Beginner quiz on unit statistics

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

stencil

Beginner quiz on unit statistics

Post by stencil »

The other day I almost tried my first multiplayer game, but then I remembered, I’m not actually that good at this game. I like playing campaigns on easy, for goodness sakes. So then I wondered if there were some way I could objectively assess how ready I might be for multiplayer, like a quiz or something similar. In searching I only found one* small example, so I thought, perhaps I could study a bit and make my own. Below is a set of ten questions meant for beginners like me (all determined off of base values unless noted otherwise). (Also note that these are just based on statistics, not what might actually be best strategy.)

*June 2023 edit: Inky has a great add-on on the 1.16 server called "Tactics Puzzles" that I highly recommend for testing you knowledge in specific scenarios.*

I’d love if people had thoughts or wanted to provide their own example test questions! Without further ado:
1. Which of these has the highest base movement points?
Drake Glider
Gryphon Rider
Elvish Scout
Cavalryman
Wolf Rider
Bat
Answer:
2. Rank these in order from smallest to largest base impact damage at night. (Bonus: would the order of 'most likely net enemy HP loss' change if attacking a Blood Bat?)
Dwarvish Fighter
Footpad
Wose
Heavy Infantry
Troll Whelp
Walking Corpse
Answer:
3. Which of these does not have at least one terrain type with 70% defense?
Saurian Skirmisher
Thief
Merman Hunter
Fencer
Merman Fighter
Naga Fighter
Answer:
4. Which of these would have the largest maximum damage increase from the strong trait in a single round of combat?
Drake Clasher
Ulfserker
Horseman
Goblin Spearman (i.e. meaning not weak)
More than one of the above
All of the above
Answer:
5. Which of these has the lowest ratio of maximum base ranged damage relative to cost?
Drake Burner
Dwarvish Thunderer
Poacher
Elvish Archer
Bowman
Orcish Archer
Skeleton Archer
Answer:
6. Which of these does not add a unique damage type or weapon special to their faction?
Saurian Augur
Elvish Shaman
Mage
Orcish Assassin
Ghoul
Dark Adept
Answer:
7. Which of these has the largest increase in base maximum melee damage relative to their level 1 unit?
Drake Warrior
Dwarvish Steelclad
Elvish Hero
Swordsman
Orcish Warrior
Deathblade
Answer:
8. Which of these requires the equivalent of more than four but fewer than six level one kills to advance a level (i.e. needs 33-40 experience)?
Saurian Augur
Dwarvish Guardsman
Bowman
Orcish Archer
Dark Adept
More than one of the above
Answer:
9. Which attack has the best likelihood of landing at least two total strikes (regardless of source)?
A Mage attacking a Skeleton on a fungus
An Orcish Assassin and a Troll Whelp attacking a Fencer on sand
A Skeleton Archer and a Ghoul attacking an Elvish Fighter in a forest
Two Drake Clashers attacking a Thief on a hill
Answer:
10. How many recruitable unit types does Dunefolk have (i.e. level 1 units)?
Answer:
Bonus 1: Which pairing would have the largest potential difference in damage dealt vs received (i.e. assuming all strikes hit)?
Spearman attacking Drake Fighter at day
Dwarvish Guardsman attacking Grunt at night
Elvish Fighter attacking Skeleton at day
Skeleton attacking Dwarvish Guardsman at dusk
Drake Fighter attacking Elvish Fighter at dawn
Grunt attacking Spearman at dusk
Answer:
And here’s a simple scoring guide (number correct):
0: Mal-Ravanal’s Walking Corpse
1: Tallin’s Peasant
2: Kapou'e's Goblin Spearman
3: Ardonna’s Bat
4: Asheviere’s Bowman
5: Arvith’s Horseman
6: Mal Keshar’s Dark Adept
7: Rugur’s Runesmith
8: Burin’s Steelclad
9: Baldras’ Senior Village Elder
10: Kaleh’s Sun Sylph!
11: Hugo's Freebooter (Altaz Mariner)
(I would probably have been a corpse if I took this quiz last week.)
Do let me know if you have other good sample test questions, perhaps some for more intermediate or even advanced players!

(Edited as explained in comments to improve questions.)
Last edited by stencil on June 12th, 2023, 5:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thank you to everyone who has worked on this game!
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Beginner quiz on unit statistics

Post by Atreides »

I got 4. Feel free to crush me in MP anytime. :)

Oh actually I think you got one answer wrong. I'm sure that the Ulfserker does the most damage. You forgot berserk. That's 30 rounds!
stencil

Post by stencil »

Ah, you are completely correct! I apologize for the error, and use this as evidence that you'd probably beat me in multiplayer :) Thanks for pointing that out.

I was trying to come up with questions that involved every recruitable unit in multiplayer, and ulfserker got lumped in with those other specialty ones. I guess maybe I should have asked, Which of these has its own unique animation for attacking Dark Adepts :D

[For future forum searchers, since I couldn't find it on my own searching, I thought I'd just mention that the recruitable units are the ones with the small pawn icon in the top right corner of their squares in the Wesnoth Units Database, when looking at one of the eras including Default. The crowns in the same relative location, next to the level 2 identifier, represent units that can be faction leaders in multiplayer games, if I understand correctly.]
Last edited by stencil on March 29th, 2022, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jarom
Location: Green Isle, Irdya or Poland, Earth - I'm not quite sure

Post by Jarom »

Having finished the quiz with score of "Ardonna's bat" I'm oddly satisfied. Having finished the campaign, I'm now lvl 2 beating all other possible outcomes in mobility, and I don't get out much, only occasionally scouting the frontlines and grabbing unprotected villages.

That being said, I wanna question both the practicality of most of those questions for multiplayer as well as some answers to them.
Q1:
This question is good and makes sense, although effective mobility really depends on the map, because many are mostly flat, and what really matters for scouts is whether you can reach a village in a turn or not, so that one MP more or slightly better movement costs might or might not matter at all.

Q2:
Question itself is interesting and I underestimated the wose (though it only has like 10 or 12 base dmg... weird), though due to low terrain defense, terrible resistances, high costs, and bad matchup against its common night foes against which impact is effective, I'd question the practicality of such attack. Setting that aside, an actual error in thinking/formulating would be that attacking a bat changes anything in base dmg. It only changes the possible outcomes of the fight, base damage remains the same.

Q3:
No complaints. Actually useful question. Especially if you know where exactly those units get that 70%, because reefs are rare in multiplayer.

Q4:
Setting aside the ulferkser mentioned, it makes sense. Though, ulferkser is unpredictable.

Q5:
This is mostly pointless calculations, except that I find thunderer truly useless. Also, in the results you forgot to factor in the dextrous trait, which is non-negligible and has IIRC 0.36 chance to make elvish archer the best.

Q6:
IMHO your wording is wrong. Attack type IIRC is used in Wesnoth lingo, meaning damage type or range+damage type. In that meaning, Shaman, Assassin and Ghoul also have damage types that are already there, though former two bring it to ranged. Be more specific what factors we should count in.

Q7:
This is completely impractical. I'd laugh if a Skeleton attacked my Dwarvish Guard at dusk for that little bit of extra damage difference - don't they have DAs or what? Not to mention chance to hit, strong trait and other factors. It all brings no added value to a beginner's game.

Q8:
The difference is negligible, so it doesn't really matter. Also in multiplayer you often play on 60% experience multiplier, effectively nullifying the differences. Ask about the mage.

Q9:
Again, there's virtually no difference. And Steelclad's increase in survivability is the best anyway due to resistances.

Q10:
This question is good for multiplayer beginners, even though it doesn't bring much in terms of quality, because it requires general understanding of the game and encompasses something that is not so well known from campaigns.

Oh, and treat my advices with a pinch of salt. I'm a multiplayer beginner.
stencil

Post by stencil »

Thanks for your comments, @Jarom! As I mentioned, my experience in multiplayer games is exactly 0, so I am very happy to hear from more knowledgeable players.

I agree with your basic idea, that many of the questions are not that helpful for actual multiplayer games. My goal was to come up with some questions about all the recruitable multiplayer units that had objective answers. So I tried not to ask questions that might be disputable, even if most experts would agree on the answers the majority of the time (e.g. if playing Knalgans, would you prefer having five Thunderers or six Poachers—I suspect it’s “it depends,” but even here I’m not sure about the generally “correct” answer!). Unfortunately, that meant I didn’t ask about practical situations more likely to come up.

I’ll definitely edit the questions to fix some of the issues you noted. Most of the questions were just meant to test knowledge of different factors defining each unit, like cost in Q5 or damage, TOD and resistances in G7. So yes, they’re impractical, but I believe might still help a beginner like me think about what makes some units better counters than others. That’s interesting about multiplayer often being played on 60% experience multiplier, thanks for the tip. And you’re spot on that dexterous Elvish Archer is the best of the ranged in Q5 (though to my defense, the question was asking about the worst).

May the wind be always at the back of Ardonna’s bat.
Jarom
Location: Green Isle, Irdya or Poland, Earth - I'm not quite sure

Post by Jarom »

I've reviewed the corrected questions. 1-6 and 10 are fine now.

Q7 although correct, needs a large amount of calculations, because the answer is not obvious and requires detailed knowledge about exact resistance values. It makes it worthless as quiz question (nobody will bother), as multiplayer question (those are not all possible in a single turn as alternative choices) and as beginner question (rarely anybody except experts know exact resistance values by heart, because they are easy to check). You could improve this question a lot by placing the same unit (eg. Dwarvish Guardsman) on one side, with different enemies and TODs, but you might also consider a completely different question instead.

Q8 and Q9 simply have too few of a difference to be significant. Pick units that actually have visibly different XP/HP values, or ask about increase in main attack's base damage on advancement because that's much easier to remember. For example, beginners should remember that advancing an orcish grunt is much easier than advancing a human mage - 12xp difference with 100% modifier (though harder than orcish archer - also 12xp difference), but they don't care about Augur's 28 vs Poacher's 29 exp for level up.
stencil

Post by stencil »

Thanks again for your suggestions, @Jarom. I agree with your opinions, so I adapted Q9 into Q7, changed Q8, came up with a new Q9, and made the old Q7 a bonus.

I'll be glad to hear if other people also have thoughts about additional good, objective questions for beginners to multiplayer. Thanks!