New music or SFX?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ThatMusicWriter

New music or SFX?

Post by ThatMusicWriter »

I saw on a topic from a couple years ago that the devs were looking for some atmospheric music to break up the constant battle music. I was wondering if there were still needs in that department or if anything else was wanted/needed. Do any SFX need to be updated? Maybe more diverse sounds for spells or updated sounds for different damage types? Either way, I'd love to help.

I'm new to the community, so forgive me if this is inappropriate, but I'm curious what the policy on commissions is. Obviously, being an open-source project, I understand that there are almost certainly limitations on that front, and I'm an up-and-comer, so the clout is solid motivation on its own. Just let me know if any audio is needed (even if it's remixing existing tracks) and I will gladly help out. I've read all the guidelines and am no stranger to reading briefs, so be as specific or vague as you want if there's something the game needs.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: New music or SFX?

Post by Pentarctagon »

Welcome :)

It's been several years since we've had anyone working on new or update music or sounds, so anything you read about what we need or would like to have is probably still true (links to what you read in previous threads would be helpful). As far as commissions, they're something that we do occasionally, though at the moment we're also still working through how to get those done after having joined SPI recently.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ThatMusicWriter

I saw a lot of discussion around this post, specifically a dev calling out a need for mood music for story panels and such, as well as ideas for things like specific character themes or faction themes.

If you like, I can start working on themes for factions there isn't a file for on the Github and post WIP in the forum. If you like what I offer, then I'd appreciate if you could find out how commissions work under your new financial situation.

Sound like a plan?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

ThatMusicWriter wrote: July 28th, 2023, 12:45 am I saw a lot of discussion around this post, specifically a dev calling out a need for mood music for story panels and such, as well as ideas for things like specific character themes or faction themes.

If you like, I can start working on themes for factions there isn't a file for on the Github and post WIP in the forum. If you like what I offer, then I'd appreciate if you could find out how commissions work under your new financial situation.

Sound like a plan?
That sounds reasonable.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
egallager

Post by egallager »

ThatMusicWriter wrote: July 28th, 2023, 12:45 am I saw a lot of discussion around this post, specifically a dev calling out a need for mood music for story panels and such, as well as ideas for things like specific character themes or faction themes.
Yeah that thread has a bunch of music ideas in it; as far as SFX go, well, here's a GitHub issue for an idea I had for one: #7085
(also, I think it'd be cool if units made sounds when they're placed on the map, too, but I don't have an issue for that one...)
ThatMusicWriter

egallager wrote: July 30th, 2023, 8:47 pm Yeah that thread has a bunch of music ideas in it; as far as SFX go, well, here's a GitHub issue for an idea I had for one: #7085
(also, I think it'd be cool if units made sounds when they're placed on the map, too, but I don't have an issue for that one...)
I can make the SFX if someone else programs the interactions. I'll see if anyone on the Discord wants to collaborate when I have the time. Started on a theme for the Drakes so it'll be a while before I start something else, but I'll add that to my queue because it's a good pair of ideas.
egallager

Post by egallager »

ThatMusicWriter wrote: July 31st, 2023, 2:34 pm Started on a theme for the Drakes
Nice! I remember finding a sprite that someone posted to these forums of a Drake Harpist a while back, which is odd, since none of the UMC drake-related tracks that I'm aware of feature harps:
Drake Harpist
Drake Harpist
drake-harpist_831.png (1.46 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
Just in case you need some additional inspiration!
Example UMC drake-related track:
Sapient wrote: November 28th, 2013, 4:03 am Not mainline quality, but for UMC you might consider "Flight of the Drakes" by [PA]NotUncleDave a.k.a. Ark http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/azxe/Fl ... the-Drakes
(link is dead, but it's archived here: http://web.archive.org/web/20091211013016/http://www.tindeck.com/listen/azxe)