information on the gods

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ChrundleTheGreat

information on the gods

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

i just finished utbs and im curious if there is more information on the "gods" of wesnoth, like how extensive is the lore around this topic?
Ashmyr

Re: information on the gods

Post by Ashmyr »

From what I know, there isn't much canon information besides UtBS. I think there are some references to gods in TRoW, but it is kept vague at best. The game tries to portray a religiously neutral image, as portrayed by how "Holy" magic was renamed to "Arcane" magic, and most prayers/spells are summoned by vague concepts, rather than a specific god. In some add-ons, such as my own, characters do reference specific gods, but this is obviously not canon and varies quite a bit.
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Northern Rebirth has some references too (although again things tend to be implied rather than explained in explicit detail).

Note that the references to gods in UtBS are quite a bit different from all the other campaigns.
ChrundleTheGreat

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

thanks!
lukas77

Post by lukas77 »

I am afraid but it seems that Wesnoth's god lore isn't super detailed in the game. It's more about the races and factions duking it out. As far as I am aware, there are mentions of gods in some campaigns, but it's not the main focus.

A recommendation that maybe it is useful for you, If you want more about the God topic, you might find fan-made campaigns that dive deeper into it.

Apparently, the official lore leaves it kind of open for creativity!
Bobbi86

Post by Bobbi86 »

In my opinion, religion is generally poorly developed in Vesnota.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Their is a role since the first release of Wesnoth: NROW: no religion on Wesnoth (to avoid any religious conflicts between members) but some UMC didn't apply that role and the borders became more and more flexible.
For example, besides of IftU , you can try Deception chapter 1 campaign where you will find more and more information about gods