Maintaining campgen

Discussion of Lua and LuaWML support, development, and ideas.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hermestrismi

Maintaining campgen

Post by hermestrismi »

I don't know if this is the right place to post. If I m wrong, please direct me to the right forum.
I want to know if there is a way to update an old campaign that use campgen (python 2.x) mechanism
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Maintaining campgen

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

hermestrismi wrote: November 1st, 2023, 4:56 pm I don't know if this is the right place to post. If I m wrong, please direct me to the right forum.
I want to know if there is a way to update an old campaign that use campgen (python 2.x) mechanism
The output of campgen is just the regular old campaign so the same update methods will apply. Campgen has not been worked for years. Like maybe nearly 2 decades of so.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

I am asking because, when I run wmlint for an old campaign, I usually change whatever related to campgen manually based on what the original author tried to do. I wondered if there is another to deal with it.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

hermestrismi wrote: November 1st, 2023, 8:41 pm I am asking because, when I run wmlint for an old campaign, I usually change whatever related to campgen manually based on what the original author tried to do. I wondered if there is another to deal with it.
No clue. I usually let old campaigns rest in their graves if they are not complete.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 10:40 am
hermestrismi wrote: November 1st, 2023, 8:41 pm I am asking because, when I run wmlint for an old campaign, I usually change whatever related to campgen manually based on what the original author tried to do. I wondered if there is another to deal with it.
No clue. I usually let old campaigns rest in their graves if they are not complete.
I have always a different opinion. I think that people who worked hard to give birth to a campaign needs to see their works return again. It is like an honorable mention for their efforts
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

I think the usual way is to port from version to version. So for example for a 1.10 campaign, you would port first to 1.12 then from 1.12 to 1.14 then from 1.14 to 1.16, solving the problems each time.

You can also check this forum subject on the port of campaigns: viewtopic.php?p=682851
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

lhybrideur wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 7:47 am I think the usual way is to port from version to version. So for example for a 1.10 campaign, you would port first to 1.12 then from 1.12 to 1.14 then from 1.14 to 1.16, solving the problems each time.

You can also check this forum subject on the port of campaigns: viewtopic.php?p=682851
I usually port to 1.4 then 1.10 then 1.16. I think this is the best way for 1.0 and 1.2.x however it doesn't work for campgen (and it is logic that it doesn't) thus came My question