wesnoth rpg

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
ChrundleTheGreat

wesnoth rpg

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

ok, so i dont know if this is gonna sound appealing to anyone :hmm: , and i dont even know if it belongs to this forum, but i recently got into that whole d&d style of game, where you think of a character and imagine what they would do in a fictional world (its more complicated that this but im assuming most of you are at least somewhat familiar with the concept), i downloaded "dnd beyond" ive been reading through the rules and building characters and i keep wanting for there to be a tBfW version of this, i notice that the vocabulary can be sort of similar sometimes, even leading me to believe that wesnoth was somewhat inspired by d&d, an example that comes to mind is the alingments lawful, chaotic and neutral, but i have found more similarities before (some more about the logic of the game). i think taking the gameplay and rules of d&d and writing in the races, locations and general lore of wesnoth could be really fun (and hopefully not that hard), and it migth just be my social circles but im lead to believe that d&d is kind of booming rigth now, at least on youtube i see a lot of people playing the game and getting a big enough audience to make straming shows of their campaigns. i think if we had a tabletop rpg channels like "critical role" or "dimension 20" could be interested in playing it, and a manual could be sold creating revenue for tBfW.
so i guess the pitch is to anyone who is also interested on the proyect, i thought the writters forum could be a good start, given that we would have to organize and complement all the existing lore of the game. also we would need game design skills, deciding wich traits make sense for each race and wich classes to make avialabe and how they work, as well as balancing other aspects of the game.
its kind of compicated but we can use other RPGs as a blueprint.
i hope other people are interested on this too, it could be a lot of fun and attract more people to the game. :)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: wesnoth rpg

Post by Pentarctagon »

Though it's not D&D, there's https://diceystories.com/ you could take a look at.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ChrundleTheGreat

:D yeah, i meant something like this, although i was thinking just to make the rules races and classes for people to make their own campaign.
thanks, i think ill try to contact them, see if theyre interested on making something like that. :geek:
ChrundleTheGreat

although i think more people could be needed, if anybody is interested please let me know...
(i think this could turn into a thread in the "forum games" forum or the discord server if we could developh this proyect)
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Around the start of this year, there was a big argument about licensing, because the owners of D&D were trying to retroactively change the license of older versions of D&D, affecting the rights to add-ons or campaigns written using that old license. There's a few alternative systems similar to D&D, so personally I'd avoid choosing the one that has its licensing controlled by WOTC.

(While I have an official role in Wesnoth, this is written only in a personal capacity and this is just my personal opinion.)
ChrundleTheGreat

i actually talked to the GM from diceystories, and im thinking of maybe using "genesys" instead (although i really haven gotten familiar at all with the system yet).
im thinking of trying to make it into a sligthly diferent type of rpg, with an optional focus on more "organized" combat, where the members of the party can choose to be comanding multiple characters/creatures each during encounters (kind of like a multiplayer scenario) as their main style, by forming aliances with diferent factions in order to get access to the various characters/creatures afiliated with said faction. althoug of course you could still choose a diferent style, where youre not a leader and cant recruit but you have say, extraordinary magical abilities, for that i would like there to be some sort of leadership class besides figther, and magi, where all of your progresion goes into how good your "soldiers" are, giving you the choice of being what ever "unit type" you want.
i would also like to keep the concept of "factions" having diferent variations of the same class for each faction ; a shaman simply being the "conection with the magic and spirituality of the world" but that would mean diferent traits/abilities for diferent factions.
if anybody has any sugestions that would be great, i think ill ask in the writers forum for ideas on how to design a magic system for this(if thats ok :hmm: , although it migth go in miscellaneous :doh: )
thanks for sugesting to switch from dnd.