1.15 Roadmap Discussion thread

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

1.15 Roadmap Discussion thread

Post by Pentarctagon »

This thread is a place to discuss anything related to the 1.15 Roadmap as needed.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: 1.15 Roadmap Discussion thread

Post by gfgtdf »

Thee is a related github issue https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/4750 not sure how up to date it is
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Anything that was added to that checklist that the person who added it still intends to implement should be added under a point release on the 1.15 Roadmap wiki page. My guess is that some/most of what's there is still valid, but probably not complete or up to date anymore.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I don't think it makes sense to have goals for certain 1.15 releses. We have goals for 1.16 and that's it it probably doesn't matter too much in whcih 1.15 release it will go.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

What people think they can have done by when will affect when 1.16 is planned for, though. Just saying to add things that people want to have done by 1.16 doesn't really help when the actual date for 1.16 is currently still undetermined, so I'd like to decide on the 1.16 date based on when people think they can have which changes done by.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

To add to that, I'm not especially bothered about whether changes end up getting implemented earlier or (to a certain extent) later than initially expected - things happen, difficulties are encountered, etc and there's no way to ever fully account for how things will end up ahead of time. What I'm trying to solve is the situation where there are lots of changes that people probably want to implement before 1.16, and that list will also probably change and grow as time goes on as well, but 1.16 does need to actually be released at some point. So if everyone adds the changes they want to do and at least a guess of when they can be done by, there will be more information available to help determine a good release date for 1.16 based on which changes it can be expected to include as well as which features will most likely end up bumped back to 1.17.

The absolute last thing I'm trying to do is lock people into dates and then get mad later when something changes, if that's a concern.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

So i want do to basciaiyll 3 things:
1) The api to add features in 1.16, this is in particular the campaignd part
2) mainlining WCII, this ideally invonved some work from other in particular wrt to re-adding the dunefolk faction
3) Some api changes that in particular result in less macro usage and (hopefully) store less information in savefiles and thus easier wesnoth compatibility.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

So i added these point to that wiki page, note however that the last part 'readd dunefolk to WCII' is something i probably cannot do myself.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

gfgtdf wrote: July 18th, 2020, 8:53 pm So i added these point to that wiki page, note however that the last part 'readd dunefolk to WCII' is something i probably cannot do myself.
Is there a particular person whose help you'd need, or is it a different type of problem?
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Pentarctagon wrote: July 18th, 2020, 9:33 pm
gfgtdf wrote: July 18th, 2020, 8:53 pm So i added these point to that wiki page, note however that the last part 'readd dunefolk to WCII' is something i probably cannot do myself.
Is there a particular person whose help you'd need, or is it a different type of problem?
No not specific person, its mostly about balance, and i'm not that good of a player myself.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I would like to get at least the Lua reorganization and map generator PR finished for 1.16, though at this moment I have no plans for when I will get work done on them. Most likely I can't get anything substantial done before November or so.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

That's fine - 1.16 is still a ways off.