> G:\dropbox\Wesnoth)
Remove saves directory (should be empty as you copied your saved games to your dropbox folder)
Open command prompt and change into the userdata folder

Code: Select all

G:
cd \games\Wesnoth\userdata
Create a symbolic link that points to your dropbox wesnoth folder

Code: Select all

mklink /D saves G:\Dropbox\Wesnoth
And you're done. The steps will have to be repeated on each machine, but you obviously won't need to copy your saved games to your dropbox unless they are newer.

Android would require a couple more steps, as I'm not sure you can create a link without a rooted device.