Nosmos Survival

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TuxThePenguin

Nosmos Survival

Post by TuxThePenguin »

I was a big fan of the 3 player survival. I recently came back to the game to find that the map pack was not available in 1.16.
I had a copy locally of the version of 1.14. As it looked unmaintained I've fixed the obvious WML breakages and uploaded a version so I can share the experience with newcomer friends to the game. I'm going to spend a couple of days testing it. but so far it loads up and plays the first few rounds as I remember it to the best of my recollection.

I've got a copy of the code here https://github.com/TuxThePenguin76/Wesn ... rvivalPack if anyone wants to help add translations or have suggestions of improvements/changes.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Nosmos Survival

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

You posted this in the wrong topic. You should have posted in "Multiplayer Development"

Additionally, the 3p player scenario one seems to be impossible to even beat.
I defeated the final wave, but imagine my shock when I was blitzed by the 3 enemy sides with 30+ units each. I know survivals are meant to be challenging, but this kind of ending ruins it for me. Why bother if there is no hope?
Screenshot 2022-01-02 205106.png

The 2v2 one was cool.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 2:53 pm You posted this in the wrong topic. You should have posted in "Multiplayer Development"
Moved.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
TuxThePenguin

Post by TuxThePenguin »

Lord Nightmare,

I think the old version would cap the number of AI to the number of players , I will take a look at the logic when I get a moment.
When I attempted it solo i turned off 2 of the AI's so that I only had to deal with one lot of AI and could choke them in the tunnel. As I think was how it was played in the olden days.

I don't recall being able to affect the AIs in 1.14 at all. But could on 1.16

I'll build a 1.14 version of wesnoth to compare behavior.
TuxThePenguin

Post by TuxThePenguin »

Ok, looking at 1.14 default behavior (for this mod) was that if an AI did not have an opponent the boss was spawned but did not recruit. But based on the screenshot this is no longer the case. I'm learning WML as I go along , will see if I can match the old process.

If anyone wants to post a suggested MR the github is open :-)
TuxThePenguin

Post by TuxThePenguin »

A tweaked version has been uploaded .. basically if at the start time any of the players are dead ( set to 'none' ) the corresponding boss is set to zero gold. given they are passive they can not recruit to capture villages to increase their income.

It seems to play ok to me after only a few minutes of testing
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

TuxThePenguin wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 10:59 pm A tweaked version has been uploaded .. basically if at the start time any of the players are dead ( set to 'none' ) the corresponding boss is set to zero gold. given they are passive they can not recruit to capture villages to increase their income.

It seems to play ok to me after only a few minutes of testing
I suggest you play from start to finish. The leaders get a 2 spawned bats who cap villages for them. Additionally, you have set gold to zero but not income, so they would still be accumulating gold...getting around 500ish by turn 40.
I have a better solution, if players sides 5 and 6 are set to empty or are dead, then kill off their opposite AI leaders, and maybe not open the middle segments. That way, one of the players has a chance to actually finish it. Otherwise, it's just a wipe at the end.
Screenshot 2022-01-04 060750.png
TuxThePenguin

Post by TuxThePenguin »

Have you played in the last 2 hours with the update? (1.4.12) Unless I'm doing something wrong with the upload (I'm testing locally with the version I'm uploading) the de-activated enemy AI don't spawn bats and does nothing as far as I can see at least as far as the 6th turn. If there are issues I can certainly kill the AIs rather than set their gold to zero. But given my investigation of the mod in 1.14, the bosses still exist and there though stationary marginally add to the difficulty.

I'm newish to the add-on release process and WML as a whole and would like guidance if I'm doing something stupid.
TuxThePenguin

Post by TuxThePenguin »

I did a clean install of 1.16.1 in a VM and downloaded the addon from the official repo and played to turn 30 playing a single side. At turn 30 the AI side I was against started recruiting troops .. the other two "disabled" sides had no money no bats and did nothing.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Okay, I played the updated one and made it up to turn 50 this time. Still cannot win it. The AI side ends with enough income to recruit like 2 level 2 units per turn. (maybe like 5-6 level 1 units per turn if a non-AoH type era is played). It feels like an avalanche ruining any hope of winning regardless of a level 3 defensive wall on the bottleneck.

TBH, it was fun making this far though. Perhaps this is like Team Survival, as in, not meant to be won in any case.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

If you cant beat survival normally add enough modifications until you can.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Ravana wrote: January 7th, 2022, 7:37 pm If you cant beat survival normally add enough modifications until you can.
I made it to turn 50 after doubling my income, maybe setting it from default +2 to +8 might do it. I have a preference for trying to win it using the default set values (100G/(+2G/turn)) but for this one, I suppose I have to modify.
Ouch...he recruits half a castle XD
Screenshot 2022-01-08 022648.png
TuxThePenguin

Post by TuxThePenguin »

I've always found it very hard.. It is easier with 1 team mate. I normally up the starting income by 50 gold. But I don't think is is substantively harder than it was in older versions. That said I'm sure the AI has changed considerably since it was first written - there is a version on the add-on server for wesnoth 1.2 from 2007.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

TuxThePenguin wrote: January 7th, 2022, 9:28 pm I've always found it very hard.. It is easier with 1 team mate. I normally up the starting income by 50 gold. But I don't think is is substantively harder than it was in older versions. That said I'm sure the AI has changed considerably since it was first written - there is a version on the add-on server for wesnoth 1.2 from 2007.
TBH, the waves 22-26 are the main reducers. Not much is left standing after the skirmishers have their way. I adjusted the AI to be smarter if my era is played so maybe that was a factor as well. Maybe I can try with 3 players with 2 AI sides at maxed income and maybe 200g. Let's see what chaos cooks up :lol:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

3p - Survival replay 20220111-213109.gz
requires War of Legends
(45.06 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
I did it.
Strategy used:
1. Undead (faction with high pierce and blade resists from most units)
(most waves had blade and pierce including the reducer waves)
2. built up veterans
3. waited for door to open
4. blitzed north and forcefully advanced to the enemy leader.

Any modifications:
maxed income